Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Did you figure out customs?

I asked question on Gearbest thread but no answer from them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I asked question on Gearbest thread but no answer from them yet

What's there to work out??
    Customs is simple - anything over the value of $22 coming from outside the EU you should be paying duty on.
    However, certain channels are more prone to enforcement than others.
    So whenever you get a package into the country with a value of more than $22 you have gotten away with being charged.

With DHL I'd imagine they get the price and type of the item on collection, and they know the destination, and it automatically goes into the "process for customs" pool.

With other more public delivery methods its down to whether it randomly gets picked out by customs officials for a check.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    What's there to work out??
    Customs is simple - anything over the value of $22 coming from outside the EU you should be paying duty on.
    However, certain channels are more prone to enforcement than others.
    So whenever you get a package into the country with a value of more than $22 you have gotten away with being charged.

With DHL I'd imagine they get the price and type of the item on collection, and they know the destination, and it automatically goes into the "process for customs" pool.

With other more public delivery methods its down to whether it randomly gets picked out by customs officials for a check.

Gearbest seemingly offer a shipping method on some items that is quicker and less risky for customs.....I was asking to confirm if that method available for the hoover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Seems to be basic model and just as cheap as elsewhere so going to hold of on purchasing this

Still tempted by the Xiaomi but just cannot justify the price yet

• Advertisement

Seems to be basic model and just as cheap as elsewhere so going to hold of on purchasing this

Still tempted by the Xiaomi but just cannot justify the price yet

Same here, I would buy tomorrow but gearbest only seem to supply at decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

thats not really a good deal at all £230 = €260 , especially considering there are better models available at that price . here is the same model for €60 less at €199 https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/irobot-roomba-605

i recently bought an Irobot Braava 390t mop from them and its a fantastic bit of kit and they were very good to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

thats not really a good deal at all £230 = €260 , especially considering there are better models available at that price . here is the same model for €60 less at €199 https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/irobot-roomba-605

i recently bought an Irobot Braava 390t mop from them and its a fantastic bit of kit and they were very good to deal with
    Interesting about the mop...next item for me.

With myrobotcenter.eu, can't say I had a good experience with them when buying Roomba a few months ago. They disputed whether I had paid or not, were very difficult to get in touch with, opening many support tickets with many people rather than dealing with queries - overall a 1 week delivery took about 3 with a lot of grief. Maybe I was a once off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Dardania wrote: »
    Interesting about the mop...next item for me.

With myrobotcenter.eu, can't say I had a good experience with them when buying Roomba a few months ago. They disputed whether I had paid or not, were very difficult to get in touch with, opening many support tickets with many people rather than dealing with queries - overall a 1 week delivery took about 3 with a lot of grief. Maybe I was a once off...

maybe i was just lucky . i asked could i buy from their uk site to get a uk plug and they responded immediately saying they would add one to my order which they did . and it shipped out the next day . delivery was slow though about 10-12 days but other than that cant fault them . especially considering their prices

Sorry to pull this back up, I am still looking for Robo Hoover

I seen the Neato D85 and the D5 connected. The D5 is about 80 quid more and wondering do you need the app?

Anyone any experience?

Can you set the D85 timer etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Sorry to pull this back up, I am still looking for Robo Hoover

I seen the Neato D85 and the D5 connected. The D5 is about 80 quid more and wondering do you need the app?

Anyone any experience?

Can you set the D85 timer etc?

have you looked at the xiaomi vacuum, it gets very good reviews, I have one and it is very good. But its not as good as a regular vacuum, it leaves matted pet hair in your carpet, but it is handy and there's an app that allows you to set when you want it to clean every day or every 2nd day or whenever you want from wherever you want.

I unfortunately only got mine last week and still have not figured out how to pair it with the app. I keep getting timed out messages, I'm about to post a thread here to see if anyone else had this issue.

have you looked at the xiaomi vacuum, it gets very good reviews, I have one and it is very good. But its not as good as a regular vacuum, it leaves matted pet hair in your carpet, but it is handy and there's an app that allows you to set when you want it to clean every day or every 2nd day or whenever you want from wherever you want.

I unfortunately only got mine last week and still have not figured out how to pair it with the app. I keep getting timed out messages, I'm about to post a thread here to see if anyone else had this issue.

I have and would love one but what sort of money are they coming in at? did you buy via China and had to pay customs ?

I have and would love one but what sort of money are they coming in at? did you buy via China and had to pay customs ?

Bought from gearbest, took about a month to get it delivered. Avoided customs. Gearbest have a way around customs it seems.
    I paid 245 euros, they are at 324 euros now, but if you wait I bet it will go back down in price in a week or 2.

One thing though, if something goes wrong, such as what I'm experiencing you'll get no technical support from gearbest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there any of these that are good on pet hair ?Have a collie that sheds a lot so thats the main reason for buying.

All floors down staris are hard wood/tiled so Im guessing it will work fine there,just thinking of the landing uptairs, thats the only place he goes that has carpet.

Tempted by the Xiaomi model,seems a great bit of kit for the price.

I have 2 cats that bed themselves down in from of my fireplace during the night. Their shedded hair gets stuck to the carpet, the vacuum gets about 70% of the hair up but it leaves the rest behind.

Bought from gearbest, took about a month to get it delivered. Avoided customs. Gearbest have a way around customs it seems.
    I paid 245 euros, they are at 324 euros now, but if you wait I bet it will go back down in price in a week or 2.

One thing though, if something goes wrong, such as what I'm experiencing you'll get no technical support from gearbest.

Neato is similar money for one without app

Do you have iPhone? I think Xiaomi and iphone isnt a good mix

No, normal android moto g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Try the Mainland China server, it's the only one that works for me! Had this frustration in the beginning with US and Singapore servers (if I recall correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes you have to use mainland china server. Once that's done apply firmware updated and change language to english. Works fine for me!

Gearbest have a 4th sale on so I got the Xioami for €235 as I had a few quid in GB Wallet.

Question is now, how does it handle multiroom. I want it to cover area of circa 1,200 sq ft. This is a sitting room, kitchen and hallway....I guess if I just leave the door open it will go from one room to another???

Does it handle multiroom ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It has no concept of rooms. It just covers all areas accessible. Uses it's own algorithm which may not make sense to user. Just let it do it's thing...

And yes it can make it over the standard 'saddle' in doorways. Gets stuck on rugs tho, need to pick those up in advance.

Is there much off an upgrade between 1st and 2nd generation Xioami?

Worth the extra €70?

srsly78 wrote: »
    It has no concept of rooms. It just covers all areas accessible. Uses it's own algorithm which may not make sense to user. Just let it do it's thing...

And yes it can make it over the standard 'saddle' in doorways. Gets stuck on rugs tho, need to pick those up in advance.

Wooden floors and tiles....one small step which is about 1cm but I think it will get over that based on the spec......

yabadabado wrote: »

Worth the extra €70?

www.google.ie

https://smartrobotreviews.com/reviews/the-new-xiaomi-robot-vacuum-vs-first-generation.html

Looks like the Gen 2 has a mop based on that review

Worth the extra €70?

70?

408 I see it priced at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Gearbest have a 4th sale on so I got the Xioami for €235 as I had a few quid in GB Wallet.

Question is now, how does it handle multiroom. I want it to cover area of circa 1,200 sq ft. This is a sitting room, kitchen and hallway....I guess if I just leave the door open it will go from one room to another???

Does it handle multiroom ok?

Ours does 45' for ~45 sq. meters in Turbo mode (note Turbo is the highest suction, not the quickest run), and battery balance drops to ~70%. So it will do your whole ~110sq.m in one charge but afaik if the battery depletes half way, it will go back to the dock, recharge, and continue from where it left off.

Besides the mop (which I see as a gimmic), reviews show the 2nd gen to work better on high pile rugs/carpets because of the better clearance and better handling of cliff sensors' feedback. The 1st gen often gets baffled over high pile rugs/carpets and behaves as if it has found an obstacle.

yannakis wrote: »
    Ours does 45' for ~45 sq. meters in Turbo mode (note Turbo is the highest suction, not the quickest run), and battery balance drops to ~70%. So it will do your whole ~110sq.m in one charge but afaik if the battery depletes half way, it will go back to the dock, recharge, and continue from where it left off.

Thanks....found this online

Battery

The MIJIA Robot comes with a 5200mAh (14.4V / 74.88Wh) lithium ion battery that is good for up to two and half hours of continuous cleaning, after which it will automatically return to its base for recharging. This is impressive, compared to almost any other robotic vacuum cleaner out there. 150 minute of autonomy can only be seen in some iLife products (such as the V5 PRO or the V7S). Of course, this is probably measured with the robot working in the Standard mode. This equates to around 2700 sq ft (250 sq m) of floor space covered on a single battery charge, covering the needs of almost all small and medium sized homes. Bigger homes can also use this gizmo, because after it recharges, it will remember its last location and return to that exact point to continue its cleaning cycle, rather than start again and potentially neglect certain areas.

70?

408 I see it priced at

It's 430 buying from EU warehouse.

It's 430 buying from EU warehouse.

The Gen 1 is 235...

• Advertisement

The Gen 1 is 235...

Where did you see it at that price? Coming from China?

Advertisement