Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google maps and OSI maps

• 29-11-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has something happened to both these websites recently?
    What I'm referring to is the contrast delineating roads. I'm finding it impossible to use either site recently. The roads seem invisible at various zoom levels.
    Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

What I'm referring to is the contrast delineating roads. I'm finding it impossible to use either site recently. The roads seem invisible at various zoom levels.
    Anyone?
    Do you mean mapping or aerial imagery? I am not seeing a problem with either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Google maps, 360 aerial sphere, and associated pictures working fine. Although dated. Ran one moments ago of our University Town Center and it was dated January 2017. Didn't show recent September-December 2017 construction. Satellite imagery working too, although dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Anyone?

Yes. At near max magnifcation the roads are impossible to differentiate from the background colour. Switching to satelite imagery helps but google should perhaps change the colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dogmatix wrote: »
    Yes. At near max magnifcation the roads are impossible to differentiate from the background colour. Switching to satelite imagery helps but google should perhaps change the colour scheme.
    No problem here, and nothing's changed recently as far as I can see. Can't see the problem myself.

Maybe look at the contrast settings on your monitor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the earlier 3D images on Bing - the former 'Bird's Eye' view?
    That imagery was immensely useful, but it seems to have been discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Over 450 Areas of Bird’s Eye Imagery Now Live on Bing Maps (Nov 21, 2017).

slowburner wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to access the earlier 3D images on Bing - the former 'Bird's Eye' view?
    That imagery was immensely useful, but it seems to have been discontinued.
    It's still there, but for some reason they've made it accessible only via a right-click sub menu rather than the on-screen layers menu.

Alun wrote: »
    It's still there, but for some reason they've made it accessible only via a right-click sub menu rather than the on-screen layers menu.
    Can you access 3d imagery for the Wicklow uplands, for example?
    I just get a notification that 'this imagery is outdated and no longer available for your area' (or words to that effect).

Just viewed the google maps "street view" of Wicklow, Ireland. Image capture May 2017.

Google definitely did something with the terrain view, but the default view looks ok. I’ve attached a screenshot of the terrain view, it’s hard to see alright.

• Advertisement

Wicklow, Ireland 3d digital globe view 2017.

I just get a notification that 'this imagery is outdated and no longer available for your area' (or words to that effect).
    In Google Maps I can, no problem. Bing Birdseye view seems to be limited to populated areas now.

Karsini wrote: »
    Google definitely did something with the terrain view, but the default view looks ok. I’ve attached a screenshot of the terrain view, it’s hard to see alright.
    That's on an iPhone, and I've checked on my wife's iPhone 6 and it's the same. Here's the same area on Android with the Terrain layer enabled, and it looks fine.

Wicklow uplands.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tip: if you are seeing poor contrast on screen, try tilting the screen to / away from you to shift the polarizing effect.

Advertisement