Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish deer society puts its foot in it!

• 02-12-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭

Todays Irish Times..

With friends like these ,who needs enemies?Fair enough poaching is going on,but how all are being tarred with the same brush is just not on!
    Big poaching threat to Leinster deer

SEÁN MacCONNELL, Agriculture Correspondent

A COMBINATION of cold weather and poaching could wipe out the deer population in Leinster.
    Liam McGarry, president of the Irish Deer Society and secretary of the Leinster Deer Society, said yesterday that horrendous damage had been inflicted on the deer population by poachers during January’s cold weather.
    Issuing an appeal to deer hunters in Leinster to stop hunting until the weather improved, Mr McGarry said poaching had gone out of control, especially in Wicklow.
    “There has been a dramatic increase in poaching since the recession kicked in and last year, there was wholesale slaughter of deer during the bad weather.
    “Animals which are in herds at this time of year came down from the high ground for food and shelter and were slaughtered by poachers.”
    He said the poachers, who normally have licences, had been driving around in vans at night using lights to identify the deer and kill them, often with silencers fitted to their high-powered rifles.
    “Someone is going to get killed because these operators shoot without knowing what is behind their quarry. We have already had reports of cattle and horses been shot and at least one report of a dwelling house hit by gunfire,” Mr McGarry added.
    “It is only a matter of time before someone is killed or seriously injured because of the amount of poaching involved and the way these people operate.”
    Mr McGarry said the Wildlife Service and the Garda had been putting in a special effort in recent weeks to combat poaching and a number of prosecutions were expected.
    “However, it is virtually impossible to get a conviction unless the poachers are caught in the act. They have licences which allow them take a certain amount of deer and they use these as cover.”
    He said there was a strong demand for venison, which was selling at €1.80 a kilo, and this was considerable money for a 40/50kg deer. Poaching was taking place all over the country but was particularly bad in Co Wicklow, which was difficult to police and where there was ready demand.
    He was particularly concerned about the use of silencers on high-velocity rifles which were allowed here and in Britain.
    “This aids the poacher and there is no other reason for them except for professional full-time personnel who would have to have a silencer for health and safety reasons.
    “My main message is to ask genuine hunters to stop taking animals until the weather improves because we know what is happening and what happened with poaching last year.”

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No reason for them? He's more than welcome to shoot my short-barrelled .25-06 for a day and come back to me then. Of course, I'll have to write down all my questions, which won't help if he can't read them for the throbbing in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Jeez, the standard of journalism in the Times has dropped!
    That's one of the most cack-handed and cobbled-together "reports" i've read in a long while - As far as I can tell, there are at least four separate topics "covered":

1. Hunting in Cold Weather
    2. Poaching in General
    3. Poaching at Night in particular
    4. And some nonsense about silencers

Issue 1 has nothing to do with issues 2, 3, 4.

I'm sure there are members of the IDS and the LDS on here occasionally - Maybe you may like to have a quiet word with Mr. McGarry and ask him to clarify WTF he is talking about?

(Or maybe he was misquoted?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

"He was particularly concerned about the use of silencers on high-velocity rifles which were allowed here and in Britain.
    "This aids the poacher and there is no other reason for them except for professional full-time personnel who would have to have a silencer for health and safety reasons.""

Who wants to have a side bet with me that some Super/s won't be using this as a reason for moderator refusal soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

"He was particularly concerned about the use of silencers on high-velocity rifles which were allowed here and in Britain.
    “This aids the poacher and there is no other reason for them except for professional full-time personnel who would have to have a silencer for health and safety reasons."

Who wants to have a side bet with me that some Super/s won't be using this as a reason for moderator refusal soon :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be remotely surprised. Bloody stupid thing to say. Every single shot causes irreparable damage. Over a long period of time, shooting without a mod will cause you to go deaf, professional or otherwise. Now, I don't like how they ruin the handling of a good gun, and were my rifle less ear-splittingly loud, I probably wouldn't use a moddy, but that's my decision and it'll be to the detriment of my hearing, long term, and I know that. However, not everyone wants the handling capabilities of the rifle so much they'll sacrifice their hearing to get it, and I freely admit that to do so is a stupid vanity, but there you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

from the i.d.s website i just text him my polite thoughts

Liam McGarry, Hon Secretary, Leinster Branch I.D.S.
    24 Quinns Road, Shankill, Co. Dublin.
    PHONE: 087 2643492
    e-mail: lmcgarry@nba.ie

• Advertisement

On another note, the article keeps referring to "high powered rifles" and "high velocity rifles" - presumably these are all Deer Legal calibres?

Or does he expect hunters to use "low-to-medium powered rifles" or "low-to-medium velocity rifles" (I don't know, maybe .22, .223, etc?) to hunt deer? Surely not!? Maybe Mr. McGarry would like to clarify which of the Deer Legal Calibres should not be used because he deems them to be of too high a "power" or "velocity" and what that velocity (I can only presume he means velocity of the muzzle kind) should be? 2800, 2900, 3100, 3400fps, which is it to be, Mr. McGarry?

Sometimes, when it comes to journalists: the least said, the sooner mended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm going to email him and ask if he'd like a scanned copy of the hearing report outlining the damage done to my hearing from firing .223 and 12ga.

No need my.......

"Dear Mr. McGarry,

While I have no doubt that your concern for the deer population, especially that of Co. Wicklow is genuine, I was particularly shocked at your reference to moderators on stalking rifles (and presumably other calibre rifles also?), taken from the article:

"This aids the poacher and there is no other reason for them except for professional full-time personnel who would have to have a silencer for health and safety reasons."

I believe I first obtained my firearms license for a .223 in 2006. During that period I have lost 50% hearing clarity in one ear and 20% hearing clarity in the other. I am 32 years old, a sheep farmer. I own my centrefire rifle to cull foxes, for myself, for my immediate neighbours and those in the locality who have such problems.

What this means for me is I have great difficulty in hearing some letters in the alphabet, particular difficulty in conversing with people in situations with any level of background noise, T.V. on, other conversations going on around me, in pubs, outside in a breeze and so forth. I also have tinnitus.

Quite a number of people, especially since the new gun laws came into force, have had considerable difficulty in obtaining permission for moderators. These, in my view, should be allowable once a firearms cert is granted, and not confined to, as you put it "professional full-time personnel".

Ear defenders are suitable in some situations. But, as a hunter, you should know that safety is the absolute priority of any shooter. Impairing ones hearing in a hunting situation, be that deer stalking or lamping foxes is, again in my view, an unacceptable risk. Even electronic ear defenders present problems mounting the gun etc. and a lot of shooters simply won't use them. I was almost shot on my own farm by rough shooters who had electronic ear plugs in yet didn't hear my shouts approaching (they had no permission to be there).

Sir, your contribution to that article in relation to moderators was at best unhelpful for the Irish rifle owner. If I, or anyone else has misunderstood or misrepresented you in this regard I would appreciate that you take the time to set me straight on the matter.

Yours in sport,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I would not buy a paper that prints such rubbish.

Who are these self appointed spoke persons for deer stalkers?
    I never voted him in:mad:
    Or was asked for a vote!

And while you're at it, JohnG, ask him if he's ever bothered to read this: European Directive 2003/10/EC

And ask him if he is happy to indemnify members of the public and recreational sportsmen from potential hearing loss and or damage because he doesn't wish huntsmen to adhere to the acceptable standards of personal hearing protection laid down in the above EU Directive?

Or does he think that members of the public and responsible recreational hunter do not require the same standards of protection as that afforded to "workers"?

And could he clarify who he refers to by "professional full-time personnel"? And perhaps he would be good enough to confirm the IDS / LDS policy that such professional full-time personnel are due a higher standard of protection than the common hunter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    And while you're at it, JohnG, ask him if he's ever bothered to read this: European Directive 2003/10/EC

And ask him if he is happy to indemnify members of the public and recreational sportsmen from potential hearing loss and or damage because he doesn't wish huntsmen to adhere to the acceptable standards of personal hearing protection laid down in the above EU Directive?

Or does he think that members of the public and responsible recreational hunter do not require the same standards of protection as that afforded to "workers"?

And could he clarify who he refers to by "professional full-time personnel"? And perhaps he would be good enough to confirm the IDS / LDS policy that such professional full-time personnel are due a higher standard of protection than the common hunter?

I would have to say, that as a stalker a moderator is extremely necessary.
    For my own hearing protection, and for Noise pollution reduction.

I would have imagined that Moderators would become compulsory on rifles rather than the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

It would be a real 'charity' to releive pressure on deer populations all around the country at the moment. And we all know the saying, charity begins at home. So just a suggestion............. maybe look at your own house IDS (All Branches)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

I'm surprised you are all only commenting on the moderator issue.

He's accusing licensed hunters of being Poachers!
    However, it is virtually impossible to get a conviction unless the poachers are caught in the act. They have licences which allow them take a certain amount of deer and they use these as cover

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭DR6.5

Octopus the majority of poachers are licenced, they have a hunters licence issued to them from the NPWS which in turn allows them to sell the deer to the gamedealers.

The other problem is that a lot of lads have lamping licences which they are abusing, they are not just lamping on the ground they have permission to lamp.

The NPWS have a record of what is being handed into the gamedealers, there are a lot of lads handing in big numbers of animals and dont have the ground to support the number of animals being shot.

dr6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

licenced poachers :D now thats a gd one....with no solid proof he shud never have made that statement :mad: maybe the ones pulled over at night caught lamping with a deer in the back at 2am in the morning using there licence as an excuse that they shot him during the day shud be put on a suspicious list and licence be reviwed next time round..geeeezzzz all talk and blame but no action:confused:i no theres lots of loop holes here but some examples need too be made or we will have lamping an all taken from us..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I always found the IDS a rather odd bunch when it came to many of their media forays:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

lamper35 wrote: »
    licenced poachers :D now thats a gd one....with no solid proof he shud never have made that statement :mad: maybe the ones pulled over at night caught lamping with a deer in the back at 2am in the morning using there licence as an excuse that they shot him during the day shud be put on a suspicious list and licence be reviwed next time round..geeeezzzz all talk and blame but no action:confused:i no theres lots of loop holes here but some examples need too be made or we will have lamping an all taken from us..

if your caught with a deer in the back at night (few hours after dark) with a lamp in the jeep/car surely they can use this as proof enough to count it as poaching. any one i know who shoot deer dont fancy leaving them in the van for half the night. and surely thats not a valid excuse to get away with it is it?
    some of them go out for as deer and when it gets dark go lamping foxes but if they shot a deer they return home with it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Todays Irish Times..

They have licences which allow them take a certain amount of deer and they use these as cover.”

Does anyone have a certain number of deer that they are allowed shoot on there deer licence :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

garv123 wrote: »
    if your caught with a deer in the back at night (few hours after dark) with a lamp in the jeep/car surely they can use this as proof enough to count it as poaching. any one i know who shoot deer dont fancy leaving them in the van for half the night. and surely thats not a valid excuse to get away with it is it?
    some of them go out for as deer and when it gets dark go lamping foxes but if they shot a deer they return home with it first.

Thats the point of my arguement some people can still say that they shot it during the day:D its just ireland :mad: there afraid too accuse people incase they get sooed for defamation..the only way they can proove it at the moment is if they catch u red handed pulling the trigger and i presume that involves following u around which wont happen as u will spot a car or jeep a mile off at night :confused:and the other involves setting up cctv in the areas where they say are most affected and that aint going too happen either:confused:...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Sika98k

tfox wrote: »
    Does anyone have a certain number of deer that they are allowed shoot on there deer licence :confused:

No,but a Section 42 is for a maximum number of deer to be shot in a specific area.the sex and species may be stipulated on the licence.
    It also may or may not allow the use of a lamp for night time shooting.

The nominated stalker is the ONLY person allowed to carry out the actual shooting.

There is no maximum limit of deer that may be shot by a stalker unless there may be a maximum set on the area he is shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Liam McGarry, president of the Irish Deer Society,he should stand down after making a statement like that,he's not much of a P.R. man.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No reply as yet, but I can imagine my email wasn't the only one received.

The reason I only commented on moderators is because I thought that to be the most salient point.

I have some sympathy with the point of view SOME people with deer permits are up to things they shouldn't be - either out of greed or financial necessity. To qualify that view it's based on reading comments on here from a fair number of people scattered across the country. I also believe there are people poaching deer who do not have deer permits, or deer legal calibres.

To outlaw the carrying of a lamp in a vehicle while there'd be a deer in it may not make practical sense either. I know if I ever went for a deer permit it would be most likely I would do my level best to base my license application for the new calibre to be for fox & deer. So if granted I could well, legally and genuinely, be out with a lamp and a deer legal calibre, but with a view to shooting foxes and not lamping deer.

To be honest, I don't have a solution to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I know some really good lads in the IDS and even their disgusted.

no reply to my text either :rolleyes: i'd imagine his phone is rather busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ah yes the IDS, the chairman of the connaught branch has a conviction for pollution caused by dumping deer carcass's and remains in a watercourse not half a mile from lough corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

thats the chap!! :Dthe same one who wrote to the npws and the local super and when that didnt work,the minister, to try to deny a rifle and hunting licence to a lad to cull deer on his own land because "they are my deer from screebe house and you can't shoot them" beggars belief that he's the chairman of a group that purports to represent deer stalkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I found with with my few dealings with the IDS that they are a very odd bunch. Was a member for 2 years and never heard anything from them, not even a membership card or number, just once a year a letter looking for more money :mad:

I know that the chairman of the Leinster branch is particularly difficult and uses his position to get lots of deer permissions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

No reason for them? He's more than welcome to shoot my short-barrelled .25-06 for a day and come back to me then. Of course, I'll have to write down all my questions, which won't help if he can't read them for the throbbing in his head.
    Ithink you should get him to stand slightly in front of the gun when you take a shot without the 'silencer' (moderator) on the gun a see how he likes the shock wave and bang. Teach that prat a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

yes,there has been a large number of deer taken out of leinster in the last couple of years, but numbers are still high enough that if the pressure is not kept on them, their population will be out of control again.i honestly feel that deer in leinster needed another 2 years of hard shooting to bring their numbers back down to an exceptable level.
    the problem with some deershooters that are not land owners is that they expect their woods to be nearly like a driven shoot, with deer prancing about all over the place.And if they go out for a morning stalk an see nothing, then they honestly believe that the wood is being poached left right and centre.
    Most of the stalkers that rent woods,drive a long way and dont get the chance up famarilise them self with their ground and know all the hot spots that will yield deer time after time.you have to get out of your jeeps and walk you bounderies and get to know every inch, nook and cranny of your woods.
    I know of one member of the leinster branch of one the deer societys that got thrown of ground, because all he took was potential trophy animals and left every thing else walk by.
    A couple of months ago i met two stalkers pulling a deer of my land back into the wood and had a polite conservation with them.i suppose they did not class them selves as poachers.
    and i wonder what it would of been like if the shoe was on the other foot.
    For me, moderaters are absolutaly brillant and had brought back the social side to deer stalking as now myself and my shooting buddy can now go out for an evening stalk on the same ground and are close enough to give one another a helping hand if needs be.Manys a time i have gone out to shoot a deer that was out grazing early in the evening and 3/4 of a hour later shot another in the same spot.
    you wont do this without a moderater as the first shot will have them all gone to the next parish.
    as for fox shooting they are an invaluable asset i keeping down their numbers.If the deer society is making noise and behind getting rid of sound moderaters i think it is absolutaly criminal.
    The last thing we want is our own so called fellow sports men stabbing us in the back.
    I too have nearly all the same problem as galway john has with his hearing and dont want it getting worse due to firing without a moderater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Lest anyone be in any doubt about poaching in Wicklow:
    This morning I went for a stalk in a coillte letting in Wicklow. I had a real job getitng the four by four as far as the entrance. Pal who lives beside the wood told me that last night was the first time any vehicles could get up that road. I put up my signs, and right beside the entrance and beside the road, I sawa lot of blood and drag marks (one poached deer), I stalked the wood, saw planey of deer but didnt get a safe shot. I decided to cut down on to the road and walk back to the jeep that way. Where I met the road another blood trail and drag marks down to the road (two poached deer). Walked back to the vehilce and half way back with national park on one side and coillte let on the other, a deer had been obvoiusly shot ont the road itself, lots of blood and no drag marks nearby, so shot on the road (third poached deer)
    It is a matter of time before someone is shot. NPWS need to start to look closely at the records of deer left into Game dealers. No one would begrudge people selling the odd few deer during the season, but this is getting ridiculous.
    If someone gets shot, you will see all forms of lamping beng made illegal.:mad:

Advertisement