Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Stars RTE

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

cms88 wrote:
    You of course wouldn't be bias at all with those comments...

Or yourself, every year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Wasn't much in it. They were two good options, scoring forwards will always attract the votes though.

I would agree that Clifford was always getting it, he's being held up as Kerry's saviour, but that doesn't mean he didn't deserve it either.

Howard's main achievement was making the team. He held of serious competition for a young lad. He was fantastic in the Under 21last year too. Paul Flynn didn't get look in this year and he was flying by all accounts.

In a strange way Howard is the type of player Kerry are not producing and could really do with, but scores are scores and Clifford is certainly prolific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Stoner wrote: »
    In a strange way Howard is the type of player Kerry are not producing and could really do with, but scores are scores and Clifford is certainly prolific.

Without a doubt, we’d love to have him. We did produce one btw but he chose the AFL which is a pity for Kerry. Sean O’Shea is is probably in that mould as well and should improve in the coming years. There are others that may come through yet but I’d agree with you we really need a few skilful six feet plus footballers around middle eight.

I’ll be very interested to see who PK brings in and how he sets up. I don’t know if we have enough players in the right positions for the foreseeable future to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sports team of the year is always more interesting, not to say bizarre.

Who's in the running to succeed the beloved show jumpers?

Is there a dog that has balanced a ball on his nose on the Toy Show? Or perhaps a pig who can jump over a small wall?

Oh no. Problem, solved. the rugger chaps won something. They even get nominated when they are cr@p so that's that then …

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Methinks the lady schtick fighters (the posh ones) have Team of The Year sewn up & well they should.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Methinks the lady schtick fighters (the posh ones) have Team of The Year sewn up & well they should.

Well we know who it won't be anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I more than anyone cringe at all the praise placed ad nauseum on the Rugby team, but if they beat New Zealand next week they have to get that award in all fairness. Basically cementing their place as the best team in the world for 2018

jr86 wrote: »
    I more than anyone cringe at all the praise placed ad nauseum on the Rugby team, but if they beat New Zealand next week they have to get that award in all fairness. Basically cementing their place as the best team in the world for 2018

The audience voted for fkn shop jumpers last year.

Galway winning first AI in nearly 30 years and Dublin winning 3 in a row paled in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jr86 wrote: »
    I more than anyone cringe at all the praise placed ad nauseum on the Rugby team, but if they beat New Zealand next week they have to get that award in all fairness. Basically cementing their place as the best team in the world for 2018/

Unless it's a World Cup year, that's pretty meaningless imo. Winning the Grand Slam - and winning it with such style - was great. The squad should definitely be in the running for Team of the Year for doing that, but calling yourself the best team in the world, is not really worth anything, unless there is a trophy to show for it imo.

We will only ever genuinely be that, when it matters, when we have the trophy(s) in the cabinet, a la The All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭cms88

Stoner wrote: »
    Or yourself, every year.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The 45 All star nominations will be made public tomorrow morning

Not my selection but what i expect to be selected

Goalkeepers

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
    Shane Ryan (Kerry)
    Shaun Patton (Donegal)

Defenders

Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry)
    Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
    Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin)
    Paddy Durcan (Mayo)
    Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
    James McCarthy (Dublin)
    Colm Boyle (Mayo)
    David Byrne (Dublin)
    John Small (Dublin)
    Donal Keogan (Meath)
    Jonny Cooper (Dublin)
    Paul Murphy (Kerry)
    Gavin Crowley (Kerry)
    Tadgh Morley (Kerry)
    Jason Foley (Kerry)
    Niall Daly (Roscommon)
    Frank Burns (Tyrone)
    Stephen McMenamin (Donegal)

Midfielders

Brian Fenton (Dublin)
    David Moran (Kerry)
    Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
    Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Michael Dara McAuley (Dublin)
    Bryan Menton (Meath)

Forwards

Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)
    Cathal McShane (Tyone)
    David Clifford (Kerry)
    Sean O'Shea (Kerry)
    Brian Howard (Dublin)
    Paul Mannion (Dublin)
    Stephen O'Brien (Kerry)
    Michael Murphy (Donegal)
    Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
    Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
    Paul Geaney (Kerry)
    Dean Rock (Dublin)
    Conor Cox (Roscommon)
    Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
    Peter Harte (Tyrone)
    Paddy McBreaty (Donegal)
    Mark Collins (Cork)
    Luke Connolly (Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Don't think Donegal deserved that many.
    I mean, they beat Meath. That's it

Tyrone didn't even win a provincial title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

8 that i expected to make the cut but didn't J Cooper,F Burns,J Foley,G Crowley,C Cavanagh,P Harte,M Collins,L Connolly

8 that got in that i didn't expect. C Barrett,C Moynagh, C McGill,J Og Burns,B Hurley,J Malone,J Brennan,R O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It’s odd that Fenton is more or less guaranteed an all star but was well beaten in his only 2 proper contests all year

Kerry couldn't get out of their own half for 15 minutes with an extra man in the drawn game. I think any player that was central to that deserves a nod!

Will most likely be Fenton and Moran, despite latter going missing for crucial periods in both games.

MDM had great year but won't get it because of way these things are managed.

Don't think any of them will be particularly worried one way or the other,

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kerry couldn't get out of their own half for 15 minutes with an extra man in the drawn game. I think any player that was central to that deserves a nod!

Will most likely be Fenton and Moran, despite latter going missing for crucial periods in both games.

It’s not a team award though- it’s an individual award.

Moran didn’t go missing- he just kicked a couple of wides but Fenton was beat out the gate both days.

MDM has a great year? Against who?

Wasn't slagging Moran - merely pointing out that he like all of the other midfield nominees had days that were not as good as others,

Fenton was well policed in both games but was also key to the periods in which Dublin dominated possession. Likewise Moran was key to periods in which Kerry took the game to Dublin.

To be honest it is an award I don't really see huge merit in, and it is pretty much scripted: winners will get 5/6/7; losing finalists 3/4; then a scattering of lads who might have had a really good game in defeat, or been consistently good with a team that didn't feature in the business end.

Wasn't slagging Moran - merely pointing out that he like all of the other midfield nominees had days that were not as good as others,

Fenton was well policed in both games but was also key to the periods in which Dublin dominated possession. Likewise Moran was key to periods in which Kerry took the game to Dublin.

To be honest it is an award I don't really see huge merit in, and it is pretty much scripted: winners will get 5/6/7; losing finalists 3/4; then a scattering of lads who might have had a really good game in defeat, or been consistently good with a team that didn't feature in the business end.

I agree with all of the above and I'm just pointing out it's odd that he will more than likely get one when he didnt play great in either final.

I guess the standard of midfielders just might not be there at the moment.

One of the online podcast thingies - Balls or Joe.ie picked Michael Murphy as one of the two.

He was certainly one of Donegal's key players - one of the few to do himself justice in the Mayo game - but from what I saw of him he wouldn't have been midfield, and didn't get an official nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It’s odd that Fenton is more or less guaranteed an all star but was well beaten in his only 2 proper contests all year

Don’t think he cares with another All-Ireland medal in his pocket.

Wouldn’t begrudge them going to someone else, more of a consolation prize.

An All-Stars without any of the winners would be interesting.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

I'm not sure of the relevance of whether he cares or not to the discussion.

Sure why not just have an exrta midfelid one just for MDM...

I'm not sure of the relevance of whether he cares or not to the discussion.

It'll be like when when Moran etc won player of the year. The Dubs will say it doesn't matter etc yet surprisingly it was very important last year. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He had a great game for Raheny against Oliver Plunketts in fairness - I think he got 4/5 from play!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is just what the all-stars is - really the fellas who won the Sam don't give a damn about it. The fellas that didn't look on it as some form of consolation. The supporters of the 31 counties (32 including London/NY) who did not win Sam view such awards as some sort of hope for the future.

Let's be honest the awards are a sham anyway, all politics it has a real 'school sports day' feel about it.
    Not only that fellas get put in positions they did not/hardly played in to 'accommodate them' to get all-stars.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Still don't know why Donegal got so many players nominated

The one game they had to win all year they bottled it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

IMO it's a great honour for any player to be selected as an all star and most certainly not a consolation prize.Pretty insulting to indicate otherwise and same denigrates the awards.

I've no doubt Jack McCaffrey will greatly celebrate a POTY award.No less will any members of an All Ireland winning teams celebrate receipt of an all star.The fact the selections annually provoke so much controversy and discussion indicates the regard they're held in.

That is just what the all-stars is - really the fellas who won the Sam don't give a damn about it. The fellas that didn't look on it as some form of consolation. The supporters of the 31 counties (32 including London/NY) who did not win Sam view such awards as some sort of hope for the future.

Let's be honest the awards are a sham anyway, all politics it has a real 'school sports day' feel about it.
    Not only that fellas get put in positions they did not/hardly played in to 'accommodate them' to get all-stars.

Shane Ryan - Tom O'Sullivan, Ronan McNamee, Tadhg Morley, Paddy Durcan, Colm Boyle, Ryan McHugh - David Moran, Aidan O'Shea - David Clifford, Paul Geaney, Seán O’Shea, Stephen O’Brien, Michael Murphy, Brian Hurley

I know some would pick that team anyway and leave off all Dubs, but the Dubs have All-Ireland medals, wouldn't a team like that recognise the contribution of others through the year?

Shane Ryan - Tom O'Sullivan, Ronan McNamee, Tadhg Morley, Paddy Durcan, Colm Boyle, Ryan McHugh - David Moran, Aidan O'Shea - David Clifford, Paul Geaney, Seán O’Shea, Stephen O’Brien, Michael Murphy, Brian Hurley

I know some would pick that team anyway and leave off all Dubs, but the Dubs have All-Ireland medals, wouldn't a team like that recognise the contribution of others through the year?

Cathal MacShane was the only non-Dub that I got wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sparks 72

What a joke Paddy Durcan gets an All Star playing 3 games, alot more deserving players but of course Mayo had to get one

Advertisement