Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A damp dark windy morning here in Castlebar and its not going to change much for the day.

I have a feeling there will not be much of a change for another week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 20mm of rain now in Castlebar, the Atlantic is starting to make up for the less than average rainfall we received in November.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Xenji wrote: »
    I have a feeling there will not be much of a change for another week at least.

Another month I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

dark clouds all day in cork city and windy aswell. Been dry though, some spots of rain but still dry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Xenji wrote: »
    Over 20mm of rain now in Castlebar, the Atlantic is starting to make up for the less than average rainfall we received in November.

Jesus I thought November would have been one of the wettest months of the year. Mad how we perceive weather compared to the stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A dirty day alright in Mayo. Sheets of driving rain and mist throughout the day. Wind also up a few more notches this evening. Afternoon caved in very quickly to darkness.
    11c.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

Loughc wrote: »
    Another month I reckon.
    Yes here's to most hoping your Wrong:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Another month I reckon.

unsettled or very unsettled conditions look locked in for the next 2 to possibly 3 weeks. Temperatures will alternate between mild, cool and cold between low pressure systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Gonzo wrote: »
    unsettled or very unsettled conditions look locked in for the next 2 to possibly 3 weeks. Temperatures will alternate between mild, cool and cold between low pressure systems.

What would be considered standard winter weather to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Gonzo wrote: »

The models were wrong about cold in the timeframe so why are they right now just because it's showing unsettled?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Logan Roy wrote: »
    The models were wrong about cold in the timeframe so why are they right now just because it's showing unsettled?

Probably because it's the norm/more usual weather!

Because the weather showing for the next few weeks is Westerly based.
    This is the norm and with the charts showing that you could safely bet your house on it been right.
    The cold that was been predicted was always in doubt in my eyes it was too far out in fi , people we're talking about trends but in my opinion you would need to see the charts predict that cold for at least a week solid for it to even be a trend in my eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cross model agreement on an unsettled outlook in the short to medium term.
    This is the sort of weather we get nearly every winter.

There will be mild days but there will also be cool or cold days. It won't be anywhere as mild as last December where 11 to 14C was common throughout the month.

Plenty of wind and rain over the next few weeks, but also some wintryness at times during the cool intervals. Many of us could see snow flakes over the next 2 weeks but probably very little if any lying snow away from high ground.

No sign of any Northern Blocking, positive AO+NAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

US2 wrote: »
    Jesus I thought November would have been one of the wettest months of the year. Mad how we perceive weather compared to the stats

It depends were you live. We had one of our Wettest Nov ever on record at over 170mm at Dublin airport. It was 230% more than average!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Carol25 wrote: »
    So far I’m actually happy with how this winter is playing out in the west. Lots of cold frosty days, clear skies. Some deluges for a few days but then back to cold and frosty again. This pic is from Sunday looking at Christmas trees 🎄.

I see nature has a way of making this post null and void in a short space of time, oh well! Wet, dark and blustery today in Co. Galway and looking at the forecasts more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Been awake 14 hours and it's been just drizzle the entire day in Galway. No let up whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

13c at 10pm in Arklow, do we need to rename this thread,summers back

Mortelaro wrote: »

Greta will be happy no need for fires tonight so

Mortelaro wrote: »

I found today felt really cold, mostly because of the wind and drizzle. It does feel a bit milder now compared to earlier on in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Prolonged heavy showers here this morning. Miserable. Central Mayo. 8c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Very nice day in Galway today, the calm before the storm perhaps. Dry, reasonably bright and no rain as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wind really starting to pick up here in North County Dublin. It's been a while since we had stormy night here I actually asked my husband what noise was at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was a horrible day here, was at the meath game in navan and it felt baltic, straight home and lit the fire, currently bucketing down and very breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather warning likely to be issued now for tonight and into tomorrow

Tuesday will be a blustery day with strong winds and very gusty conditions associated with an active front moving eastwards across the country. Generally, winds will be below warning thresholds but damage to some structures and trees, already weakened from the effects of Storm Atiyah, is possible.

Rain and showers will be heavy at times as well, especially in Atlantic coastal counties.

Valid: Tuesday 10 December 2019 04:00 to Tuesday 10 December 2019 16:00

Issued: Monday 09 December 2019 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So enjoying the idyllic calm and sunshine today. Disarmingly lovely out here!

West Mayo offshore .

pad199207 wrote: »
    Weather warning likely to be issued now for tonight and into tomorrow

Tuesday will be a blustery day with strong winds and very gusty conditions associated with an active front moving eastwards across the country. Generally, winds will be below warning thresholds but damage to some structures and trees, already weakened from the effects of Storm Atiyah, is possible.

Rain and showers will be heavy at times as well, especially in Atlantic coastal counties.

Valid: Tuesday 10 December 2019 04:00 to Tuesday 10 December 2019 16:00

Issued: Monday 09 December 2019 11:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Thursday night/Friday morning also does not look great.

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hearing the first tentative sighs of wind... Caught some sleep earlier in preparation.

What would we do without some warning. ... lol

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely break from the rubbish weather today with plenty of sunshine in Dublin. Pic during afterglow at Killiney Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Is it just me or has 2019 had the most depressing miserable weather for years? I don't remember anything like it. I'm old enough to remember 1985 and 1986 and they didn't seem to be this bad for so long. At least the bad weather didn't seem to drag on forever with no let up in sight save for an hour here and there. The ground is so wet, it's so dull. I thought we might get some respite with December, some crisp frosty but sunny days. No such luck, it's more grey skies, rain and wind. A horrible year for farmers and anyone who works outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

press.png

The definition of a "ridge"

Advertisement