Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving Broadband Provider

Options
  • 13-11-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm moving from Virgin to Digiweb and I'm wondering if there's a less painful way of moving all devices over to the new service other than going into Home Assistant, removing each item and setting them up again on the new service.

There are 4 camera's, multiple Hue lights, light switches, sensors, smart speakers, Hubs etc.

Is there a way to make this relatively easy or do I need to remove each item from the assistant and add them in again when setting up on the new provider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Not that familiar with Home Assistant but is the concern that the IP addresses will change?

If so how are they currently getting IP addresses DHCP or fixed/reservations? IF DHCP would have thought they may change from time to time anyway on reboots?

If you want devices to have same IP with the new router you could try using the same LAN addressing scheme on the new router as your old router had e.g. 192.168.1.x

If you still have the Virgin one operating take note of the IP addresses and MAC addresses of each device and use that to create address reservations on the new router (if it allows, Digiweb router is well regarded so assume it would).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks Chief but I'm really not that technically minded! I'm just wondering if I have an easy to follow procedure to get everything onto the new broadband service or if I'm stuck doing everything one by one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You can try to rename your new wifi router exactly the same as your old one, with the exact same password.

Worked for 2011

I love wired hubs for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

Thanks Chief but I'm really not that technically minded! I'm just wondering if I have an easy to follow procedure to get everything onto the new broadband service or if I'm stuck doing everything one by one.

I am two days in now with Digiweb - what a joy to use - speeds are faster then EIR and I was paying 85 to 90 euro a month!!! for standard fibre broadband, went with DIGIWEB customer support OMG incredible - the longest wait time has been 90 seconds - I was fuming LOL not!!! we swapped over landline everything - it arrived - I plugged it in and bingo all set up - had to set up Amazon Alexa - Heating Thermostat - Printers via WPS button etc - everything had to start from scratch but trust me the savings will outweigh the little inconvenience.

Stoner wrote: »
    You can try to rename your new wifi router exactly the same as your old one, with the exact same password.

Worked for 2011

I love wired hubs for this reason.

It couldn't be that easy...... surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It couldn't be that easy...... surely?

Should do the trick alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

No it's not. The SSID may be the same but most/all devices will see that it's not the same router and network and you'll have to enter join with password again.

Thanks folks. Changed the SSID name and password on the new router to that of the old one and everything seems to be working just fine. I'm delighted as I thought it was going to be a lot more hassle.

Advertisement