Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaver light help

Options
  • 05-10-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a shaver light where the cover acts as a diffuser. While changing the bulb I pressed two little white buttons one in the bottom left and the other in the top right hand side they pressed with a click now they have no resistance and the light doesn't work any suggestions on how to fix it.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

dodliv wrote: »
    I have a shaver light where the cover acts as a diffuser. While changing the bulb I pressed two little white buttons one in the bottom left and the other in the top right hand side they pressed with a click now they have no resistance and the light doesn't work any suggestions on how to fix it.
    Thanks in advance
    Is it one of those long ones where the diffuser has small tabs & these fit against
    recessed switches in the unit base?

If so, these are a pain, they are always coming apart & popping out if their
    holders. They are a simple leaf switch, used to isolate the supply when changing bulbs so the user does not get a shock.

Usually both switches are wired in series, a faulty one kills the light.
    You'll probably have to take the unit off the wall to fix it.
    These are very fragile, don't be surprised if the holder is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

I have the exact same issue with my bathroom shaver light. Can these small white buttons easily be repaired? or is it easier just to replace the whole unit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The plastic can just deteriorate with heat and sometimes light.

Not sure about repairing one, I wouldn't bother I'd replace the while thing.

However if its supplied with your house/apartment it might be a standard type, off the shelf with a like for like for like replacement available

Linolite, or eternal or ansell etc about 20 euro, buy it complete with a lamp , call a wholesale supplier first

A like for like swap out would be something a competent DIY person can handle, power off first etc, this is very important, don't just use the switch as you've no light to check of it's off. Use the MCB, most likely the one that powers the centre light in the same bathroom

But still double check it appropriately

Stoner wrote: »
    The plastic can just deteriorate with heat and sometimes light.

Not sure about repairing one, I wouldn't bother I'd replace the while thing.

However if its supplied with your house/apartment it might be a standard type, off the shelf with a like for like for like replacement available

Linolite, or eternal or ansell etc about 20 euro, buy it complete with a lamp , call a wholesale supplier first

A like for like swap out would be something a competent DIY person can handle, power off first etc, this is very important, don't just use the switch as you've no light to check of it's off. Use the MCB, most likely the one that powers the centre light in the same bathroom

But still double check it appropriately

Thanks. It’s about 15 years old so a like for like will be hard to find. Sounds like they are fairly cheap anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jackboy wrote:
    Thanks. It’s about 15 years old so a like for like will be hard to find. Sounds like they are fairly cheap anyway.

You'd be surprised

At that age possibly a linolite

Even looking at amazon, there's ones with chrome ends with the shaver light for 20 pounds, you'd get a nice one.

I'd at least measure very carefully and make sure your new one completely covers the old makings left behind by the old one, I'm sure you'd do that anyway, but they all come with a pdf with dimensions on them now anyway.

Good luck with it

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    You'd be surprised

At that age possibly a linolite

Even looking at amazon, there's ones with chrome ends with the shaver light for 20 pounds, you'd get a nice one.

I'd at least measure very carefully and make sure your new one completely covers the old makings left behind by the old one, I'm sure you'd do that anyway, but they all come with a pdf with dimensions on them now anyway.

Good luck with it

Yep, I’ll do that to make life as easy as possible.

Thanks.

Advertisement