Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mother in law

Options
  • 21-10-2015 3:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So following on from my good fortune in getting hold of my great-grandmother's medical file, I was intrigued to find "mother in law" listed on the people who could visit.

Trouble is, her mother in law had been dead for 27 years. Her father in law dead even longer, so he couldn't have a second wife.

All the people visiting are family members, and given the sensitive nature of someone with mental health issues in the 1930s, I can't imagine they're lying to sneak in some friend...

Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hoopla87

maybe she had been on the list since before she passed? i was in hospital last week and discovered i still lived at my parents and my mum is my next of kin (since my last hospital visit 15+years ago) i cant imagine its uncommon for these things to be overlooked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I considered that but she died in 1912 and her daughter-in-law only went into Grangegorman in 1939.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hoopla87

oh god, ok yeah thats pretty strange, no idea why she'd be there so, i dont imagine there would be any benefit to having her name on the list except as you say to sneak someone in which seems implausible but may be the case. sorry im of absolutely no help here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Showed it to another person, who suggested it should say daughter in law.
    As in the list goes:

son
    son
    son
    son
    Mrs surname (mother in law)
    sister
    sister

But the eldest son was writing the list, and he was married, so I think it's a good conclusion that he thought "my wife, yes, her mother in law).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement