Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can summary matters be heard as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 10-06-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Can summary matters be heard as Gaeilge and does the defendant have to give any notice of their intention to be heard in Irish?

In a hypothetical situation, an Irish teacher who speaks English and Irish with equal fluency, living in an area of Ireland in which English is the dominant language is summoned to court for drink driving.

They appear before the court and immediately start addressing the court in Irish when spoken to by the judge.

Is there any consequence to this? Even though the defendant speaks English and Irish fluently, is there any compunction for them to just cooperate and answer in English?

Would it be contempt of court?

Surely not, since constitutionally, Irish and English are of equal value.

What about someone on trial by indictment, would they be entitled to an Irish speaking jury or would an interpreter be provided to convey what the defendant is saying to the jurors?

I don't speak a word of Irish myself btw, having completed all of my compulsory education elsewhere in Europe. Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any court proceedings can be conducted as gaeilge. If you turn up to court and suddenly decide that you don't feel like speaking english and the legal teams or the judge involved are unwilling to conduct the case as gaeilge then an interpreter will be provided for you. Your case will be adjourned while this is arranged. though you can speak as gaeilge there is no obligation on the judge or anybody else in the court to reply to you as gaeilge hence the need for an interpreter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I don't speak a word of Irish myself btw, having completed all of my compulsory education elsewhere in Europe. Just curious.

Just because you completed all of your compulsory education in Europe doesn't mean you can't speak a word of Irish. There is no bar to your learning and speaking any number of words if Irish if you are of a mind to with the only upper limit being the total actual number of words in Irish.
    Many people spoke Irish before there was any compulsory education at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just because you completed all of your compulsory education in Europe doesn't mean you can't speak a word of Irish. There is no bar to your learning and speaking any number of words if Irish if you are of a mind to with the only upper limit being the total actual number of words in Irish.
    Many people spoke Irish before there was any compulsory education at all!

What has that to do with the scenario? If you weren't taught, or didn't learn Irish, you don't know Irish. I was taught it for 14 years and couldn't hold even a basic conversation in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What has that to do with the scenario? If you weren't taught, or didn't learn Irish, you don't know Irish. I was taught it for 14 years and couldn't hold even a basic conversation in Irish.

Aon focal, da focal, tu focal eile, And I not know, no focal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

If you can't speak it, you weren't taught it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement