Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurricane Dorian

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for the last two posts. We lost extended family in the big tsunami and those working with them who survived never recovered. This is on my mind with every bad weather news here. Not read this thread for days because of that. All I can do is pray, and that I do.

Again, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sky news showing footage from grand bahama.
    Utter devastation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Causing a lot of bother in Nova Scotia;

https://twitter.com/CBCNS/status/1170430734831706114?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Typhoon Faxia closing in rapidly on Tokyo region:

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/14W/html5-vis-short.html

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Typhoon Faxia closing in rapidly on Tokyo region:

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/14W/html5-vis-short.html

There's a separate hurricane season thread that might be more appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0908/1074615-hurricane-dorian/
    Is 20 metres a misprint for waves in Canada?

Sounds horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

silverharp wrote: »
    almost looks fake, i assume not

Fairly sure that's fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup that's an artist's 'impression'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Spinning clockwise for starters. Elementary mistake. Poor effort at 'fake news'

• Advertisement

100% fake - that's never what the view of a hurricane looks like - you're always enveloped in cloud and rain long before the 'eye' becomes visible. And the eyewall doesn't look like a tornado like that.

We are still without communications or contact with extended faith family in Nova Scotia after Dorian decided to visit. Utter chaos along the east coast of Canada

some sites are attributing last night's gales and deluges to ex-Dorian with ex Gabrielle to repeat... we always get some backlash out here. It was very bad out here last night.

Still no word from family but we think we would have heard any bad news. They get buried in snow every winter.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Josh Morgerman's account of being on Abaco Island during Dorian.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157257013954597&id=52553204596

East coast Canada communications are still erratic; died on me earlier. Still no word from the stranded ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't want to start another thread, but I heard this morning that Ireland's rugby squad is landing at Tokyo today for the WC, and that it had just been battered by a typhoon (Tokyo that is, not the rugby squad).

I didn't see much on this in the news.

Is there more reporting here of severe weather in the US than other parts of the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't want to start another thread, but I heard this morning that Ireland's rugby squad is landing at Tokyo today for the WC, and that it had just been battered by a typhoon (Tokyo that is, not the rugby squad).

Is there more reporting here of severe weather in the US than other parts of the world?

I saw it reported on sky news,bbc news,ITV news and RTE

Buildings in Tokyo are built to withstand earthquakes
    So much easier to be safe versus a shanty town
    I saw one death reported where a woman was blown into a wall

NIMAN wrote: »

It was mentioned in the general Atlantic Hurricane season thread -
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057995753&page=2

I don't think it's anything to do with the USA per se, so much as there's not as much interest on here about Pacific hurricanes/typhoons. Probably because we spend more time looking at the Atlantic in general, and those storms usually have the potential for future effects on Ireland.

Probably also the language barrier in regards to the reporting and media that's created when the storms are ongoing.

If it doesn't feature the US it doesn't feature. The only reason why Dorian got so much media coverage was its projected effects on Florida early on. Had it never been forecast to affect Florida (or Alabama!) you can be sure the Bahamas wouldn't be getting as much coverage. Sad to say it but it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭TTTT

• Advertisement

Thankfully finally heard from our stranded ones in Nova Scotia.

All are safe but their dwellings are destroyed, and now all hands fully busy erecting insulated cabins before their early winter hits as they get deep snow. a race against time...

Graces7 wrote: »
    East coast Canada communications are still erratic; died on me earlier. Still no word from the stranded ones.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thankfully finally heard from our stranded ones in Nova Scotia.

All are safe but their dwellings are destroyed, and now all hands fully busy erecting insulated cabins before their early winter hits as they get deep snow. a race against time...

That's sad to hear

That's sad to hear

after hearing of the casualties elsewhere, we are deeply thankful they are all safe.

Folk out there tend to help each other so they will be protected by the time the snow comes. We have a flag signal system in winter to keep us aware they are safe.

But Dorian really was a monster; reading the report from Josh was hard.

Advertisement