Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bio oil

• 17-06-2019 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of a certified bio fuel boiler? Basically I do not want a heat pump as herself wants rads,and I would like to avoid unnecessarily having 20 pv panels on the roof. Will be installing approx 40 solar tubes but that alone plus a boiler will not comply, an alternative of wood pellet boiler was suggested so I'm hoping that a bio fuel boiler would also be compliant?? Just an idea at the moment so any advice is greatly accepted

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,977 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you can have rads and a HP

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jcanty85

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you can have rads and a HP

appreciate you taking the time to get back to me but the question I was asking was in relation to bio fuel boilers, not interested in a heat pump

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Bio oil?
    Depending on the boiler it might possible to burn modified vegetable oil in place of heating oil, but there are both environmental and financial reasons why it’s not really an effective solution. If you currently heat your home with oil and are seeking an alternative then a modern wood-fired boiler or perhaps a heat pump is likely to be better.

One of the key issues is that the amount of liquid biofuel we can produce sustainably in the UK is very small, and can meet only a tiny proportion (less than 5%) of the transport fuel demand – let alone further demand from heating. This applies to both oil from crops like oil seed rape, plus the small amount of waste cooking oil available.

To meet a certain energy demand requires far less land for wood fuel than it would for crops like oil seed rape, as the yield in tonnes of fuel per hectare is much higher for wood. In addition, much less processing is needed to make wood into a useable fuel compared to the processing of oil crops (or indeed the processing of waste cooking oil).

If there is a demand for bio-oils beyond what we can meet in the UK, then much more will be imported. This will push up production overseas from, for example, palm oil – with environmental damage from increased deforestation.

Liquid biofuels (like biodiesel or bioethanol) were generally been used for transport purposes in the UK because there was more financial benefit in doing so (due to taxes, although this is no longer really the case). However, there are not usually financial benefits against lower cost heating fuels.

Bulk vegetable oil or commercial biodiesel will both be much more expensive than heating oil. Making your own biodiesel is an involved process and you’ll still need to get the raw material. This is not straightforward – waste cooking oil is generally now collected by companies that pay for it and do the relevant paperwork to show that they’re dealing with it properly. You’ll also need to invest in some modifications to an oil boiler to make it able to burn a biofuel (for some boilers, especially newer ones, this may not be possible anyway).

Given the cost of biodiesel, investing in a modern boiler able to (or even specifically designed to) burn this fuel will still leave high running costs, possibly up to twice as much as an efficient modern wood-fired boiler or a well-designed heat pump system.
    https://www.cat.org.uk/info-resources/free-information-service/energy/wood-fired-heating/

• Subscribers Posts: 40,977 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    appreciate you taking the time to get back to me but the question I was asking was in relation to bio fuel boilers, not interested in a heat pump

You gave a reason not to go with a heat pump.... Which was not a valid one..... So why still discount it?

The spec you're considering would be more expensive to build initially, and the running costs would be more expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

systems based on biofuels or
    biomass, appliances must be designed to run
    on these fuels only, i.e. incapable of providing
    thermal energy from fossil fuels, to be
    accepted as renewable technology for the
    purposes of this Regulation. For example, a
    boiler which could operate on either oil or a
    biofuel mixture would not be considered to be
    a renewable technology.

a boiler running on bio oil can have its jets replaced to allow it to run on kerosene so cant see how it would comply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Jcanty85 wrote:
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of a certified bio fuel boiler? Basically I do not want a heat pump as herself wants rads,and I would like to avoid unnecessarily having 20 pv panels on the roof. Will be installing approx 40 solar tubes but that alone plus a boiler will not comply, an alternative of wood pellet boiler was suggested so I'm hoping that a bio fuel boiler would also be compliant?? Just an idea at the moment so any advice is greatly accepted

Out of curiosity why does your other half want rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Jcanty85 wrote: »

Hi Jcanty, just wondering if you found any more information on this? We are looking into BioLPG at the moment which is 100% renewable. However we are finding it difficult to confirm if this will meet Part L regs (without adding a heatpump/ PV).

Any advise appreciated.

Sarah

Advertisement