Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High teacher absenteeism rate in secondary schools!

Options
  • 29-04-2019 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi. Can anyone shed some light on why students have so many free classes in secondary school please ? In my children’s school and indeed others in the area, there are many free classes every week, it truly shocks me. Why and how is this tolerated ??! In no other profession that I know of is this acceptable. In one of my child’s subjects , the teacher is absent EVERY week for at least one of the classes. I’ve approached the school but no explanation given. I know there is a shortage of teachers in the country but that does not account for absent teachers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi. Can anyone shed some light on why students have so many free classes in secondary school please ? In my children’s school and indeed others in the area, there are many free classes every week, it truly shocks me. Why and how is this tolerated ??! In no other profession that I know of is this acceptable. In one of my child’s subjects , the teacher is absent EVERY week for at least one of the classes. I’ve approached the school but no explanation given. I know there is a shortage of teachers in the country but that does not account for absent teachers.

Stressed and/or sick maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OriginalChunk

Teachers are required as part of the job to do extra curricular as well, so some may have sports teams that they need to take to matches, or for arts events. Indeed tho, some may be sick or stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe they should bring a substitute teacher in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

branie2 wrote: »
    Maybe they should bring a substitute teacher in

If they could find one.
    The 'absences' could be JCT related if they are happening in the other schools too.

Advertisement