Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A blow for tourism in Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Kettleson wrote: »

They're hardly going to put a sign up by the grave are they? It was always suspected that it wasn't Yeats' bones there, and yet it still draws the tour buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Yes indeed. But they can hardly say Yeats is buried in Sligo, or "to visit Yeats grave". They'd have to go to France for that. Perhaps Roquebrune cemetery might open a visitors centre now. Every cloud eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Surely this is a good news story.... for all the pathetic piss-ant begrudgers that have being moaning & complaining throughout the Sligo forum of late helping to make the place appear parochial and it's inhabitants small minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Surely this is a good news story.... for all the pathetic piss-ant begrudgers that have being moaning & complaining throughout the Sligo forum of late helping to make the place appear parochial and it's inhabitants small minded.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The sooner Sligo stops being lazy and using Yeats as a means for attracting tourism the better. Just today I was driving about and the laziest most pathetic attempts of attracting tourism is to simply put "Yeats" in front of whatever business name they had. "Yeats" filling station, "Yeats" internet cafe! OK Im exaggerating but it is plastered everywhere and smacks of a lack of imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

You know what they should do? Dig up the grave and start investigating!

That's a fine idea Vlove. Seriously..if there is a French man with a club foot currently interred at Drumcliffe, it would be good to find out exactly who he was. Twould make good TV.

He might well have an interesting past, and perhaps he even wrote better poetry than Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

That's a fine idea Vlove. Seriously..if there is a French man with a club foot currently interred at Drumcliffe, it would be good to find out exactly who he was. Twould make good TV.

He might well have an interesting past, and perhaps he even wrote better poetry than Yeats.

Aye but like they should not do only that persons grave but queen maeves cairn as well! Do we even know she was buried up there or someone? Y'see this county is pathetic for not finding these things out realistically! No wonder tourism is on the brink of going down here because they can't get the facts right!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

They're hardly going to put a sign up by the grave are they? It was always suspected that it wasn't Yeats' bones there, and yet it still draws the tour buses.

I don't think it will for much longer. What would be the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

People actually visit Sligo, it's true u do learn something new everyday ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Kalman wrote: »

A 'Visit the Grave we thought was Yeats' Tour. I'm sure the enterprising locals will come up with something.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    A 'Visit the Grave we thought was Yeats' Tour. I'm sure the enterprising locals will come up with something.

A delightful idea! Visit the grave of : "the man who never was":)

Uncle Ben wrote: »

This is getting to he nub of the matter. People generally don't give a flying fcu as to that which they are promoting, as long as it brings in the dollars and yen.

"Grave of the Unknown Frenchman" could work for now.

The whole Yeats thing has become a vulgar money making machine and this has made a monumental farce of the whole thing. Yeats no doubt would be turning in his grave, wherever that is.

I'll leave the last word to Mr Rotten. He was not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Tourism in Sligo isn't purely for a grave of bones. Its the countryside that inspired the Yeats family, including Jack B. Yeats. And thankfully, we have a strong adventure tourism draw here.

Tourism in Sligo isn't purely for a grave of bones. Its the countryside that inspired the Yeats family, including Jack B. Yeats. And thankfully, we have a strong adventure tourism draw here.

Yes of course! I dare say that the Sligo countryside is delightful.

However, there he was [Yeats ] supposedly, reposing in the good earth of Sligo , alas that is now not the case:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yes of course! I dare say that the Sligo countryside if delightful.

However, there he was [Yeats ] supposedly, reposing in the good earth of Sligo , alas that is now not the case:(

Well i dont think they can say that at least some part of him is not there with 100% accuracy.. who knows some bit of his remains may well have been brought over.. sounds like there was a lot of bones back in France and when they went to collect they took a guess on which ones to bring.. maybe they guessed right?

I suppose either way.. as others have pointed out there would still be strong yeats connections with Sligo.. and his father did preach in the little church where the grave is.. so worth a visit..

This is not factually correct, based on the report it is likely that not all his remains are present.
    There is no definite certainty at this point in time, unless further investigation was to take place.
    This is not new news to anyone with an interest in or knowledge of Yeats.

More bad luck.

"A bad day for Ben Bulben as Yeats performance abandoned".

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/a-bad-day-for-ben-bulben-as-yeats-performance-abandoned-1.2290069

People actually visit Sligo, it's true u do learn something new everyday ðŸ˜

Sligo is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland. With most of its treasures still hidden to the world. Sligo town is an "OK" town too. Not to everbodys liking, but it is to mine, very much so.

Anywhere you go you can see beauty, its whats in the persons head that allows one to see it or not. There is so much more to Sligo than Yeats. But from all the current promotion you would be led to believe that there is little else to Sligo apart from Yeats. That's the frustrating thing.

I'm sure WB himself would have something to say about it all. Time to let him rest for a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

More bad luck.

"A bad day for Ben Bulben as Yeats performance abandoned".

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/a-bad-day-for-ben-bulben-as-yeats-performance-abandoned-1.2290069

The less than wonderful side of Sligo, the weather!

Still, it'll be on in a few weeks they say.

• Advertisement

Sligo is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland. With most of its treasures still hidden to the world. Sligo town is an "OK" town too. Not to everbodys liking, but it is to mine, very much so.

Anywhere you go you can see beauty, its whats in the persons head that allows one to see it or not. There is so much more to Sligo than Yeats. But from all the current promotion you would be led to believe that there is little else to Sligo apart from Yeats. That's the frustrating thing.

I'm sure WB himself would have something to say about it all. Time to let him rest for a wee while.

As you say it's up to the person's ability to look beyond the obvious that allows them to see whats in front of 'em and you're right about there being so much more to Sligo than Yeats but I don't think that the Yeat's connection registers with as many people as some think.
    For those with only a passing interest, or less, in literature it's very much on the periphery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Yes of course! I dare say that the Sligo countryside is delightful.

So you've never been to Sligo?

red sean wrote: »
    So you've never been to Sligo?

You don't like the Sligo countryside Sean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

rizzodun wrote: »
    You don't like the Sligo countryside Sean?
    You've lost me rizzo. I was asking the question of a poster who, fairly obviously, came on this thread to stir a reaction from locals.
    I love my county, and as I pointed out earlier, I actually love a lot of Yeats's stuff!

The less than wonderful side of Sligo, the weather!

Ah but that weather is not exclusive to just us fortunately.

red sean wrote: »
    You've lost me rizzo. I was asking the question of a poster who, fairly obviously, came on this thread to stir a reaction from locals.
    I love my county, and as I pointed out earlier, I actually love a lot of Yeats's stuff!

Ah I was confused, I took the reply as if their minds would be changed if they visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

This is getting to he nub of the matter. People generally don't give a flying fcu as to that which they are promoting, as long as it brings in the dollars and yen.

"Grave of the Unknown Frenchman" could work for now.

The whole Yeats thing has become a vulgar money making machine and this has made a monumental farce of the whole thing. Yeats no doubt would be turning in his grave, wherever that is.

I'll leave the last word to Mr Rotten. He was not wrong.

There's already one of those in the region, a few miles outside Dromahair.
    An unknown French soldier who was part of General Humbert's army.
    There's a headstone and all.

Speaking of Humbert, anyone remember when all those signs went up pointing out Humbert's route throughout Sligo and Leitrim.

Signs everywhere but the whole thing, which I presume was meant to draw tourists, and the whole thing was never mentioned once they went up.

Must have been the guts of 15 years ago.

Some of the signs are still there.

The Humbert trail I think was in 1998 to commemorate the 1798 Rebellion. A ship from French Navy was over in County Mayo at the time. To commemorate the "Year of The French".

The Humbert trail I think was in 1998 to commemorate the 1798 Rebellion. A ship from French Navy was over in County Mayo at the time. To commemorate the "Year of The French".

Yeah, they said they'd bring a few ships and loads of tourists, then turned up with one ship and a small crew, keeping with their form! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, they said they'd bring a few ships and loads of tourists, then turned up with one ship and a small crew, keeping with their form! :pac:

sacrebleu! off with their heads!

Advertisement