Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unable to locate some marriage records.

Options
  • 09-10-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Can anyone find the the following civil marriages:
    Feb 1884 Michael Gleeson & Bridget Ryan, married in Ballynahinch, Co Tipperary (per Roots)
    c1883 John Gleeson of Cappamore, Co. Limerick & Margaret Gleeson (? address) - 1st child born 1885

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

this is the best possibility I've seen for Michael & Bridget -

Name: Michael Gleeson
    Quarter/ Year : Jan-Feb-Mar, 1884
    Registration district: Nenagh
    Volume: 3 / Page : 468

a Bridget Ryan is one of the cross-matches

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Great, Shane.

I missed that one.

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Hi Montgo,

Have you seen this index entry for your second marriage:

John Gleeson and Margaret Boyle, Group Registration ID: 2266917, Year: 1884, Quarter: 1, Volume: 5, Page: 409. And the exact date of their marriage is 23 February 1884.

Alan259 wrote: »
    Hi Montgo,

Have you seen this index entry for your second marriage:

John Gleeson and Margaret Boyle, Group Registration ID: 2266917, Year: 1884, Quarter: 1, Volume: 5, Page: 409. And the exact date of their marriage is 23 February 1884.

Unfortunately, not the same couple. This couple lived in Newport. All the baptism records of my couple show Margaret Gleeson as mother.
    Thx

Have you found them on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, Montgo?

I think I might have found them. They are living in the townland of Carrowkeale in Co. Tipperary but John is down as being born in Co. Tipperary and Margaret is down as being born in Co. Limerick. I'v done searches for all the registration districts in Co. Limerick as it was tradition to marry in the bride's parish but I havn't found anything.

But this family I found might actually be the one for the index reference I gave you earlier.

Hope this helps in eliminating some possibilities.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for searching. Yes, I have them on the 1901 Census and both were born in Co. Limerick. Unfortunately, their townland was not included on the 1911 Census. I have emailed NAI but never had a reply.

Yes that is John & Mgt (Boyle) of Carrowkeel/Newport.

I now have the ref # for the other marriage record so I might be able to get all the details from that. Tks.

I emailed the National Archives regarding missing census material online and they gave me the following response:

'The vast majority of surviving census material has been digitised and is available online. The ability to rectify the remaining gaps is dependent on further funding becoming available. This is unlikely at the present time. I am therefore not in a position again to give you any definitive date. Where material has not been digitised, a microfilm copy is available in the Reading Room of the National Archives.'

I got this reply back in an email on September 8th, it takes about a week and a half for them to answer emails. They're very helpful. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The NAI are massively underfunded and understaffed. They also would get a huge volume of email each week. I'm not surprised at the time lag. At least there is an option to come and see the records on microfilm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement