Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Davy wrote: »
    Can you try pairing them on another Wi-Fi network?

I haven't tried that as I assumed they had to be on the same network as the echo??

degsie wrote: »
    What colour is the wifi led on the plug? Is it stable or flashing? Remember they only connect to the 2.4GHz signal.

It was solid green. But when setting it up it flashes from green to orange.
    antodeco wrote: »
    Are you on Virgin Media by any chance?

Yep is there something up with their network??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

I had to plug out/in two devices over the last few days to get then to reconnect to WiFi. First was after a power cut, but this morning there was no apparent reason for the drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

I have used the search function but have not found the answer Im looking for,

I have an echo show and 3 echo dots that I bought in the US last Black Friday while I was in the US. I set up a US amazon account and had them delivered to the hotel. When I came back to Ireland I de registered them from the US account and registered them to my Irish account through Amazon UK. They worked perfectly.

I decided to pay for Amazon Music Unlimited for one device (The Show) and it worked perfectly for a while. The last 3 weeks it has being having problems. If can say "Alexa play music by Michael Jackson" the response is "I cant find songs by Michael Jackson" However if I "Alexa say play an album by Michael Jackson" It will work. Or If I say "Alexa play (Song Name) by (Artist) it will work.

I had being on toe Amazon numerous times about this and they kept bouncing me around to different departments and opening tickets. I got through to a customer service rep last week that told me all UK and Irish users were having this problem. Im not sure if this is true but at least I can play music again. Has anyone else had this problem?

My 2nd problem was the dots. I had amazon prime and I was told by numerous customer service reps that I should be able to play Amazon Music(2 million free songs not unlimited) through these as I have a prime account. That also never worked. I had numerous tickets opened and have had them ring me a few times but it still does not work. Is there anyone here with amazon prime that is playing prime music through their Dots?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have an echo show and 3 echo dots that I bought in the US last Black Friday while I was in the US. I set up a US amazon account and had them delivered to the hotel. When I came back to Ireland I de registered them from the US account and registered them to my Irish account through Amazon UK. They worked perfectly.

I decided to pay for Amazon Music Unlimited for one device (The Show) and it worked perfectly for a while. The last 3 weeks it has being having problems. If can say "Alexa play music by Michael Jackson" the response is "I cant find songs by Michael Jackson" However if I "Alexa say play an album by Michael Jackson" It will work. Or If I say "Alexa play (Song Name) by (Artist) it will work.

I had being on toe Amazon numerous times about this and they kept bouncing me around to different departments and opening tickets. I got through to a customer service rep last week that told me all UK and Irish users were having this problem. Im not sure if this is true but at least I can play music again. Has anyone else had this problem?

My 2nd problem was the dots. I had amazon prime and I was told by numerous customer service reps that I should be able to play Amazon Music(2 million free songs not unlimited) through these as I have a prime account. That also never worked. I had numerous tickets opened and have had them ring me a few times but it still does not work. Is there anyone here with amazon prime that is playing prime music through their Dots?

Nope! Same problem and no solution to date! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Nope! Same problem and no solution to date! :(
    This is the original reply I got. It made no difference to me but it may work for you.

Hello,

Greetings from Amazon. Hope you are doing well!

I'm sorry to hear the trouble you've had with your account details and want to know if you have a UK account.

I've checked and see that your 1 Click settings are not updated with your payment card information because of which you are facing this issue.

In this case, I'd request you update your 1-Click settings so that you won't need to enter payment information every time as well.

To update 1-Click settings follow the simple steps:

1. Goto www.amazon.co.uk/youraccount

2. Click on "Payment Options"

3. Then click on "1-Click settings" option found at the top left.

4. If your 1-Click is disabled, please turn it on.

5. Click on "Add a new 1-Click preference" to add new payment card details.

6. You should be good to go.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to please contact us back via our free Phone, so that we'll gather more information on this and help you further with real-time assistance and if the issue persists, we'll escalate this to our technical team for further assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I haven't tried that as I assumed they had to be on the same network as the echo??

These are two separate functions, forgot the Alexa link for a second and make sure they work first on their own before adding the skill.

Are the plugs working via the Kasa app as you would expect them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

Seems to be fixed now,I just tried it and its working now

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

These are two separate functions, forgot the Alexa link for a second and make sure they work first on their own before adding the skill.

Are the plugs working via the Kasa app as you would expect them to?

Theyre not connecting at all through the kasa app.Its stuck in a "connecting " loop--just stays on the screen connecting.
    I honestly think theyre faulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theyre not connecting at all through the kasa app.Its stuck in a "connecting " loop--just stays on the screen connecting.
    I honestly think theyre faulty.

Can you try connecting them to another Wi-Fi network or hotspot?

When they are blinking Amber/green trying to connect, press the settings button then for 10 seconds to reset them. Should change to 'Amber' only then.

Can you try connecting them to another Wi-Fi network or hotspot?

When they are blinking Amber/green trying to connect, press the settings button then for 10 seconds to reset them. Should change to 'Amber' only then.

I got to the bottom of it eventually.
    There was an update for my router pushed out by UPC on the day the HS100 stopped working.
    Basically what happened the tplink was trying to connect to the wireless network--I was getting a solid green light meaning it was connected but it wasn't getting an ip address.
    I found a program called ipscanner online and scanned my entire network and found the mac address of the plugs. They were connected to the network but had no ip address -- I found somewhere on the tplink forums that the hs100 looks for an ip in the range of 192.x.x. 02 to 10.
    The update to the router caused it to start giving out dhcp ip addresses above 192.168.1.15 for some stupid reason or another.
    I found the setting in the routers settings and changed the range back to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 and straight away the plugs got ip addresses (one got 03 and the other got 04) and started working again straight away.

Might sound long winded but just in case someone gets a similar issue with a UPC epc3925 modem and the plugs dropping off make sure the dhcp range is giving out the lower ones below .10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see that, FINALLY, Apple Music can now be set as the default music service on Echo devices.

The skill has to be enabled and then chosen in settings rather than appearing there automatically.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-ho...ices-in-the-uk

Working nicely for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I see that, FINALLY, Apple Music can now be set as the default music service on Echo devices.

The skill has to be enabled and then chosen in settings rather than appearing there automatically.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-ho...ices-in-the-uk

Working nicely for me.

Alexa keeps telling me Apple Music is not available in my region. I have the skill enabled and Apple Music set as default. Any suggestions?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Won’t let me link to my apple account just gives me a white screen and hangs

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

anyone have a fire stick? and if so any issues to look out for? the reviews of the basic version seem terrible.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Won’t let me link to my apple account just gives me a white screen and hangs

Ok found a solution this morning and it worked. I logged into my Alexa account from my MAC and was able to link the accounts and now Apple Music is working perfectly through Alexa problem solved. Still would not work through iOS when I tried this morning after an app update.

Hope this helps anyone having the same issue I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys, is the free music service that amazon launched this week for echo, is that available in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys, is the free music service that amazon launched this week for echo, is that available in Ireland ?

Think it's linked to Prime music which isn't available here.
    Could be mistaken on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is there a way to get the Echo to play Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. but to exclude their Christmas songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Is there a way to get the Echo to play Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. but to exclude their Christmas songs?

Why don't you make a play list of what you want and play the play list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

either playlist or say next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

limnam wrote: »
    Why don't you make a play list of what you want and play the play list?
    scamalert wrote: »
    either playlist or say next.

I didn't know a playlist was possible. I had googled earlier but nothing like that came up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Ok found a solution this morning and it worked. I logged into my Alexa account from my MAC and was able to link the accounts and now Apple Music is working perfectly through Alexa problem solved. Still would not work through iOS when I tried this morning after an app update.

Hope this helps anyone having the same issue I was.

Ok... Just expanding on this a tad

Had exactly the same problem but using windows 10

Chrome is the my browser of choice and when I used this I still had a blank white screen

Switched to Edge and is linked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone else here use Deezer on there Echo and have issues looking for a particular Artist. Like if i say "Alexa...Play calvin Harris" and it never seems to find anything(For any artist) but when it comes to alexa play music it plays flow as normal. Any suggestions on how to fix this to look for artist of even song?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Anyone else here use Deezer on there Echo and have issues looking for a particular Artist. Like if i say "Alexa...Play calvin Harris" and it never seems to find anything(For any artist) but when it comes to alexa play music it plays flow as normal. Any suggestions on how to fix this to look for artist of even song?

Works fine for me.
    Could try changing the default music service to amazon and then back to Deezer?

Works fine for me.
    Could try changing the default music service to amazon and then back to Deezer?

No luck with changing that im afraid

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    No luck with changing that im afraid

Give me 2 or 3 artists that didnt work for you and I will try them if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Does anyone have any issues with Alexa forgetting reminders?

I had set one up to remind me every day at 8pm to give a child some medicine (I usually remember anyway).
    It used to remind me on the device and also a push notification on my phone but now it's just decided to stop for some reason.

This isn't the first time.

I can still see the reminder as active in the app

Give me 2 or 3 artists that didnt work for you and I will try them if you like

I got it sorted,it kept saying back “I could not find that in deezer” to artists like avicii,Calvin Harris and Coldplay,

Looked at this Website and changed the language to English is and it’s working again...must be a bug on the uk part.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

I see Amazon announced a new Echo Show 5

Decent price and 25 pounds off if you order now

Tempted to buy at this price - wondering if it can integrate Google Nest and Drayton heating systems

I already have Hue and Blink Cameras would be nice to be able to have a complete hub to control them all

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KD7TJD6/ref=gw_uk_desk_h1_aucc_ck_l_tagline?pf_rd_p=87af29a3-7829-4458-b137-40ef44e2f9d1&pf_rd_r=CJ3MQ71X2WQ7T6H8M6MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Scolly wrote: »
    I see Amazon announced a new Echo Show 5

Decent price and 25 pounds off if you order now

Tempted to buy at this price - wondering if it can integrate Google Nest and Drayton heating systems

I already have Hue and Blink Cameras would be nice to be able to have a complete hub to control them all

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KD7TJD6/ref=gw_uk_desk_h1_aucc_ck_l_tagline?pf_rd_p=87af29a3-7829-4458-b137-40ef44e2f9d1&pf_rd_r=CJ3MQ71X2WQ7T6H8M6MC

How do you find the blink cameras? Was thinking of taking the plunge with them

Advertisement