Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silly snow question

Options
  • 19-01-2012 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys!

i'll be visiting dublin late feb and coming from a tropical country, i'm really hoping to see snow, but it seems that it has been a rather warm winter, according to friends who live in europe. in the sad and rather likely scenario that i won't be able to experience it, is there say, any places with guaranteed snow (such as mountainous areas) that's easy to get to from dublin?

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Algeria :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

notlocal wrote: »
    , is there say, any places with guaranteed snow (such as mountainous areas) that's easy to get to from dublin?

thank you!

No, not guaranteed, if its cold enough get into the wicklow mountains find a north facing slope you may find some there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No such thing as a silly snow question around here. :D

Looking at things from a 'tropical' point of view OP you deliberately picked the country furthest north in the entire Northern Hemisphere where snow is rare and lying snow rarer again. Our mountains are too low...unlike say Kilimanjaro on the Equator where snow will both fall and settle or the mountains above the Costa Del Sol in Spain which are covered in snow for most of the year.

Having said that, you will normally need to get your hands on a car to go snow hunting. If you can and there is indeed some snow the more reliable spots are just south of Dublin in the Wickow mountains or else in the north west in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

notlocal wrote: »
    Hi guys!

i'll be visiting dublin late feb and coming from a tropical country, i'm really hoping to see snow, but it seems that it has been a rather warm winter, according to friends who live in europe. in the sad and rather likely scenario that i won't be able to experience it, is there say, any places with guaranteed snow (such as mountainous areas) that's easy to get to from dublin?

thank you!

If there's even one decent snowfall coming soon, high or low ground, don't worry as it it will be well covered on this forum and directions to it will be well communicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I think the nearest thing to snow you will see in Ireland is lovely snow drops in the fields around the Wicklow mountains. We will keep our fingers crossed you will see some of the white stuff for when you visit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement