Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little Terns 2021

• 25-05-2021 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

KILCOOLE - yet again Birdwatch Ireland cannot get it together to even have a Facebook page or blog update to let people know what is happening. The excuse that "We haven't posted any updates yet - the wardens have been too busy to write anything! We'll hopefully have something from them soon though, so keep an eye on our Facebook page and website and you'll see it!" from a message received on the 17th May.

It's 2021 not 1921, and yet it's beyond Birdwatch HQ to ring somebody at Kilcoole and get a brief update which they (HQ) could then put on the main site or a dedicated Little Tern FB page - even a weekly report would take a couple of minutes to organise.

The latest news (from 2020) here: https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/little-tern/

BALTRAY (Louth Nature Trust) https://www.facebook.com/louthnaturetrust - no word online this year - contacted via FB 25/5/2021 and was told volunteers are being sought! A quite offensive/defensive exchange since took place via FB Messenger and I'm not much the wiser.

The very fact that the Louth Nature Trust exists says something in itself as if Birdwatch Ireland was running as it should the Trust would be a local branch of their organisation.

PORTRANE (Birdwatch Ireland, Fingal)
    Nothing happening on their website: https://bwifingal.ie/
    Emailed 25/5/2021.

I remain staggered about the inefficIency of those involved - not the volunteers/wardens etc. on the ground - the administration at BWI and the Louth Nature Trust. A great opportunity to highlight this important conservation work, recruit new members, and raise badly needed funds is being missed out on.

I ran two volunteer organisations for years in an era before the internet. In the early days newsletters had to be typed, photocopied, stapled, folded, put in envelopes, addresses written, stamps added .... but we did it. It has never been easier to disseminate information so what's the problem?

Comments

I know BWI have had some upheaval lately; their recently appointed CEO sadly died.

I have always received very helpful and compendious responses from Niall Hatch in particular, I don't know who your dealings were with.

There certainly shouldn't be any difficulty providing regular updates on social media, it could hardly take more than 20 minutes/week. A shame, as several smaller orgs that I am involved with to a greater or lesser degree have no difficulty.

Advertisement