Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Episode IX starts filming this summer!

• 13-02-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭

Time for a new thread....

The movie is set to start filming this summer, 2018, and released for Xmas 2019.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/12/star-wars-episode-ix-filming-this-summer/

"Well, it’s certainly something that I’m aware of now working on Episode IX – coming back into this world after having done Episode VII," the director told BBC when asked about the impact these films have on so many people. "I feel like we need to approach this with the same excitement that we had when we were kids, loving what these movies were. And at the same time, we have to take them places that they haven’t gone, and that’s sort of our responsibility."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/906173/Star-Wars-9-Luke-Episode-IX-Force-Ghost-Rian-Johnson-JJ-Abrams

STAR WARS 9 fans can expect to see the return of Luke Skywalker after his death opened up "exciting possibilities for his role" in the final movie.

The ending of The Last Jedi was a total shock to fans everywhere. After two years of theories and spoilers, nobody saw that coming.

But can the final movie in the Skywalker saga really make sense without the last Skywalker?

Setting aside the still rather murky parentage of Rey, Carrie Fisher's untimely death has made Luke's presence even more necessary for Episode 9.

The latest comments from Rian Johnson are bound to kick start another feverish 24 months of anticipation for Luke's "exciting" last stand. Will he really come back as a Force Ghost?

By now everybody knows that Luke peacefuly crossed over into the Force at the end of The Last Jedi but the movie had already established that this is not the end of the line.

Episode 8 hammered home the idea of Force ghosts with Yoda's perky and powerful cameo. The emphasis really is on the word "powerful" since the ancient Jedi master demonstrated just how much a dead Jedi can affect the living world in spectacular fashion.

Previous Force ghosts have hovered prettily like in The Return of the Jedi, or delivered words of wisdom like in the Clone Wars animated series.

Yoda called fire down from the sky.

Fans are still desperate to see a proper demonstration of the oft-repeated declarations that Luke is the most powerful Jedi.

Rian Johnson just gave hope that we will finally see this in dramatic action.

The director told Variety: "It seemed like the potential of Luke crossing into new realm — that offers exciting possibilities for the role he plays in the coming chapter. No one’s ever really gone."

This sounds like a definitive confirmation that Luke really will be back in style.

Of course, this being Star Wars, Johnson also fudged his declaration, leaving room for another 24 months of speculation and theories.

He added: "I don’t know where the next movie is going to go. JJ (Abrams) and Chris Terrio are writing it right now."

Asked if he was confirming Luke would really return, he said: "I’m not writing the script, so I don’t know. But as a fan, I would hope so."

Surely Episode 9 without Luke is unthinkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Some info about Trevorrow's departure from Episode IX, that happened last year....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/colin-trevorrow-as-director-star-wars-episode-ix-1035463

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Don't care anymore cause they ruined it . . . . they ruined it all with the rubbish that was 8.
    I hope it's a f*ckin' musical . . . . f*ckin' jazz with the 15 min drum solos at the Cantina.
    Should just bring back Snoke to be the compère & all cause sense is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Don't care anymore cause they ruined it . . . . they ruined it all with the rubbish that was 8.
    I hope it's a f*ckin' musical . . . . f*ckin' jazz with the 15 min drum solos at the Cantina.
    Should just bring back Snoke to be the compère & all cause sense is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I don't have much interest in this after the sh!tshow that was the last jedi.

They won't have my money unless feedback is very good, I won't be pre-booking tickets like I did for TFA, Rogue one and TLJ.

I'll await feedback then I might give them my €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I am intrigued as to which will be worse, this one or the Han Solo film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I don't have much interest in this after the sh!tshow that was the last jedi.

They won't have my money unless feedback is very good, I won't be pre-booking tickets like I did for TFA, Rogue one and TLJ.

I'll await feedback then I might give them my €10.

Get a grip, you're definitely going to go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Even though I disliked a lot of things about TLJ, there's no way in hell I'm not going to go see IX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've tweaked the title and moved this to the Star Wars forum. Sorry, folks, but there's just too many SW threads in Films all discussing the same thing. Meanwhile there's a whole forum dedicated to SW going mostly unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm disappointed it's going to be JJ Abrams at the helm because I don't rate him as anything useful, and I'd be surprised if the film shows any ambition or creativity as a result but I'll certainly still go along, albeit, with rock bottom expectations.

That might actually be no harm, because I was so wound up with hype for TFA that I barely registered it the first time I saw it, and then subsequently felt fairly meh about it after seeing it again.

I think the trilogy has been a bit half-cocked in general and I can't really see the story being wound up in a way that satisfies, even though I liked the nuts and bolts of TLJ.

I don't know what way they're going to go, but the universe as it is at the end of the TLJ is fairly loosey goosey. I suspect they're going to be trying to fill in the gaps with other media - books and the like. That's not really good enough IMO.

As with the animated Clone Wars series, which I think is mostly quite good, particularly after season 2, I don't think it's going to salvage the work that it's trying to underpin.

I don't think JJ had the time to spin the wheels in episode 7.
    They kinda did the small scale story in 8 but they didn't do any of the scene setting we should've seen in the previous episode.
    Now we're into 9 and I kinda feel like there's no overarcing story for the galaxy in which to set the conflict.

There was a tremendous sense of scale to the final attack on the Death Star in ROTJ that built from the ups and downs of the previous two films and drew on the world-building.

I don't know where that's going to come from and I fear that the story is going to feel flat and small. I don't know how they'll go about remedying that.
    Badly, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Well the script is finished. That’s good news. I’m glad JJ is back. He definitely seems to have heard people’s criticisms of TFA so I’d expect him to go all out to wrap this up. He has a totally blank slate and can do anything so he’s not beholden to anything and also can’t remake return of the Jedi.
    Curious to see how he closes this all up.

JJ says Ep 9 could be filming in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/morningireland/status/969562282421350401

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Long Straddle

I'd like to see them explore the force realm, where all the dead jedi are. That could be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

JJ is the most overrated director in history. He is completely useless

Overrated by who? He’s competent at best and in many ways still cutting his teeth in the directors chair but has progressed somewhat.
    I haven’t seen anyone anywhere ever rave about him to a degree that I’d respond overrated.
    I’d say he’s rated just about right. His mystery box thing is something he needs to move away from in the big screen at least but does lend itself well to writing for tv seasons format.

If you meant to say he’s a sh!te pick to direct episode 9 well yeah there’s a case to be made there but a good argument to be made he’s the perfect pick.

By his employers, by anybody who likes his movies. Progressed? How do you guage that? His last movie was TFA which was his most regressive movie to date. He is useless & a waste of skin imo. Stay away from our beloved franchises Jar Jar Abrams

He’s moved away from endless lensflare. That’s progress ;)

I liked super 8. Really liked his two Star Trek films.
    I know nothing about the clover field series but they’re fairly well regarded in their progression of quality in storytelling. Although divisive too.

He’s a pretty good ideas man. Shackle him to a great writer (Chris Terrio in this instance?(I know nothing about that guys C.V. but he’s well respected)) and we might see great things. Maybe. Hopefully.

Don’t worry. Filming doesn’t start til July. So you’ve at leat 18 months in which he might get fired by Kathleen Kennedy. :)

Im actually surprised Kennedy didnt put a chick at the helm. Shes another one that needs to go

Kennedy is behind a long long list of some of the greatest and most successful films of all time. She’s creator focused rather than studio focused and knows happy writers and producers means happy box office returns.
    She hasn’t put a foot wrong with Star Wars yet at all but If Solo is crap then that question will arise.

Right now it looks like she made the right call in the best interests of the film. Let’s see.

david75 wrote: »
    She hasn’t put a foot wrong with Star Wars yet at all but If Solo is crap then that question will arise.

The story of this new trilogy is one example (however much the blame for that can be laid at her door).

There's a lack of clarity about what they're trying to do.

The components, like the stories of Rey and Kylo Ren, and how they interact, are great, but the overarcing plot has lacked depth and direction.

Star Wars is a galactic scale story but they've failed to portray that.

Maybe they can sort it out in IX, but you should have the bulk of your worldbuilding done and dusted by the time you get to the climactic act of a 3 act story, and you should understand what the stakes are.

I don't know or care what the First Order are. I don't know what's at stake other than "the galaxy" in a very vague non-specific way. I don't understand what the Resistance are, why there are 200 people left fighting in a galaxy of trillions.

You can just drop into a new universe, and every design, music theme and stray comment build a pretty clear picture of what's going on.
    You nearly get the full picture 30 seconds into ANH, with the industrial design and smaller size of the Tantive IV and the giant, polished, colourless juggernaut chasing after it.
    Once you've established those ideas about the story, when you dip into it again, you have to go to more effort to paint a different picture.

Giant Star Destroyers are no longer about a demonstration of the government and most powerful system in the galaxy. Instead they're self-referential, tied up in nostalgia and they're sending us the opposite messages about the reality of the First Order. They're not the "law". They're the usurpers.

If for example, the First Order had first turned up, not in Star Destroyers, but small sleek ships full of assassins or something, that paints a very different picture - a more accurate picture of their position in the galaxy - as a minor power, but no less evil, and trying to upset the proper order.

That tells it's own story by drawing on known tropes and communicates without having to have people come out and say something.

That doesn't mean that the First Order can't use Star Destroyers, or generally be powerful, but if you make them that way, you have to explain matters in more detail, because when we left matters, 30 years ago, the Empire had just been decapitated.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I see JJ "Style Over Substance" Abrams all over it.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    The story of this new trilogy is one example (however much the blame for that can be laid at her door).

There's a lack of clarity about what they're trying to do.

The components, like the stories of Rey and Kylo Ren, and how they interact, are great, but the overarcing plot has lacked depth and direction.

Star Wars is a galactic scale story but they've failed to portray that.

Maybe they can sort it out in IX, but you should have the bulk of your worldbuilding done and dusted by the time you get to the climactic act of a 3 act story, and you should understand what the stakes are.

I don't know or care what the First Order are. I don't know what's at stake other than "the galaxy" in a very vague non-specific way. I don't understand what the Resistance are, why there are 200 people left fighting in a galaxy of trillions.

You can just drop into a new universe, and every design, music theme and stray comment build a pretty clear picture of what's going on.
    You nearly get the full picture 30 seconds into ANH, with the industrial design and smaller size of the Tantive IV and the giant, polished, colourless juggernaut chasing after it.
    Once you've established those ideas about the story, when you dip into it again, you have to go to more effort to paint a different picture.

Giant Star Destroyers are no longer about a demonstration of the government and most powerful system in the galaxy. Instead they're self-referential, tied up in nostalgia and they're sending us the opposite messages about the reality of the First Order. They're not the "law". They're the usurpers.

If for example, the First Order had first turned up, not in Star Destroyers, but small sleek ships full of assassins or something, that paints a very different picture - a more accurate picture of their position in the galaxy - as a minor power, but no less evil, and trying to upset the proper order.

That tells it's own story by drawing on known tropes and communicates without having to have people come out and say something.

That doesn't mean that the First Order can't use Star Destroyers, or generally be powerful, but if you make them that way, you have to explain matters in more detail, because when we left matters, 30 years ago, the Empire had just been decapitated.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I see JJ "Style Over Substance" Abrams all over it.

I WOuldnt say there’s a lack of Clarity just yet. TFA rolls really nicely into TLJ if you watch them back to back. For me anyways.. They didn’t have to do any world building exactly, it’s the story continuing from the same galaxy we’ve already established in the OT. TFA did a great job of that same design and feel I thought.
    I do think it was weirdly tightly focused in TLJ even when it breaks out into what, 3 different storylines? One idea I read about this was that this is the very last remnants of the resistance and the FO are determined to wipe them out so you can’t go jumping around the galaxy. That’s fair I guess. It would be a repeat beat if they’d escaped early in the film as they do in ESB. So that’s probably the reason? Trouble is we don’t really care so much about the other two storylines, I’d rather the whole film was just Rey and Luke on the island but here we are.

Finished the TLJ audiobook yesterday and it’s a much more satisfying experience as all the scenes between those two are extended and there’s a prologue that explains Luke’s headspace in a really really cool way. Worth picking up for that alone.

I WOuldnt say there’s a lack of Clarity just yet. TFA rolls really nicely into TLJ if you watch them back to back. For me anyways.. They didn’t have to do any world building exactly, it’s the story continuing from the same galaxy we’ve already established in the OT. TFA did a great job of that same design and feel I thought.

It isn't the same galaxy though.

At the end of RotJ, there was a massive upheaval in the galactic order and we don't know what shape that took. Further to that, it was 30 years ago.

TFA was incredibly lazy in how it set up the First Order.
    The opening crawl just says they rose from the ashes of the Empire. What does that mean?

It was also hugely lazy in how it set up and then dispensed with the Republic, which apparently just existed in one system because we could see it happening in real time, with all the planets blowing up.
    I get the JJ does this as a stylistic choice, but he needs to stop this weird space-compression thing he does. It's bollocks and it destroys immersion and the sense of scale of space, just so he can get a pretty shot.

We're left with no idea of the scale of anything and we don't care that the Republic is destroyed, because there's almost no connection to it.

Lucas, for all his faults, was good at putting a story together.
    The bulletpoint version of how the Jedi fall and Palpatine takes over is quite clever. He just couldn't execute the ideas because he can't direct or write dialogue and he has no taste.
    That vision is lacking in the Sequels.

We're going to end up with the opposite of the Prequels, when all is said and done, I think. Well executed and polished, but with no brain or sense of scope.

It would actually be fine if it wasn't Star Wars. That the First Order are big bad guys from far away is explanation enough if they're in their own IP. The issue isn't that things are flat out wrong, but that they're breaking the promises and the rules of the universe.
    I do think it was weirdly tightly focused in TLJ even when it breaks out into what, 3 different storylines? One idea I read about this was that this is the very last remnants of the resistance and the FO are determined to wipe them out so you can’t go jumping around the galaxy. That’s fair I guess. It would be a repeat beat if they’d escaped early in the film as they do in ESB. So that’s probably the reason? Trouble is we don’t really care so much about the other two storylines, I’d rather the whole film was just Rey and Luke on the island but here we are.

ESB is a tight story. There's nothing wrong with that, per se.
    The issue is that it was building on the established galaxy, whereas TLJ is adrift in this trilogy because they haven't done the groundwork.
    Finished the TLJ audiobook yesterday and it’s a much more satisfying experience as all the scenes between those two are extended and there’s a prologue that explains Luke’s headspace in a really really cool way. Worth picking up for that alone.

It's either poor storytelling or incredibly cynical by Disney to have DLC worldbuilding so that you don't know what's going on unless you read a load of books and comics as well as seeing the film.

All that set up and exposition particularly TFO should have happened in TFA and easily could have. TFA is almost breezy it’s only really switches between two storylines Rey and Kylo. So I think that criticism should be left at JJ not Johnson.
    Yet somehow TLJ to me feels overpacked with too much and the second act is usually only to expand on set up in the first and that does and doesn’t really happen esp regards TFO.
    With regards all the extra materials they’re not required reading so in a way you’re not missing out if you don’t read it but if you do it does expand the world and characters.
    That scene that was cut from TFA of Leia sending an envoy to the new republic to let them know the first order was coming and they’d need to alert and mobilise the Republics fleet should have really been left in. It would have gone a long way to setting up and helping establish the landscape.
    But again, they didn’t (in the name of pacing and not wanting to go near politics as it echoed the prequels I believe?)

Also and I’m totally spitballing here but I’m guessing at least one of these new tv series they’re doing is going to be doing some of the stuff you’re lookibg for with regards filling out Resistance /first order set up so let’s see.

All that set up and exposition particularly TFO should have happened in TFA and easily could have. TFA is almost breezy it’s only really switches between two storylines Rey and Kylo. So I think that criticism should be left at JJ not Johnson.

I would agree inasmuch as JJ takes the blame for the story of TFA.
    Lawrence Kasdan is revered for his work in the OT but surely he has to cop some flak as well.
    Yet somehow TLJ to me feels overpacked with too much and the second act is usually only to expand on set up in the first and that does and doesn’t really happen esp regards TFO.

It might've been worth extending the opening, possibly building up to the attack on the Dreadnought a bit more (or whatever the big planetary assault ship is called) and then shortening the chase sequence, and giving Rose and Finn something to do alongside other characters rather than splitting everyone up for the sake of the pointless casino plot.

The opening scene asked you to first feel success, with the big ship getting blown up, and then failure, in the loss of the whole squadron, in rapid succession, and was rapidly followed by the FO catching up again. You didn't have time to process anything and whatever quality there was in the scene itself, it didn't have a lasting impact and was lost in what happened right after.
    A slower buildup and/or a slower cool down afterwards might've given it the room to breathe it needed.
    With regards all the extra materials they’re not required reading so in a way you’re not missing out if you don’t read it but if you do it does expand the world and characters.

That scene that was cut from TFA of Leia sending an envoy to the new republic to let them know the first order was coming and they’d need to alert and mobilise the Republics fleet should have really been left in. It would have gone a long way to setting up and helping establish the landscape.

I think you are missing out because the film takes it as read that you know what the FO and the Republic are in more than name.

If it's not in the theatrical cut, then as far as I'm concerned, they haven't done their jobs properly.
    But again, they didn’t (in the name of pacing and not wanting to go near politics as it echoed the prequels I believe?)

After an explosive start ANH is quite slow-paced until they get to the Death Star.
    They take a bit of time to build tension in ESB until the Empire invades.
    Until the fight with the Rancor, again, they take their time with ROTJ.

The prequels get flak for trying to put trade negotiations and political back-biting into a kids films. I think kids gloss over that stuff fine. The problem is with everything else that sucks, like the Gungans, a child-Anakin, bad dialogue, acting, etc. If they had done those properly, I don't think anyone would mention the political backdrop.
    In the end, it worked to set the scene and give motivations to the bad guys. Adults follow the details, but kids get who's the bad guy, because he's wearing a cowl and stuff and that's enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Star Wars is over baby.

Speaking of other media, Disney have announced that Jon Favreau is jumping on the band wagon! :D

He's doing a live-action TV show apparently.
    Executive producing and writing.

Maybe he'd direct a bit as well.

http://www.starwars.com/news/jon-favreau-to-executive-produce-write-live-action-star-wars-series

I do love me some Jon Favreau.
    For such a musically rich series, he's a great fit. I actually quite liked his take on the Jungle Book's music and he's always top class for a soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Star Wars is over baby.

As long as people keep turning up at cinemas, even if only out of sheer morbid curiosity, then Mickey Mouse Inc. will keep knocking them out.

Have Disney made a good return on their investment? I read somewhere that the merch and toy sales have not met expectations.

As long as people keep turning up at cinemas, even if only out of sheer morbid curiosity, then Mickey Mouse Inc. will keep knocking them out.

Have Disney made a good return on their investment? I read somewhere that the merch and toy sales have not met expectations.

They paid $4 billion in 2013 for it.

They’ve made $9 billion in total so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wow. Disney will be riding Star Wars for a while yet.

Advertisement