Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Third part extension - broker giving strange interpretation

Options
  • 11-06-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭

The family of a deceased person have asked if I would sell the deceased persons car on their behalf.
    Before doing anything, I checked with my broker if the third party extension on my policy would cover me to drive the car back to my house to sell it, given the owner is not in a position to give me permission. All good on that front once I have the permission of the executors of the estate however, they told me that I can't drive it if there is any other policy on the car.
    The deceased person had it insured with one named driver and that insurance company is ok to keep that policy in place until the expiry date but only covering the one named driver on that policy, the family want to keep this in place in case of fire/theft etc...
    Should I push for clarification from the actual insurer rather than the broker because in every other instance I've seen where there was a condition on the other car being insured, it was that the other car must have a policy on it. The interpretation of the broker is that there must be no other policy as that would make it double insured.
    The specific wording is
    Cover is not provided by any other insurance
    My reading of that is that the 3rd party extension would not be effective if I was a named driver on the other policy or if it was open drive but they're insistent no policy can be in place on the other car, even if it doesn't cover me to drive it.
    Anyone have any experience of this kind of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The family of a deceased person have asked if I would sell the deceased persons car on their behalf.
    Before doing anything, I checked with my broker if the third party extension on my policy would cover me to drive the car back to my house to sell it, given the owner is not in a position to give me permission. All good on that front once I have the permission of the executors of the estate however, they told me that I can't drive it if there is any other policy on the car.
    The deceased person had it insured with one named driver and that insurance company is ok to keep that policy in place until the expiry date but only covering the one named driver on that policy, the family want to keep this in place in case of fire/theft etc...
    Should I push for clarification from the actual insurer rather than the broker because in every other instance I've seen where there was a condition on the other car being insured, it was that the other car must have a policy on it. The interpretation of the broker is that there must be no other policy as that would make it double insured.
    The specific wording is

My reading of that is that the 3rd party extension would not be effective if I was a named driver on the other policy or if it was open drive but they're insistent no policy can be in place on the other car, even if it doesn't cover me to drive it.
    Anyone have any experience of this kind of thing?

Ya get written confirmation from insurer but id be pretty sure broker is talking crap.

Advertisement