Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,543 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I bet you hope they start the money printing presses double quick over there too like we did here with the free money for all (and nobody will have to pay for it). Will be very good for the value of crypto :p

I'm planning a trip to the USA already, this is how I will travel back :p

8d7eaa94452ea553d9c018e23c35608b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    I bet you hope they start the money printing presses double quick over there too like we did here with the free money for all (and nobody will have to pay for it). Will be very good for the value of crypto :p

Crypto has already seen a nice uptick on it really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

In other news, Tritium

IMG-20200804-235141.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm planning a trip to the USA already, this is how I will travel back :p

No offence, but are you getting plastic surgery as well:D?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    No offence, but are you getting plastic surgery as well:D?

No, the guy is not half as handsome as I am but I grant you he has far fewer grey hairs :pac:

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s lovely but I give it a month

Tops :D

Here we are two months later and I still have it :D

I am developing a massive horn for the 116622 though

14465165-61ijmm90rxdoh2ol7omcu7gl-Zoom.jpg

My main watch just has to be blue. I've tried and failed with black faced watches or ones that are supposed to be blue, but mainly black in most circumstances. Even the Marine Master professional might be up for the chop now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The Great Patriotic Watch.

522148.JPG

hitemfrank wrote: »
    In other news, Tritium

Lovely glow!

The Ball hydrocarbon aeroGMT has really caught my eye over the last few weeks.
    I am wavering between a Tudor BlackBay and that at the moment as my next "big" purchase.

Blackbays are really lovely on the wrist, but the one I want is the Harrods.
    I'm not able to convince myself it's worth the premium over the normal models and keep going back and forth on it.

The Ball GMT just everytime I see it, it makes go mmmm....
    If and when they start hitting the second hand market I might take a serious look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

banie01 wrote: »
    Lovely glow!

The Ball hydrocarbon aeroGMT has really caught my eye over the last few weeks.
    I am wavering between a Tudor BlackBay and that at the moment as my next "big" purchase.

Blackbays are really lovely on the wrist, but the one I want is the Harrods.
    I'm not able to convince myself it's worth the premium over the normal models and keep going back and forth on it.

The Ball GMT just everytime I see it, it makes go mmmm....
    If and when they start hitting the second hand market I might take a serious look.

It's a pain in the hoop to get my phone camera to show it well. It either makes the entire picture too dark, or too bright to be able to see the glow.

I saw a picture of the Marine GMT a few days ago and I spent a while looking at it. Convinced myself I don't need it and it would be too big for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Great Patriotic Watch.

522148.JPG
    Fantastic book.

Nice watch too.

Frank's recent lume shot reboot has inspired me to snap a pic of this.
    My Bund glowing softly :)
    IMG-20200805-231357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I too have been playing around with lume shots recently on my phone. I think to get a proper, stabilised shot I'd need to set up my camera on a tripod, but still impressed with the light capture from my phone's camera.

Seamaster Pro and Globemaster:
    IMG-20200709-202718-2.jpg

The SMP up close:
    IMG-20200721-115343-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was playing golf last week in the blazing Middle Eastern sun and the lume on my SMP was super bright that night from all of the exposure to sun. It's pretty cool! Just shows how bright they are when they reflect on the edges like above.

Arrived this morning out of the blue in a green an Post van. Vendor's customs declaration was somewhat 'economical with the truth' so looks like I won't have to pay anything extra.

522254.JPG

This, as far as I can tell, is exactly the same as the panda version HKED has showning on his website. It's branded Red Star and comes in cardboard RS presentation box with a Chinese instruction manual and a nice chamois-type cloth. €167 from Aliexpress (18 days to arrive).

522255.JPG

The strap (branded clasp) is a bit crappy so will probably be due for an early replacement.

First impressions are very good and the crown is slightly bigger than my standard Seagull 1963 which is great as the only minor gripe I had with it was that the crown was too small for a hand-winder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I sent mine back as the seller was too difficult to deal with, they kept insisting I shouldn't be inspecting the watch with a loupe and all was grand. I'm not sure if it was or wasn't but the fact that we couldn't work something out made the decision for me, fecking shame.

dudeeile wrote: »
    I sent mine back as the seller was too difficult to deal with, they kept insisting I shouldn't be inspecting the watch with a loupe and all was grand. I'm not sure if it was or wasn't but the fact that we couldn't work something out made the decision for me, fecking shame.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it's a fact that when it comes to after sales service you get what you pay for. Admittedly, I took a risk buying this one but so far so good.
    If you're still interested in getting the standard version I'd recommend you pay the extra and buy from one of the European sellers, Poljot24, Watchunique (where mine originated) or Seagull1963.org.
    It's a great watch IMO and despite this version being allegedly closer to the original dial, I still prefer the dial on the standard version with red star logo, blue hour/minutes and red chrono hand.

Here's the two versions on my wrist for comparison.

522277.JPG

Apart from the obvious differences the project 304 version (L) has a gold-coloured chapter ring, a goose-neck regulator, and a bigger display glass. Both have acrylic domed crystals.
    With my failing eyesight (:() I can notice that the blue hands on the Seagull 1963 makes reading the time slightly easier and generally I prefer the dial aesthetic on it.

The blue hands and the overall thoroughly commie aesthetic of the right hand watch are lovely.
    But...
    I do love the sub-dials on the left.

Apart from the obvious differences

The one on the right has 21 Zuan. According to a certain contributor to this forum, that makes it a better watch than the other one with just 19 Zuan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bright lights, big city

522298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

dudeeile wrote: »

What was wrong under a loupe?

And what did you want the seller to do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Here we are two months later and I still have it :D

I am developing a massive horn for the 116622 though

My main watch just has to be blue. I've tried and failed with black faced watches or ones that are supposed to be blue, but mainly black in most circumstances. Even the Marine Master professional might be up for the chop now :(

i had a 116622 and while its lovely its very shiney, wasnt a keeper for me,

be aware as well, the platinum bezels cant really be refinished so if you damage it, you need a new one, and its pricey.

893bet wrote: »
    Mostly ALS, jaeger ultra thin. Curious as to how much negotiation room they have especially in non “hot” pieces.

Reluctant to deal with the one of the london greys in my head for some reason. Guardian of time have a good ALS selection available new!

Realistically could prob get the watch I want new from them for the second hand price from WF. Won’t be buying till next year either way.

might have asked before, have you tried an ultra thin yet?

i thought id like them but then didnt when i wore one for a bit, it was too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

i thought id like them but then didnt when i wore one for a bit, it was too thin.

Have to agree, while they’re impressive technically when I tried one it felt alien, more like wearing a bracelet than a watch. I imagine you’d get used to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Tried on a few in AD in UK.

The white dialled SS ultra thin moon and the grey faced white gold version.

White gold version is a class above in looks (and €€). I liked them both on the wrist but liking them for 5 minutes in the shop is different to an hour, a day, a week on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

893bet wrote: »
    What was wrong under a loupe?

And what did you want the seller to do about it?

To me it seemed like there was a fracture running from one of the teeth on a wheel, I noticed this with bare vision, looking at it using a loupe was inconclusive, I could see a jagged line but was it a crack? I had brought my concern to the seller and was basically told that I should not be using a loupe to inspect the watch and all was fine.

Now honestly, I'm not sure if there was damage or not but there did seem to be. I expected the seller to offer to send me a replacement and I return the original to them, let them inspect it and if all is fine, they can re-sell it, if not then I was correct.

Now I'm returning the watch for a full refund, I won't be buying from them again.

i had a 116622 and while its lovely its very shiney, wasnt a keeper for me,

be aware as well, the platinum bezels cant really be refinished so if you damage it, you need a new one, and its pricey.

Think it may well have been on this very thread someone posted the price of a bezel as @3k+!!!
    :o

And...
    They keep the old one to eliminate the chance of old parts being added to fake watches.
    Which is understandable, but one would hope that the new bezel cost is at least discounted by the precious metal content of the old one?
    Which makes dinging one! A terrifying proposition!

I can guarantee you that I would not be having any bezel fixed by Rolex for €3k no matter how much damage I do to it :p

In fact, I would be very keen to buy one with a damaged bezel if I could get that at a heavy discount. Would ease my mind considerably in wearing it as a daily and not worrying too much about damaging it - further...

Wish I could try one on, but it really is my style and blue (diver) is my thing. And apart from the bezel and the slighter, more elegant case, the rest of the watch is 95% sub date, which is a fairly boring and common watch imho but obviously an excellent watch all the same. And the last quality blue diver that I had (Omega Seamaster), I kept for 3 years. Can't blame me for selling that and wanting to make the step up to Rolex :)

@Cyrus - did you have the blue one, yeah?

• Advertisement

I can guarantee you that I would not be having any bezel fixed by Rolex for €3k no matter how much damage I do to it :p

In fact, I would be very keen to buy one with a damaged bezel if I could get that at a heavy discount. Would ease my mind considerably in wearing it as a daily and not worrying too much about damaging it - further...

Wish I could try one on, but it really is my style and blue (diver) is my thing. And apart from the bezel and the slighter, more elegant case, the rest of the watch is 95% sub date, which is a fairly boring and common watch imho but obviously an excellent watch all the same. And the last quality blue diver that I had (Omega Seamaster), I kept for 3 years. Can't blame me for selling that and wanting to make the step up to Rolex :)

@Cyrus - did you have the blue one, yeah?

yes had the blue one, its quite a bit different from the sub, polished centre links, no glidelock, different bezel, different case, gives a very different feel imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement