Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Passport - photos

• 31-05-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have been trying to upload passport photos to dfa for online renewal. I have taken passport photos for friends and family for years but the checks seem to have changed :confused:

Does anyone know if you can no longer use dslr? This is what is on dfa
    Use a device like a smartphone, iPad or computer that takes digital photos. You’ll need someone to help you take the photo.
    You cannot take a selfie
    Do not use the zoom function on a digital camera or smartphone

First photo I uploaded, went through but gave me a warning about the background, any subsequent photo even the first fails after this. I put it down to conversion from raw to jpeg. It appears somehow the device I am using gets flagged. Tried my phone, random photo got through to the 2nd step with warnings about the photo as expected. Uploaded one from dslr on phone it went through again to warnings but after this any further photos get blocked. Plan on taking some tomorrow with my phone although it appears to be flagged now and any photo doesn't get to the 2nd stage of checking :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

In my experience photos you upload can't be filtered or converted as it's flagged as being "altered"

Took me a while last year to get photos accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

my wife used some random passport photo app from the app store to take the photos for the kids and using the settings for irish passports (which are different to other countries) that worked out fine and both were accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Thanks, I guess I will take them with a phone.

Will have to try a different as seems any photo fails after first attempt at uploading an "altered" photo. Bit crazy as the quality is far better than what I took on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I go to a chemist shop that does passport photos. But, instead of giving me a hard copy, I ask them to email the photo to me.

Download the photo and use it when making your passport application.

The people in those pharmacies know what the passport office require and there will be no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Also found the altering of the photo (I was only cropping) was a problem. In the end it was an old IPhone unaltered photo, white background, fill flash with plenty of room around the subject.

2 day turnaround time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Now this was for a UK passport, not an Irish one, but after cropping and slightly darkening the photo, I used an EXIF editor to remove the reference to Adobe Photoshop in the EXIF "Software" field and it was accepted no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd just go to one of those approved photo kiosks, they give you a code which you use online when applying and that transfers the photo, no messing around, no errors with rejected photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd just go to one of those approved photo kiosks, they give you a code which you use online when applying and that transfers the photo, no messing around, no errors with rejected photos.

Funnily enough a few years ago the system didn’t accept my photo kiosk pic (using the online code). Was “approved” at kiosk but not accepted by passport office

Wife got an app and took a pic using that. No problems with that one (and have used it since)

Advertisement