Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First human traffickers convicted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The Italy Vs Turkey game.

Didn't take you long to back down.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When will they move on the nail bars and car washes staffed by exploited non EU citizens? If you don't search for exploitation your figures for exploitation will always be low, our raids on businesses are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Have to laugh at the 'well done the Gardai' posts.

Frankly, about time. The tip of a large and grimy iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I don't agree. The customers may not be aware that the women are unwilling participants. There was a thread in the ask me anything I read recently where a woman stayed that she made a good living as a sex worker and she seems empowered in the current situation which is without regulation how is a customer supposed to differentiate between an unwilling participant and a willing one ?

I suppose the argument for legalising prostitution is a good one in many ways. Its safer for the women involved and cuts out the criminal element to a large extent if its all regulated. It probably falls under a similar banner to legalising drugs. Criminals will still try to get into the game whether it's by undercutting the market or stealing from pharmacies etc and similarly traffickers will still try to get in the game if prostitution is legalised but as a punter you'd probably pay the extra 50 quid or whatever it if meant peace of mind and more quality. A user of weed might be willing to pay more per gram if its coming from a certified place and the quality and amount are guaranteed.The downsides are there but ultimately I think legalising these things is probably the right thing to do in todays society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I don't agree. The customers may not be aware that the women are unwilling participants.

Those poor unfortunate customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What sort of dummies are working in immigration at the airport that can't spot a fake passport.

Seems like any kind of BS story will get non EU nationals residency here.

We are very welcoming here, more strict checks at airports needed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We, Homo Sapiens, the last time I looked, fit the definition of animal and the OP has made no mention of colour so perhaps back up\off

An animal is a living creature such as a dog, lion, or rabbit, rather than a bird, fish, insect, or human being. ... a habitat for plants and animals. 3. countable noun. Any living creature, including a human being, can be referred to as an animal.

What would be interesting is crime rates by original nationality/ethnic minority groupings, ignoring the barrier created by Alan Shatter's mega citizenship drive?

I think that's a disingenuous dissembling of a dissertation there.

Overheal wrote: »
    Are we dehumanizing brown people again today. I know they're criminals, and great they were convicted for such a horrible thing, but animals? Cast an awful light about what you are really looking to stir up with this thread OP.

Somebody posted a link about human traffickers and your first reaction is to play the race card as usual to stop any discussion. And yes human traffickers are animals, just because you think that has some sort of racial connotations says more about the way your mind works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are we dehumanizing brown people again today. I know they're criminals, and great they were convicted for such a horrible thing, but animals? Cast an awful light about what you are really looking to stir up with this thread OP.

These indentured servitude schemes are not new - in Colonial era America it used to be an acceptable legal practice. Should never be allowed to happen again of course, but I hope you're not trying to act as though this type of plot is a Nigerian creation.

No the dehumanising was done by the traffickers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nigeria, Libya, Italy and into Dublin on a forged Irish passport. Not an umcommon itinerary i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Good news, hopefully leads to more convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's an excellent film called doing money, that's a true story about a romanian girl snatched off the street in London n forced into prostitution in Ireland.

Only happened a few years ago and no doubt happening today.
    Iirc one of the pimps got done for it in Sweden and got a year or two. The punishment certainly doesn't reflect the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Drumorig

Oooh a conviction. Why no mention of a sentence?

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Langosta

Filthy scum, hope they rot in prison.

How does the passport system work? Are passports not tied into a central system and recognized by a unique identifiable official number. Surely there is facial recognition software that can be used in conjunction with this to match the user with the database. Doesn't seem like it would be that tricky to prevent the use of false passports?

Didn't take you long to back down.

Good man.

I don't see the point in engaging with the disingenuous. I'll allow you one more snide remark before I block you.

What.Now wrote: »
    I think the 'Left' have a lot to say about Trafficking.

Depends on who's doing the trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

There's more than a few ngo's that are involved in people trafficking. Their salaries could easily be broken down "per person".

Just so happens to be legal for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

the worse animals are the customers who made it a profitable enterprise.
    I disagree , prohibition on something like prostitution is exactly what drives it into the hands of criminals who will traffic and exploit to maximise profit.

Legalise it, strictly control it, monitor it, make health screening mandatory. Whilst that will not create a perfect industry it will improve it over the current status quo.

The government needs to stop thinking of ways of taxing ordinary people , they need to get inventive and take the billions that are currently flowing into the hands of drug dealers and prostitution rings and make it legal enterprise and tax it accordingly. Its going to happen anyway it might as well be pulled out of the shadows and regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭archfi

Drumorig wrote: »
    Oooh a conviction. Why no mention of a sentence?

Sentencing is at a later date according to the news.
    One to keep an eye on.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I disagree , prohibition on something like prostitution is exactly what drives it into the hands of criminals who will traffic and exploit to maximise profit.

Legalise it, strictly control it, monitor it, make health screening mandatory. Whilst that will not create a perfect industry it will improve it over the current status quo.

The government needs to stop thinking of ways of taxing ordinary people , they need to get inventive and take the billions that are currently flowing into the hands of drug dealers and prostitution rings and make it legal enterprise and tax it accordingly. Its going to happen anyway it might as well be pulled out of the shadows and regulated.

I'm pretty sure it's been well established that legalising prostitution has no or a worsening effect on trafficking.

Here's one article. There's plenty more.

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I don't agree. The customers may not be aware that the women are unwilling participants. There was a thread in the ask me anything I read recently where a woman stayed that she made a good living as a sex worker and she seems empowered in the current situation which is without regulation how is a customer supposed to differentiate between an unwilling participant and a willing one ?

A large proportion of prostitutes won't be willingly doing it so or having mental issues/addiction problems etc has lead them down this path.

The empowered prostitute you describe would be very rare.

No one with a conscience can justify using prostitutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'm pretty sure it's been well established that legalising prostitution has no or a worsening effect on trafficking.

Here's one article. There's plenty more.

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/

Interesting, but the case studies seem very limited in that germany seems to be the only useful data, with Sweden and Denmark data not being fully available at the time of writing.

The same article does point out though that there are clear benefits to legalisation , such as a significant improvement in conditions.

Even in the Netherlands where it is regulated you still have the same issues with trafficking, women being forced into it and preyed on by pimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

These indentured servitude schemes are not new - in Colonial era America it used to be an acceptable legal practice. Should never be allowed to happen again of course, but I hope you're not trying to act as though this type of plot is a Nigerian creation.

What an off topic post and complete nonsense.

Surprised it's still here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mimon wrote: »
    A large proportion of prostitutes won't be willingly doing it so or having mental issues/addiction problems etc has lead them down this path.

The empowered prostitute you describe would be very rare.

No one with a conscience can justify using prostitutes.

I would be interested in seeing some unbiased research on that.

If what you are saying is true would seem all the more reason to legalise and regulate the practise. It seems hypocritical, to me, for us to vote for bodily autonomy on one hand in the abortion referendum but deny bodily autonomy to sex workers.

It is not surprising that we see a poorly run industry with bad practises when we leave the running of the industry to the scummiest individuals in the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gatling wrote: »
    Strip them of any rights to stay here and send them back to Nigeria

I think a sentence in the upper end of the range applicable to the offence followed by deportation would be the better deterrent.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing some unbiased research on that.

If what you are saying is true would seem all the more reason to legalise and regulate the practise. It seems hypocritical, to me, for us to vote for bodily autonomy on one hand in the abortion referendum but deny bodily autonomy to sex workers.

It is not surprising that we see a poorly run industry with bad practises when we leave the running of the industry to the scummiest individuals in the society.

I know it is only one example but I knew a Russian prostitute in the Netherlands and she was a serious alcoholic and controlled by her German pimp.

Also knew a couple who would volunteer in a charity that would help prostitutes, they reckoned a lot of them even in a regulated environment in NL would not be doing it willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    ... would seem all the more reason to legalise and regulate the practise.
    Hell no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mimon wrote: »
    I know it is only one example but I knew a Russian prostitute in the Netherlands and she was a serious alcoholic and controlled by her German pimp.

Also knew a couple who would volunteer in a charity that would help prostitutes, they reckoned a lot of them even in a regulated environment in NL would not be doing it willingly.

I have no doubt there are issues within the industry. The issue around coercion and control is a very difficult one to manage for example.

I wonder would a corporate model work where all the sex workers and security be employees of a company with all the rights that an employee has along with supports for the employees. This would remove the coercion element somewhat and would also eliminate the human trafficking element.

I haven't given the above much thought so probably needs a more in depth look but what is clear is that the current way the industry is run is not fit for purpose.

One thing we presumably can agree on is that it is impossible to get rid of the industry (until the sexy robots are invented ;) )

Advertisement