Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather-related videos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Stodvafjordur, eastern Iceland on the 6th Nov this year. Keep your eye on the ship container on the right hand side of the video:

http://vimeo.com/31675022

Looks like it may be a developing waterspout or something. Surface charts do have have an active frontal wave passing over the region around noon that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I hear she got engaged afterward

Video uploaded by EUMETSAT today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey everyone, didnt know exactly where to post this but with my faster broadband and bigger youtube allowance now and for a Christmas prezzie to all the people in the weather boards , i went along and re-edited my footage and made it just under the max hour.

Got a fright at the start when the sound wasnt working for the intro credits.
    But ye it comes on from the first scene in.

It takes long enough to load though because of the length of the video itself.
    So ye, even watch it in parts and let me know what yous think :)

Features : Lightnings ! , Gustnadoes! , HAIL AND MORE HAIL! ... A shockingly close lightning bolt! .... and of course.... 3 tornadoes!
    :)

ENJOY!
    Play this for the start ;)

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to the man who fell on ice on RTE

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the man who fell on ice on RTE

QUALITY! :D

The Italian volcano Mount Etna has erupted, sending plumes of orange lava into the air and blowing ashes as high as 5,000 meters.
    The spectacular eruption of Etna, which is considered to be the most active of Europe’s volcanoes, lasted several hours and was the first of 2012.

http://rt.com/news/volcano-etna-eruption-259/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Getting down to basement is an urban myth..pray instead!

Earthquake report has a time lapse video of todays eruption at Etna

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/12/31/worldwide-volcano-news/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Pretty good video showing the change in wind direction through the day. Nothing too spectacular with regards to being hit by any of the downpours but still a good one, all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYts4xHx12g

As they become available, I will post up the links to videos taken at home of todays storms. The first is looking out the back bedroom window as the shelf cloud from the BIG storm passes over. Also includes a bit of timelapse plus a few flashes of forked lightning. More to follow

Here's the full day timelapse with the BIG storm becoming evident after about 19:00. I slow down the video a little as it nears and passes and there is a close up of the very obvious rotation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

These people were mighty lucky. Lightning strikes the rocks just behind the man at around 0:23. If you look closely, around a second before the main strike you can just make out a stepped leader on the rocks just to the right.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2d8_1339324634

Timelapse of funnel forming and then a brief tornado touchdown just after the 2:20 mark. The video ends with a fairly impressive rotating rope funnel......impressive by Irish standards at least! Location was the north Kildare/Meath border yesterday around 20:00. Best viewed in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZtuwt0YlY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

nice one. pity about the name plastered on it though.

As requested by some people, I've made another version of the video, this time without a watermark. I've also tweaked around a small bit with the picture to try provide a bit more contrast so that the funnel is a bit more pronounced. Feel free to spread it around. As per usual, best viewed in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Great capture Graham, one of the best storm videos I've seen from this country!

From the opening scenes of the dude stumbled out of a pub into a flood determined to get home .....to the techno viking' on a surf lifeboat...
    Belfast Flooding - 27th June 2012

• Advertisement

A short timelapse from the 4th August. I was in a dry clear section and all the action was a few kilometres away. Made for great video though. However, I had the aperature on the video camera set to manual so things get a little bit washed out so the detail is lost. Still quite good though. The explosive action happens just after the 0:30 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

These are two videos I took on my phone last night in Phoenix Arizona. Nice constant lightening for a good few hours. I had a third video but it crapped out on me. There was some lightening that didn't even show up on the video as it was too faint and there were some flashes so bright it overwhelmed the camera sensor. Anyway hope ye enjoy!

Todays convection:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

spot flodding in Macroom on Friday 24th August 2012

I made a brief flight around Meath and Westmeath today as strong convection was beginning to build. Soon after I landed it formed a potent squall line through north Leinster.

Watch in fullscreen HD.

great video Su.!

SIlly question, but do you ever get even a bit scared flying when the weather is like that?

Yesterday was ok when I was flying as the showers were well scattered but soon after I landed that line of showers closed up and it would have been lethal flying through it to get back. The radar was quiet before taking off but I knew there would be heavy ones forming and was watching the situation carefully as I was up there and ensured my route back was clear. The thing that keeps you calm is knowing that you're erring on the side of caution and are always assessing the situation, having an escape route. If it were half an hour later I wouldn't have taken off as I knew I wouldn't have much time. And if it were a cross country trip to say Sligo I certainly would have postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Having at long last experienced a thunderstorm today I've been watching a few related videos and just came across this crazy video of a microburst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLzbJ5XQEQ8&feature=endscreen

From this

42951102.png

to this in 30 seconds!!

87581363.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

A bit wet in West Limerick this morning. Amount of water on the roads not really making sense given the dry few days we've had recently... :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/PuLas4ClSQs

• Advertisement

Is it just me or do others love that sound of the rain hitting near the mic? :)

Advertisement