Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying in the USA?

• 11-04-2009 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Is there any grants/cheap way of doing it? (under or post grad) Or do you have to be made of money?
    Know anyone that did it?
    Is it hard to get accepted to transfer over there for a year or whatever?
    Any info. anyone has on this would be appreciated.
    im clueless:confused:
    cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A lot of universities have exchane programmes with the USA (NUIG and Aberdeen both do for example)

Studying yourself over there is extremely expensive though. I was looking up post-grads and they cost around $45k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bnsutton

wow....that's expensive. which schools did you look at? for me to go to UCC for a bit only costs just over $3,000 (though they say i need to pay for airfare/food/etc, so it'd be more around $5,000-ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

A lot of universities have exchane programmes with the USA (NUIG and Aberdeen both do for example)

Studying yourself over there is extremely expensive though. I was looking up post-grads and they cost around $45k.

Thats average in the USA. My best friend, who is going to college in the state she was born and resides in, is paying like $38k and considers it "a good deal"...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

skywards wrote: »
    Thats average in the USA. My best friend, who is going to college in the state she was born and resides in, is paying like $38k and considers it "a good deal"...

It must be a private school. I was looking at doing a masters in engineering in UMASS (state school) recently (Typical more expensive than a bachelors) and for out of state it was 10K per year and for international it was 20K. I know my american ex girlfriend paid an extraordinary amount to come to DCU (Circa E12K) for a semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 celtichorangi

Generally studying in the U.S. costs more than in Ireland. But state-run universities are much cheaper than private universities. If you study at a state run university such as University of Michigan or University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), which are very reputable and well-known, you would probably have to pay out-of-state tuition for the first year. But the following year, you may be eligible to pay in-state-tuition, which is much much cheaper than out-of-state.

stainluss wrote: »
    Is there any grants/cheap way of doing it? (under or post grad) Or do you have to be made of money?
    Know anyone that did it?
    Is it hard to get accepted to transfer over there for a year or whatever?
    Any info. anyone has on this would be appreciated.
    im clueless:confused:
    cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Generally studying in the U.S. costs more than in Ireland. But state-run universities are much cheaper than private universities. If you study at a state run university such as University of Michigan or University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), which are very reputable and well-known, you would probably have to pay out-of-state tuition for the first year. But the following year, you may be eligible to pay in-state-tuition, which is much much cheaper than out-of-state.

It's unlikely (s)he would qualify for in-state tuition when (s)he is only in-state for educational purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

pow wow wrote: »
    It's unlikely (s)he would qualify for in-state tuition when (s)he is only in-state for educational purposes.

Oddly enough I think that it is in fact the case that you qualify for reduced tuition - I looked at doing an MBA at UC Berkeley (Haas School of Business), and one of the things they highlighted was that you would pay in-state tuition in the second year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

So I'll be finished my 3 year economics with Finance degree in May 2010, and I'll only be 20 so I kinda want to stay in college for a bit longer, rather than work for the next 45-50 years of my life.

I want to go to a fairly reputable school with a decent economics curriculum and have fairly low fees. I don't have much money to go blowing $40k/year on fees like and I don't want to exit college with a big-arse loan.

My grades are ok, and I'm expecting a first. I also play soccer for my uni, although I wouldn't be the best. So it's a bit crap I reckon looking for scholarships because I don't think I'd be smart enough/ good enough at soccer to get one.

So any ideas where I could go that would fit the above criteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dtanner

One of the best schools for business and finance is SMU. If you aren't particularly religious, you can apply as a Methodist and it greatly will reduce your fees and tuition. Or you may even check with their financial aid department to see what money is available for international students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

But state-run universities are much cheaper than private universities. If you study at a state run university such as University of Michigan or University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)

UCLA is private (not state run), "university of california" i.e UCLA/UCSB/berkeley/riverside are all private "California state university" are all public-state run i.e CSU-long beach, CSU-LA, CSU-fullerton, CSU chico

and genrally state universties are harder to get into if your not from the same state (even though tuition might be lower), but then again im not implying that harvard/stanford are easy to get into cuz they are private :P

im just saying it might be easy to get into UCSB (santa barbra) than CSU chico or something, and genrally community and state colleges are pretty shyte compared to private ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

If you have the grades, many universities do offer merit based international scholarships. Some even offer need base international scholarships. Most universities also provide links to outside funding sources for international students.

There is also the Fulbright Scholarship that is available to many EU nationals, including the Irish. The scholarships varies depending on where your from, if you're an undergrad/postgrad student and other factors as well. I'd say it would be very competitive, but it's there.

Also, if you apply early, you tend to have a better shot at some scholarships, especially school based ones. It also doesn't hurt to submit a couple of applications and hope for scholarships. You might get lucky.

Your other options, which would be much cheaper as you pay only tuition and fees associated with you home university, is to study abroad for a year during a course in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU. Most universities have a variety of programs available.

I might also be able to look at ISEP. I know it's great for American's looking to study outside of the US, but it might have some option for the other way around.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

cerebus wrote: »
    Oddly enough I think that it is in fact the case that you qualify for reduced tuition - I looked at doing an MBA at UC Berkeley (Haas School of Business), and one of the things they highlighted was that you would pay in-state tuition in the second year.

This only works if you have legal resident status, not just as a student. So for example, I am stuck on out-of-state tuition through year 2 (being Irish, on an F-1), and my girlfriend who is American from out-of-state, qualified for in-state tuition in her second year. There was a few hoops for her to establish CA residence (paying CA taxes, various forms, CA automobile registration etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

UCLA is private (not state run), "university of california" i.e UCLA/UCSB/berkeley/riverside are all private "California state university" are all public-state run i.e CSU-long beach, CSU-LA, CSU-fullerton, CSU chico

Just a quick note, University of California (UCLA, UC Berkley, UC Irvine, UCSD etc) are a public school system, rather than private. California has a three-tiered public college system. For in-state undergraduates this roughly breaks down as
    UC: top 1/8th of high school graduates qualify, CS: top 1/3 qualify, community: everyone.

The notable private California schools include Stanford, Caltech and USC.

For research (postgraduate), the good universities are vastly more competitive, with international students lining up to get in. However, most PhD students, for instance, are fully funded.

and genrally state universties are harder to get into if your not from the same state (even though tuition might be lower), but then again im not implying that harvard/stanford are easy to get into cuz they are private :P

im just saying it might be easy to get into UCSB (santa barbra) than CSU chico or something, and genrally community and state colleges are pretty shyte compared to private ones.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the UC system is a public university system.

"The University of California was chartered in 1868 and its flagship campus — envisioned as a "City of Learning" — was established at Berkeley, on San Francisco Bay. Today the world's premier public university and a wellspring of innovation, UC Berkeley occupies a 1,232 acre campus with a sylvan 178-acre central core. From this home its academic community makes key contributions to the economic and social well-being of the Bay Area, California, and the nation. "
    http://www.berkeley.edu/about/fact.shtml

As for difficulty of getting in, the UC systems is the most difficult system to get into if you are out-of-state, but it's not impossible. They are also one of the few state run systems that focuses on providing higher education to state residence. This is why it's so difficult to get in if you aren't from California. They use a points systems which requires more points for those who are out-of-state. However, if you can get into the top private universities, then you could've got accepted by a UC system university. The IVY league schools and the branch just below them, like Stanford and Duke, are typically more difficult to get into than the UC system.

Also, the UC systems is usually more difficult than the CalState system, especially for out-of-state students. I don't believe they use the same points base system that UC does. If they do, then it's changed, which is possible.

I'm from the US, lived in California and am very familiar with both university systems. I've seen many people get into the CalState system and not the UC system as out-of-staters and these students would've graduated with a GPA of 3.2-3.6. These are usually good enough; however, you need excellent marks on your SATs and sometimes you SATIIs. However, going to a 2-year college in California sometimes helps as they have transfer agreements with the UC system and applicants are reviewed on their 2 years of college work.

kabuk1 wrote: »
    I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the UC system is a public university system.

"The University of California was chartered in 1868 and its flagship campus — envisioned as a "City of Learning" — was established at Berkeley, on San Francisco Bay. Today the world's premier public university and a wellspring of innovation, UC Berkeley occupies a 1,232 acre campus with a sylvan 178-acre central core. From this home its academic community makes key contributions to the economic and social well-being of the Bay Area, California, and the nation. "
    http://www.berkeley.edu/about/fact.shtml

As for difficulty of getting in, the UC systems is the most difficult system to get into if you are out-of-state, but it's not impossible. They are also one of the few state run systems that focuses on providing higher education to state residence. This is why it's so difficult to get in if you aren't from California. They use a points systems which requires more points for those who are out-of-state. However, if you can get into the top private universities, then you could've got accepted by a UC system university. The IVY league schools and the branch just below them, like Stanford and Duke, are typically more difficult to get into than the UC system.

Also, the UC systems is usually more difficult than the CalState system, especially for out-of-state students. I don't believe they use the same points base system that UC does. If they do, then it's changed, which is possible.

I'm from the US, lived in California and am very familiar with both university systems. I've seen many people get into the CalState system and not the UC system as out-of-staters and these students would've graduated with a GPA of 3.2-3.6. These are usually good enough; however, you need excellent marks on your SATs and sometimes you SATIIs. However, going to a 2-year college in California sometimes helps as they have transfer agreements with the UC system and applicants are reviewed on their 2 years of college work.

so whats the difference between lets say

csu riverside or csu fullerton

and UCLA or UCSB

i always thought that CSU's were state run, and UC's were all private run (well state subsidised but not actully state run)

There are variety of differences. For one, the UC system is a more intensive research based system than the CSU system. CSU has a more undergraduate focus, though they do offer graduate courses, while UC has a premier graduate system which is emphasised by all it's research centres.

Here is a bit of info from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_University#Differences_between_the_CSU_and_UC_systems

It can get confusing with all the different colleges and universities in the US, especially when you consider the amount of them. The majority of States have more universities within the state than Ireland, and other countries have in total. It's more obvious in California and some other schools as they have a system where the names stick. While in other states, like PA, the state schools aren't all Penn State xxxxxx campus or the University of Pitt xxxx campus, they have a long list of different names that aren't related at all, while Univ. of Penn is Ivy League and private.

It all gets very confusing. Usually your best bet is to look at tuition. If there are different rates listed for in-state and out-of-state tuition, then you can pretty much guarantee it's a state school as private schools don't differentiate between the two.

kabuk1 wrote: »
    There are variety of differences. For one, the UC system is a more intensive research based system than the CSU system. CSU has a more undergraduate focus, though they do offer graduate courses, while UC has a premier graduate system which is emphasised by all it's research centres.

Here is a bit of info from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_University#Differences_between_the_CSU_and_UC_systems

It can get confusing with all the different colleges and universities in the US, especially when you consider the amount of them. The majority of States have more universities within the state Ireland, and other countries have in total. It's more obvious in California and some other schools as they have a system where the names stick. While in other states, like PA, the state schools are all Penn State xxxxxx campus or the University of Pitt xxxx campus, they have a long list of different names that aren't related at all, while Univ. of Penn is Ivy League and private.

It all gets very confusing. Usually your best bet is to look at tuition. If there are different rates listed for in-state and out-of-state tuition, then you and pretty much guarantee it's a state school as private schools don't differentiate between the two.

ah thanks for clearing it up, i always thought the difference was like the one we have here between NUI (like UCC) and a institute of technology (like CIT), but i get it now

It would be nice if it were that simple in the States. However, nothing ever is.

Advertisement