Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

LeoB wrote: »
    Archers caravan site is gone about 20years now. The days certainly seemed much warmer back then or did we just play more outside and keep warmer?

That area was know to older Rush people as the Hilly skillys, along from Archers site to to Rogerstown, basically it is the dunes
    ceadnus wrote: »
    So the good old days was an egg factory for Butterly eggs. I remember those eggs, don't know if they're still around. I was once told that Liam Butterly was going to have the exhibition at the empty Kenure House. I used to go to Rush for my holidays as my father had a caravan in Archer's field in Sandy Lane. The caravans are gone but the field is still there, thank God. We used to run down the little lane that led to the beech. The days were very sunny in the 70s. There was a group of blonde girls who used to all walk up together from their swim past our caravan.I think they were sisters and natives of Rush. I also stayed in the Hilly Skilly caravan site. I don't know if it was called that at the time. That was the year the GOOD opened. I once stayed in the old cottage in sandy lane. It was owned by a miss thorne who lived next door and it had a thatched roof at the time. It's still there but the thatch roof is gone. I sometimes drop in to rush with my own family and it feels the same. Don't like the big tesco near the gates of Kenure.

I remember hearing an eye expert talking about how we all as children/teens have memories of sunny bright summers. Its to do with are eyes which slowly dim over time as we get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ceadnus

That's very interesting. As a kid I actually met Irish men who had fought in the first world war. They told me the reason they joined the British army was not out of loyalty to any king. It was because it was a steady job and they needed the money and also they said they hoped it would lead to home rule in Ireland as promised. They felt bad about the people who were being shot here in Ireland at the same time. No doubt they were all brave men.

Are there any pictures of the Good Old Days exhibition around. I'd love to see them if there is. I have one at home taken at the front of the little cottage which acted as the entrance. I presume that cottage was just created for the exhibition. I'm not sure about that. Was there any reports in any papers when it opened and closed? Was there a big auction of the stuff and at what stage did it get knocked down. There seems to be only a wall left.

The humble early spud is often associated with Rush as is Rush Queens, even today its real name of British Queens isn't so popular in parts of the country. Most of the Market Gardeners would travel to Dublin twice a week from Rush first by horse and cart then in the 40s and 50s by truck. The Rush farmers would bypass Lusk in the morning by crossing Rogerstown estuary at the bottom of Channel Rd up through Ballealy to Blakescross. They would then draw back manure from the dairy and slaughter houses in Dublin sometimes containing animal parts and blood which was all used to fertilize the land.

rinceoil_cd_cover_final_for_website.jpg

Carts of cabbage arriving at the Dublin Fruit Market off Capel Street
    QX-00752-CORPORATION_FRUIT_MARKET-D.jpg

The more wealthy Market Gardeners had trucks.
    QX-00751-CORPORATION_FRUIT_MARKET-D.jpg

Recordings from South Dublin Library of interviews with Paud and Richard Flynn concerning farming in Rush, growing early potatoes, the coming of glasshouses, clannish local residents and much more.

One of the Swords residents from recordings has a recollection of Rush farmers returning from market on horse and cart while asleep from the effects of tiredness(alcohol). The horses would make the return journey on their own.:pac: The Big Tree in Swords was often a stop over point before heading home to Rush for any that needed a topping up.

Some other links for the Irish Life and Lore Fingal Collection
    Swords
    Skerries
    Balbriggan/Balrothery
    Lusk
    Naul
    Malahide
    Loughshinny

Are there any pictures of the Good Old Days exhibition around. I'd love to see them if there is. I have one at home taken at the front of the little cottage which acted as the entrance. I presume that cottage was just created for the exhibition. I'm not sure about that. Was there any reports in any papers when it opened and closed? Was there a big auction of the stuff and at what stage did it get knocked down. There seems to be only a wall left.

Very few online, only photo I found was this

Sure plenty of Dubs have holiday snaps in the attic.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the picture. It's great to see it again. Any idea what year it was taken? I know the exhibition was opened in 1972 and closed in 1984. How did they manage to get the mill wheel out never mind all the other stuff. I think but I'm not sure did Liam Butterly live in that bunglow next door at the front of the exhibition. It seems to be replaced with a different bunglow now.

Thanks a lot for the picture. It's great to see it again. Any idea what year it was taken? I know the exhibition was opened in 1972 and closed in 1984.

No date on the photo so I couldn't tell you.
    How did they manage to get the mill wheel out never mind all the other stuff. I think

They fairly knocked down parts of the site after it closed so it should have been easy to remove exhibits.
    but I'm not sure did Liam Butterly live in that bunglow next door at the front of the exhibition. It seems to be replaced with a different bunglow now.

Yes he did, his house was knocked and another built when the house was sold. The place became an eyesore for years when it closed, the old car park still is. I haven't a clue were the displays was sold off to.

So it seems Liam Butterly sold his house as well as closing the exhibition. I wonder did his luck change for the worst or something. Is it Butterly's who live in that house now? Is his widow still alive? Some years ago I was trying to find out stuff about the good old days and I spoke to her. I think she was living in some other part of Rush. There was some work and collecting that went into it and it did him proud. I think the cottage at the front of the exhibition was just newly built but I don't know for sure. Did all his family work in it? I remember there was a woman who took the admission on entrance to the exhibition. Then there was the two girls(daughters) who worked the pitch and putt. I think there was anothere daughter (maybe) who was behind the counter in the resturant. Another thing that went missing in Rush was the two lions from outside the front door of Kenure house. They dissapeared before the house did. I heard they were outside somebody's house in Rush. Any truth in it?

So it seems Liam Butterly sold his house as well as closing the exhibition. I wonder did his luck change for the worst or something. Is it Butterly's who live in that house now? Is his widow still alive? Some years ago I was trying to find out stuff about the good old days and I spoke to her. I think she was living in some other part of Rush. There was some work and collecting that went into it and it did him proud. I think the cottage at the front of the exhibition was just newly built but I don't know for sure. Did all his family work in it? I remember there was a woman who took the admission on entrance to the exhibition. Then there was the two girls(daughters) who worked the pitch and putt. I think there was anothere daughter (maybe) who was behind the counter in the resturant. Another thing that went missing in Rush was the two lions from outside the front door of Kenure house. They dissapeared before the house did. I heard they were outside somebody's house in Rush. Any truth in it?

No

Correction following LeoB info.

I heard they were moved to Newbridge House but just checked there and the Newbridge Lions are smaller than Kenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Is it Butterly's who live in that house now??
    . No but they all live around Rush. Very nice people.
    Is his widow still alive? .Some years ago I was trying to find out stuff about the good old days and I spoke to her. I think she was living in some other part of Rush.
    Yes She lives fairly close by
    Did all his family work in it?
    From what I remember they all played a role in it.

Another thing that went missing in Rush was the two lions from outside the front door of Kenure house. They dissapeared before the house did. I heard they were outside somebody's house in Rush. Any truth in it?
    No

Well I think they are both sitting outside Rush houses. I know where one is and If I remember I will check where the other one but think its in a Rush garden.

It was a great achievment putting the Good old days together. Liam was quite an interesting man. I found him vey good to have a chat with the few times I did speak to him. You will find a lot of people like that in N.C.D. who have great stories about life in the 40s, 50s and 60s, stories told with great detail.

One thing we can say our predecessors were a very telented and versatile people. When you consider a lot left school 13 OR 14 they done well and could teach quite a few today how to manage and budget, but different times I suppose.

• Advertisement

That's very interesting. As a kid I actually met Irish men who had fought in the first world war. They told me the reason they joined the British army was not out of loyalty to any king. It was because it was a steady job and they needed the money and also they said they hoped it would lead to home rule in Ireland as promised. They felt bad about the people who were being shot here in Ireland at the same time. No doubt they were all brave men.

There were quite a few who went to fight in the first world war. David Snook has done huge research into Rush and fingal people who served in the merchany navy and found quite a few from around here lost their lives.

Very few would have went out of loyalty to the king and it was the same all over Ireland with the dream of home rule driving many to sign up. Quite a few from Dublin signed up as work had dried up and then there was the lock out. There were stories of many being shuned and hated for signing up.

Must have been some time to be alive for the decade from 1912 onwards
    Titanic
    WW 1
    Easter rising
    War of Independence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

How did they manage to get the mill wheel out never mind all the other stuff.

The wheel was still in the bar building at the back circa 1990's. Don't think they ever moved it.

Could it really still be there? From what I can see the old outside wall of the exhibition is still there but it's hard to make out now where anything was. It's very hard to make out where the pitch and putt green was and the pond and the crazy golf. A list of things I remember on show in the exhibition were: A huge clock that orignally stood on the platform of Waterloo train station in London, a horse drawn cab, a baby Austin, another old car, a razor used to shave prisoners, a winnowing machine, a hay bogey, steam driven thrashing machines, guns, a forge, the mill wheel, cigarette cards, traps, jaunting cars, a picture of the Palmer family etc not to mention the cottage that was laid out in the old style as you entered the exhibition. I know things change with time but Rush with its lanes still feels the same to me.

Yes, those people who started out maybe a tougher way in life often did well. They could teach people a lesson.

Was the thatched cottage at the entrance to the Good Old Days exbibition real or was it just created for the exhibition. Are there any pictures of the inside of it anywhere or the rest of the exhibits.

Corsendonk, will you ever have a look and see if I have long lost wealthy relatives? The type giving away a few €uro. Could do with a little lift;)

Have you family on the East Coast of America?

Have you family on the East Coast of America?

I do indeed. Based in Florida and think the son may have moved to new job elsewhere.

I do indeed. Based in Florida and think the son may have moved to new job elsewhere.

Pity Lady Gaga mother maiden name is Cynthia Bissett from West Virginia.

Pity Lady Gaga mother maiden name is Cynthia Bissett from West Virginia.

Almost Heaven............

There is a bit more culture and talent in our lineage.

If anyone saw Dubliners, Chieftans, Christy Moore in Florida chances are they were brought there by a cousin of mine, Big Rock's son. You remember Big Rock?

Does anyone know where exactly the kenure cottage hospital was or anything about it and if the cottage at the front of the good old days exhibition was a genuine old cottage or just built sepecially for the exhibition.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where exactly the kenure cottage hospital was .

The cottage hospital is the 3 story house just beside Dalmac on Lower Main St. Built around 1840 but possibly earlier.
    or anything about it and if the cottage at the front of the good old days exhibition was a genuine old cottage or just built sepecially for the exhibition.

As far as I know it was built for the exhibition.

Does anyone remember or have good memories of the Cradle Rock in Rush? Back in the early 80s it was a great place for music on the weekends. It was run by a nice family from the North called Doyle. The father died about three years ago. He had already sold the pub and it's now the Michael Collins. Don't know when he sold it. Think they stayed on living in Rush, not sure. There was a son Francis and two sisters I think Maria and Bernie. Maybe Bernie wasn't a sister, I'm not sure, was she? We had great nights in the Cradle. Have the family gone back to the North?

Does anyone remember or have good memories of the Cradle Rock in Rush? Back in the early 80s it was a great place for music on the weekends. It was run by a nice family from the North called Doyle. The father died about three years ago. He had already sold the pub and it's now the Michael Collins. Don't know when he sold it. Think they stayed on living in Rush, not sure. There was a son Francis and two sisters I think Maria and Bernie. Maybe Bernie wasn't a sister, I'm not sure, was she? We had great nights in the Cradle. Have the family gone back to the North?

The Rush Facebook site might be best to answer your questions.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rush-Needs-You/115079605204194

I remember it well.:D

Great days indeed. The bands played upstairs in the Vikings Rest. If I remember correctly £5 got you in but a few were free. Don Baker, Rob Strong, Intua Nua, Les Enfants, Zen Alligators, stoktens wing, Freddie White to name but a few played there. They were normally Saturday nights with Pat Sheridan on a Sunday night. Baker and String had a huge following. Pat Sheridan was also top notch, and one of the best to at covering Roy Orbison and Bagattelle

The family still live locally, you are pretty much bang on regards the family. Bernie lives up North Maria and Francis live locally, not exactly sure where Maria lives.

The Harbour Bar then became a good good venue for music with a different mix, along with the Rob Strong and Don Baker there were some very good bands like Paper chase and E Z Feelin and suprise suprise a few ABBA acts started to turn up along with caberet like Laurie Hartz and ballad / trad groups like Chisel who were fronted by Doc Savage.

Memories............. Great times.

Thanks a lot for all that. I didn't realise such well known bands played in the Cradle Rock. I have memories of the Posers playing there. It was a nice pub downstairs too. Good to hear that most of the Doyles still live somewhere in Rush. Are they all married now? I remember Maria had a horse. It was a good place to drop in for a bit of grub as well and had a nice fire in it. It was a part of Rush. I don't know what the Michael Collins is like.

The Posers were very good and had a huge following.

Rush had a lot of good music over the years. From the showband days with The Clipper carlton, The Graduates, Sonny Knowles, Dickie Rock playing in the Palladium. I also heard a few years ago the one and only Englebert Humperdink played in the Palladium, dont know how true that is. Later groups like The Clowns, Joe Dolan and other Irish showbands. Maken & Clancy, Wolfe tones, Dubliners, to neame but a few. Also some good local bands like Paper chase, The carricks, Tommy Duff. Also places like Walsh's, The Drop Inn, and the Harbour bar were noted for sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

How could i contact this Fr Kit Sheridan. Have lotsa questions about family.

opawaman wrote: »
    How could i contact this Fr Kit Sheridan. Have lotsa questions about family.

Will pm you an address.

Or you could put up a question or 2 here, plenty of lurkers might be able to help

Continuing on down memory lane, does anybody remember a caravan site in Portmarnock on the main street? I was there on holidays as a child in the 60s. There were some interesting people who were living on the site all year round. There was a woman who we felt looked a bit like a fortune teller and her daughter a child like ourselves. They were not travellers as we know them but they were transients of some sort. I would love to know what became of them. I think the site shut down in the 70s. It's a long shot but I'd just love to know what becmame of those people.

• Advertisement

Seen this posted on another site. The fields look to be in two locations in Rush. How the pub fronts have changed.

Advertisement