Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building Chest muscle - Advice needed.

Options
  • 09-06-2021 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

I have 2 x 15KG dumbbells and a 10KG weight vest. I don't have a bench.

Would push ups with the weight vest be better or floor presses with the dumbbells for the chest? I also do the following,

Dumbbell curls (biceps)
    Triceps extension (triceps)
    Bent over row (back)
    Shoulder press (shoulders)
    Dumbbell squats/lunges (legs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's not a case of either/or.

Do both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

RossGeller wrote: »

Would push ups with the weight vest be better or floor presses with the dumbbells for the chest? I also do the following,

Dumbbell curls (biceps)
    Bent over row (back)

There are a lot of variables here. If you're a smaller person, and a novice or de-trained then those 15kg dumbbells and 10kg weight vest are potentially going to be adequate for a while if you used the right training protocols.

If you're actually already comparatively strong and have been training a while, then the dumbbells may be of limited use to you.

If you are a novice or untrained then rather than thinking about the chest specifically you are probably better approaching this from the point of view of just having in mind that you want to do a hypertrophy program with an upper body focus. From an aesthetic point of view I wouldn't underestimate the value of growing things like side delts and triceps if you want to create a bigger, more aesthetic upper body.

If your goals are genuinely upper body hypertrophy and really want to bias towards that then you're potentially you're going to be better served by a pretty traditional bodybuilding split that has you training four days a week. It's quite different to the type of whole body training or upper / lower splits that are generally recommended on this forum, but if that's all the equipment you have, and your goals are genuinely hypertrophy of the upper body and chest, then actually it's your best bet. Worth mentioning, however, that we might be able to answer a very different answer if you had access to a barbell / rack / full gym.

If you want to bias towards your chest then if you have a dedicated chest/triceps/shoulder day, for example, then lead out with as challenging a chest exercise as you can come up with. Could be tempo pushups in the weighted vest, feet elevated, for example. Then maybe follow that with more volume for the chest, but unweighted higher rep work, maybe sets of deficit push-ups or DB bench if they're heavy enough for it. Then could do something like seated DB overhead press. Finish off with side delt raises, dips and some other light high rep tricep exercise.

On another day I would slot in some more push-ups, maybe a variation like close grip push-ups.

You might have to make use of training methods to make your sets harder...

- Slow down the tempo dramatically to increase time under tension
    - Use pre-exhaustion movements before your work sets... So for example if DB overhead pressing with what you have is too light, then pre-exhaust by doing several sets of DB side raises before you do those presses... Before you do your push-ups do some floor flyes and so on
    - "Rest pause" sets, giant sets etc.

As far as exercise selection goes I just want to mention as well that DB floor pressing would be pretty much pointless for the chest, it's a tricep / lock-out movement best performed with weights that are heavy for you. Look at DB floor flyes, deficit push-ups, wide grip push-ups and potentially DB benching but again depends how strong you are whether or not that's in any way worthwhile.

Long post but actually I think in some ways these types of question are far more interesting to try to answer than the person who comes along, has access to a full gym, and says "I want to get strong / get big". There's a much more clear cut answer in that case than in cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Dumbbell curls (biceps)
    Bent over row (back)

You probably know enough at this time but I mention some that most time is neglected.

For muscle hypertrophy
    Do both concentric & eccentric type exercise.
    Give good few days for muscle recovery.
    Don't overdo proteins.
    Reduce to 0 refine sugar/fructose, carbs from natural food ok.
    Stay away from daily stress.

Concentrate on getting enough minerals/vitamins sourced from food a co-factor on muscle growth.
    Electrolytes: Potassium, magnesium, salt etc, trace minerals, vit C, A, D, E, K, B,

Allow your body time to absorb nutrients & complete recycle cycles by introducing intermittent fasting, so no snacks.

Ideal keep your blood sugar below 6 before going to bed.
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=blood+sugar+monitor&_sacat=0

Get urine strips, (for protein & glucose monitor)
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/310256074799

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

With what you have, I would make my main exercises:

Weight vest push-up

Dips
    - You can do these between two chairs if they're sturdy enough

DB Shoulder press
    - not much of a chest exercise but a good one to include either way.

markmoto wrote: »
    Get urine strips, (for protein & glucose monitor)
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/310256074799

Guy is literally just asking for tips on training chest and you're telling him to test his piss?

Please stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Cill94 wrote: »
    Guy is literally just asking for tips on training chest and you're telling him to test his piss?

Please stop.

He asked for advice on building chest muscles, I share my experience.
    If you only capable to read about test strips so be it.

Keep it simple, OP. Black Sheep and Cill94 are two of the best contributors to listen to on here and they've given some good advice there.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

OK thanks for the advice everyone.

For my belly, would dumbbell swings be the best option? I'm what you'd call "skinny fat" .

I'm aware that spot reducing is impossible. I'm trying to get big while also flatten my stomach.

OK thanks for the advice everyone.

For my belly, would dumbbell swings be the best option? I'm what you'd call "skinny fat" .

I'm aware that spot reducing is impossible. I'm trying to get big while also flatten my stomach.

No problem. I'd recommend checking out Reddit's bodyweight programmes. You could incorporate the equipment you already have into them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/minroutine

It will be all diet and strength training that improve your physique. Dumbbell swings won't do anything specifically to help you here.

Clean up the diet and get stronger and you'll probably be happy with the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Would push ups with the weight vest
    There are lots of push up variants to make them harder, like raise your legs, I put my legs on a couch. I have pushup stands so I can go very deep too, you might have some strong boxes which you could use to also allow a deep pushup with more range of motion.

I do dips in a local park. If you keep an eyeout you can spot railings to do them on. My park has dedicated parallel dip bars, but it also has 3 other things I do dips on, 2 right angled railings of differing thickness

Like the right angles on these rails
    outdoor-stainless-steel-railing-500x500.jpg

and one set of bicycle sheffield stands which are unusally close together, like these
    xsheffield-cycle-stand-galvanised-root-fixed-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AjE9GoSF5S.jpg
    They are quite wider than the parallel bars so it feels quite different.

I will do one or 2 sets on one "dip station" and then walk to the next and get a rest in during the walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

Long post but actually I think in some ways these types of question are far more interesting to try to answer than the person who comes along, has access to a full gym, and says "I want to get strong / get big". There's a much more clear cut answer in that case than in cases like this.

In terms of getting big would the exercises I'm doing be enough.

Push ups with weight vest
    Dumbbell Curls
    Tricep extensions
    Bent over row
    Shoulder press
    Squats/Lunges

I'm working from home so I do a little bit everyday.

My diet is :
    Breakfast - Muesli (low sugar brand)
    Lunch - Carved Chicken slices on bap
    Dinner - Beef with brown rice, peas
    Before bed - Protein shake, Greek yogurt

I'm 5"11, 13stone with a beer belly. (I've cut out beer and sugary drinks/food since last Christmas, however my gut has barely gone down at all)

In terms of getting big would the exercises I'm doing be enough.

Push ups with weight vest
    Dumbbell Curls
    Tricep extensions
    Bent over row
    Shoulder press
    Squats/Lunges

I'm working from home so I do a little bit everyday.

My diet is :
    Breakfast - Muesli (low sugar brand)
    Lunch - Carved Chicken slices on bap
    Dinner - Beef with brown rice, peas
    Before bed - Protein shake, Greek yogurt

I'm 5"11, 13stone with a beer belly. (I've cut out beer and sugary drinks/food since last Christmas, however my gut has barely gone down at all)

I would suggest adding pull ups if you can arrange somewhere to do them.

After that, I would throw in some side delt raises but your list is ok. Maybe some more push up variations, like close grip pushups and deficit push ups.

Not sure how you are making the bent over rows work if you only have those DBs but you could also look at inverted rows or table rows in lieu if you can figure out how to do them.

Whatever exercises you are doing, remember your goals mean you need to get a lot of time under tension so really slow the negative part of the movement. In general you should be in proximity to failure on a lot of your work, if hypertrophy is your goal. You don’t really want to be “tipping along”, training sub maximally and keeping reps in the tank.

To be honest though, if you’ve not been training and are getting back into it, or are otherwise building up from a low base, just get consistent with your training and get a bit of a foundation going. Dedicated hypertrophy training like the split I was talking about earlier may be OTT at this stage. If your weight is a concern try to make more positive food choices, iron out the big issues, and keep some cardio in there even if it’s just a 10-20 minute walk a day and a longer one or light run here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I find with push ups and even dB bench press, I end up getting more of an arm workout than ever really activating my chest.

D.Q wrote: »
    I find with push ups and even dB bench press, I end up getting more of an arm workout than ever really activating my chest.

Pushups can be an excellent tricep exercise if done close or with a diamond hand position.

If you go wider with the hand position, and particularly if you do deficit pushups that allow you to go deep then they’ll hit your chest more.

On the DB bench, or benching in general, again at the bottom of the movement there is necessarily chest involvement. If you’re only feeling it in your triceps worth checking your range of motion.

The other possibility is your triceps are your weak point in both movements, I guess.

D.Q wrote: »

Agree with what Black Sheep said but also maybe you just notice your arms more. Unless you do a very short range of motion your chest muscles are being worked.

You'll feel it more with a wider hand placement.

Other options to work yourself harder is using tempos and pauses. You can download a metronome app and set it at 60 BPM (or search metronome 60BPM) on youtube and thats one second per beat. Use that to time longer pauses at the bottom or slow downward movement.

I didn't have a vest so had to be creative in having variety to make them harder and not end up needing to do 30, 40, 50 reps to feel it

Advertisement