Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leuven Belgium

• 14-04-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I'm moving to Leuven in September to start a Masters in Ed,
    just wondering if anyone has any suggestions / hints / tips about what to expect/ do over there...

Gura maith agat,

Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Spent a year there on Erasmus but did masters courses while there so have a decent idea of the place. I was in the Law faculty but I can give an overview.

Great university, if you've ever seen In Bruges it's that kind of architecture. Each faculty is basically a self-contained little campus with their own bars, resteraunts and library. Leuven itself is class, you get a free bus pass as a student but I never used it; everything is in walking distance and it's a lot cheaper than Ireland. Stella Artois is brewed in Leuven so you can get a glass of it for €1 in one of the student-run bars.
    The Flemish are really nice people although try and get accomodation in an international/Erasmus house. Flemish students are notorious for going home at weekends so during international orientation, the university advises against living with them :P
    Belgians love their beer, chips and chocolate so if you like these, you'll get on great. The university runs resteraunts that offer heavy discounts if you've a student card although there are are some excellent/cheap resteraunts around town as well (especially if you like Thai food)
    If you're ever invited to a Flemish person's house/dinner party, make sure to bring a gift (wine, chocolate etc) as it's a big custom over there.

The university system can be a bit strange to someone from here, a lot of the exams are oral so you go in and have a chat with the lecturer. It means you need to be able to think on your feet and have a good overview of the course but as an Anglophone you'll be fine. It's a lot more hands off than Irish universities: you don't have tutorials or much contact with the lecturers (in the courses I did anyway)
    The faculty and students all have excellent English so you're very unlikely to have many problems in that regard.

Any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 abbey

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just wondering about the situation with accommodation.

Did you find it difficult to find a place? How did you meet up with other international students to find a house? I think I'm going to go over for a look around in August to get the lie of the land.

Anything in particular that you would recommend sorting out in advance/ stuff to bring?

How did you get on with the flemish language, I assume all the students will have good English but about when you were going to the supermarket etc.?

Did you make an effort to learn the language?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

abbey wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just wondering about the situation with accommodation.

Did you find it difficult to find a place? How did you meet up with other international students to find a house? I think I'm going to go over for a look around in August to get the lie of the land.
    I went over in August and found housing through the university housing office. It was very easy to find a place and it's cheaper than here.
    If you're religious then there's a lot of Catholic houses to stay in with students (very cheap and lovely accomodation), a few of my friends pretended to be religious to get into them :P
    Otherwise, just trawl through the housing databases to find something.
    Anything in particular that you would recommend sorting out in advance/ stuff to bring?
    Not really, it's all fairly straightforward.
    One piece of advice: buy a fan when you arrive. You can get one for around €15. Leuven is very hot in the summer and studying for summer exams is almost impossible without one.
    How did you get on with the flemish language, I assume all the students will have good English but about when you were going to the supermarket etc.?

Did you make an effort to learn the language?

Thanks.
    The university offers free Flemish lessons to foreign students. I went to a few but they didn't really suit me. Everyone speaks English and picking up the basic Flemish for supermarkets and bars is very easy. Anything more difficult, Flemish people would usually recognise from my accent that I was Anglophone and I never had any trouble getting myself understood. However, a few of the older Flemish people didn't speak English but they usually had French so I survived. If you can speak English and French you'll be golden.
    I got a job in a bar with very basic Flemish, manager didn't care as he knew the customers can speak English anyway.

Thanks for that. I think will follow your lead and head over mid-August to find a place to live.

Better start brushing up on the French then.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seeing as I'm from Belgium, why not ;)

Leuven is a typical student city, apart from probably the foreign students everyone goes home during the weekends.

In the week however it's packed, it's a very nice city, not too big but lots of stuff to do.

It's about 30km from Brussels, train connection is quite good so there's plenty of opportunities for a day out in the weekend.

The Old Market in the city centre has the nickname of 'The longest bar in the world', as it's basically one pub right next to the other.

If you're one for museums or culture in general you'll love it too.
    It has some of the oldest works of art in the country, displayed in some of the oldest buildings as well (Cathedral, churches, castles,...).

It has a summer festival called Martkrock, which boasts quite a few big names over the years
    You might pop over there when you're visiting in August (Like you mentioned), it's free entrance.

If sport's your thing, Leuven's football team got promoted last season to the top division in Belgium ;)

All in all Leuven is a very nice city, people are friendly (As they always are in Belgium :D), food and drink's great,...

I'm sure you'll love it.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for the info, looking forward to studying the Belgium beer and chocolate amongst other things.

I was thinking of arriving in Leuven on the 29th / 30th of August to spend 3/4 days looking for a place to live. Am I arriving early enough to find a place? What do you think?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Gura maith agaibh.

I'd suggest giving the university a call first, to be sure.
    I believe that would be stretching it by the way.

Your right, they are suggesting going over now, can't so leaving it till the start of August.....

In that case, the best bet would be contact the landlords directly (If someone can provide you with some of their details) and explain the situation, maybe one of them can keep a room clear for when you arrive.

Otherwise I'm afraid you're gonna have to look very hard to find something that is not a complete dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 podgedurka

Any one having any luck it's looking like a lost cause trying To find stuff online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm off to Leuven to do the Master in Stats.
    Are people looking forward to it?
    Will be first time living abroad.

On the accommodation side; I've not looked. Will hopefully wing it when I get there, maybe stay in a hostel for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marsbar91

Hi,

I am heading to KU Leuven in September for an Economics Masters.

Just wondering if any one has any advice on where to look for accommodation? i.e. where do international students normally stay, where are the best houses?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm envious of you. Don't worry about where to stay, just go early and find somewhere inside 'The Ring' (the ring-road around the city). Once inside, the closer to the city center the better but it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

dyl10 wrote: »
    I'm off to Leuven to do the Master in Stats.
    Are people looking forward to it?
    Will be first time living abroad.

On the accommodation side; I've not looked. Will hopefully wing it when I get there, maybe stay in a hostel for a bit.

I'm looking at doing the same masters I think. Did you manage to do it in a year? Just wondering did any of ye have to get health insurance over there or was the European Health Insurance Card fine as I've seen it mentioned on the KU Leuven website that you need health insurance? Thanks.

Advertisement