Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice requested - Looking after friend's turtles!

• 18-12-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking after our friend's three turtles for a week. Just a few questions in case anyone could help.

1. We have a filter in the water which is run to clean it out, but the water is still smelling despite this, should we change the water every day or is it normal for a smell to be in the water despite filtering? When they were delivered to us we put in fresh water at the correct temperature and also used a solution they have to make normal pre-boiled tap water suitable for turtles. We still have the solution and can repeat this process throughout the week if needed. The water is constantly temperature controlled as well in case this is relevant.

2. Is it best to get the turles in position before dropping food into the tank? Might sound silly, but one fella called Eugene seemed to wolf down the majority before the others were aware of it! And yes I am aware of washing my hands after handling the turtles.

Never had reptiles as pets so excuse the noob questions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife and I are looking after our friend's three turtles for a week. Just a few questions in case anyone could help.

1. We have a filter in the water which is run to clean it out, but the water is still smelling despite this, should we change the water every day or is it normal for a smell to be in the water despite filtering? When they were delivered to us we put in fresh water at the correct temperature and also used a solution they have to make normal pre-boiled tap water suitable for turtles. We still have the solution and can repeat this process throughout the week if needed. The water is constantly temperature controlled as well in case this is relevant.

the water needs to be part changed once a week , if its smelling too bad , make sure there is no food rotting away in it , and the filther is powerfull enough to keep it properly cleaned
    2. Is it best to get the turles in position before dropping food into the tank? Might sound silly, but one fella called Eugene seemed to wolf down the majority before the others were aware of it! And yes I am aware of washing my hands after handling the turtles.
    just drop the food in they are pigs , just dont over feed them and take out what ever they dont eat
    Never had reptiles as pets so excuse the noob questions :D

Advertisement