Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

There is no ordinary drone that can harm an airplane. Like Met Eireann and their weather warnings, this was a complete overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JMNolan wrote: »
    There is no ordinary drone that can harm an airplane. Like Met Eireann and their weather warnings, this was a complete overreaction.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I thought even a couple of birds could wreck a jet engine...
    Couldnt a drone with some wire hanging out of it cause a problem...
    or very easily.... a combustible substance attached to it that would detonate on impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not to mention what it would do if ingested by an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Alun wrote: »

Not to mention what it would do if ingested by an engine.

From DJI, in relation to that video, which is apparently misleading:

The speed of the impact in the video assumes that the Mooney M20 used in the project was flying at maximum cruising speed and the drone was flying beyond its maximum speed. The plane would only be flying that fast at altitudes well above a drone's regulated maximum altitude. DJI asserts that the actual impact energy would be much lower due to the slower speed the plane would be flying at were it to encounter a drone at a normal altitude where they're found.
    The researchers used the damage caused to a four-seater plane as evidence of that which would be caused to a commercial jet.
    The researchers did not follow rigorous scientific testing protocol.
    The test was designed to maximize damage instead of following FAA's protocol, which dictate testing the most likely scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

manonboard wrote: »
    a combustible substance attached to it that would detonate on impact?

Isis have used drones for this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Effects wrote: »
    From DJI, in relation to that video, which is apparently misleading:

The speed of the impact in the video assumes that the Mooney M20 used in the project was flying at maximum cruising speed and the drone was flying beyond its maximum speed. The plane would only be flying that fast at altitudes well above a drone's regulated maximum altitude. DJI asserts that the actual impact energy would be much lower due to the slower speed the plane would be flying at were it to encounter a drone at a normal altitude where they're found.
    The researchers used the damage caused to a four-seater plane as evidence of that which would be caused to a commercial jet.
    The researchers did not follow rigorous scientific testing protocol.
    The test was designed to maximize damage instead of following FAA's protocol, which dictate testing the most likely scenario.

DJI are relying on people legally being allowed to fly these at small airfields so that's very valid comment on their part. That's how the law stands here now regarding propeller driven rc aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Military are involved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

t6dabaiuczbdwj0wdqls.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It's not the drones that are the problem,it's the most dangerous creations on the planet,human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Putin could close the UK down by remote control from his bunker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

There's nothing like hiking to some lovely spot and some bellend with a drone starts buzzing the poxy thing over your head.

Putin could close the UK down by remote control from his bunker.

We counld patrol our own airspace!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

No way they could take a chance if someone is deliberately flying a drone up and down the runway.
    Possibly be on manslaughter charges if something happened,and of course loss of life and financial damages.

People keeping an eye out the windows for a drone on the taxiway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Next will be hunter killer drones stationed at airports & ready to attack any incoming drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's relatively easy to prevent this happening around airports between software and hardware drones could easily be blocked from.getting close to any airport

VeryTerry wrote: »
    There's nothing like hiking to some lovely spot and some bellend with a drone starts buzzing the poxy thing over your head.

The views you can get of sights around the country are unreal unsung a drone, stuff you could never see and from angles you get never get. They are fantastic for sightseeing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Gatling wrote: »
    It's relatively easy to prevent this happening around airports between software and hardware drones could easily be blocked from.getting close to any airport

how ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Airport Hawks used in Netherlands to remove drones... Dunno how long it takes to train up a hawk or buzzard to do this, but I reckon it'll be coming soon to an airport near you...
    They'll need big owls too to take out night flying drones..
    https://youtu.be/dc_ovddVRKE

I'm sure there's better links out there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

gctest50 wrote: »
    how ?

GPS location. I’ve often got a warning that I was in a “no fly zone” when flying a drone loads of times (being in a city or “too close” to an airport (I was a long way from it)). You can just overrule the warning though at the moment but I assume they could make it so you can’t overrule it.

If they did do this though they would want to relax the no fly zones as they are ridiculous at the moment.

We blame the Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

GPS location. I’ve often got a warning that I was in a “no fly zone” when flying a drone loads of times (being in a city or “too close” to an airport (I was a long way from it)). You can just overrule the warning though at the moment but I assume they could make it so you can’t overrule it.

If they did do this though they would want to relax the no fly zones as they are ridiculous at the moment.

But what's to stop someone from altering the software themselves so they could fly in a no-fly zone and then causing mischief like what happened today?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Gatling wrote: »

I know it would be a larger scale,but they could use nets to stop drones like they do on prisons.

Whenever I've seen a drone fly the battery is dead in less than 20minutes. Has this dude got some van filled with them or what's going on

Hard to tell from the satellite footage what exactly blew the man with the remote control back into his house, put the drone in his mouth and smashed up his gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Whenever I've seen a drone fly the battery is dead in less than 20minutes. Has this dude got some van filled with them or what's going on

It said on the news it was an industrial drone, not the small consumer yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

How high can these drones climb, what speed can they do, could these be used to down a jet,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Don't think we're hearing the full story here.
    Even if it is industrial drones, surely would be easier to track?

And if any groups wished to bring the whole country to a standstill, they just need to get their hands on a few more for Heathrow, Standsted and other major airports.

Advertisement