Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolbox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That thing is huge, I'd get something smaller. But do you really need it? I've a cooler I got in LIDL that's powered from mains or 12V and it's very insulated if you add blast frozen Ice it could be still there two or 3 days later. With the one you've linked it will need to be filled with a lot of ice to keep food cool so you are looking at 30 lts of food kept cool by 40 ltrs of ice.

Something like this (out of stock) box would be better you can fill it at home get it cold by plugging it in and power it from your car driving there or even from the boat if you have the battery capacity. Frozen juice boxes work well as ice packs too

https://www.omearacamping.com/outwell-ecocool--24ltr-lite-12vmains-fridge-cooler-10864-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

There are cooler boxes in the LidL special buys today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've been thinking about an electric cooler for the boat as well.. Something that I could plug into mains when in a marina hooked up to shore power, and possibly into the boats 12v if out on a particularly warm day. I do have a house battery as well as an engine battery, and I can configure to use any 1 or both of them, so if motoring for a while, run/charge both, and if sailing only, only use the house battery.

The boat does have a large cool box though, and it works reasonably well in fairness. I've tried the blue ice block things that you get (loads of them), but they just don't seem to stay cold beyond a couple of hours! What I find actually works best are the Innocent Orange Juice large bottles (1.75L), filled with water and frozen at home... Used a few of these on a weekend away 2 years ago, and 3 days later they were still partly frozen, and the contents of the cool box were still fridge cold... then as they melt, you can just pour the water down the sink... or better still is to use bottles of your preferred drinking water (Volvic), and freeze a few of them at home, and use them as your ice blocks..

Based on this, I've been looking for small freezers that would be mains only, that I could plug in at night when shore power is available to re-freeze the water bottles.

I dont like dumping ice in as when it melts, it drains into the bilge, and on a flat bottomed boat, any sort of heel and the bilge water gets everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I've been thinking about an electric cooler for the boat as well.. Something that I could plug into mains when in a marina hooked up to shore power, and possibly into the boats 12v if out on a particularly warm day. I do have a house battery as well as an engine battery, and I can configure to use any 1 or both of them, so if motoring for a while, run/charge both, and if sailing only, only use the house battery.

Based on this, I've been looking for small freezers that would be mains only, that I could plug in at night when shore power is available to re-freeze the water bottles.

I dont like dumping ice in as when it melts, it drains into the bilge, and on a flat bottomed boat, any sort of heel and the bilge water gets everywhere...
    The draw on a boat-sized coolbox is about 4 amps so it's chunky for a house battery IMO unless your alternator is running. I don't think a freezer would be practical - it would tie you down to wiring up most nights. (Not an expert, my sailing is totally off-grid, e.g. nearest pontoon mains or fuel pump is 60NM away!)

• Advertisement

Mick Tator wrote: »
    The draw on a boat-sized coolbox is about 4 amps so it's chunky for a house battery IMO unless your alternator is running. I don't think a freezer would be practical - it would tie you down to wiring up most nights. (Not an expert, my sailing is totally off-grid, e.g. nearest pontoon mains or fuel pump is 60NM away!)

I'm not having much luck anyway finding a small enough freezer, so I'll keep going as I am with my frozen bottles of juice, and if ever away for longer than they'd last, it'd have to be a few bags of ice from a shop, and try and keep them in watertight bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Look for a cooler that has the cavity filled with foam rather than just air. Or fill it with expanding foam yourself. Far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

A compressor fridge / coolbox won't draw anything as much on 12v, especially if you can top it up overnight on shore power.

If you're short on space - this type of thing https://www.svb24.com/en/dometic-compressor-cooler-cf11.html

You can use the entire thing as a fridge or freezer.

If you have space, you can pick up a compressor fridge from about 350e

Alkers wrote: »
    A compressor fridge / coolbox won't draw anything as much on 12v, especially if you can top it up overnight on shore power.

If you're short on space - this type of thing https://www.svb24.com/en/dometic-compressor-cooler-cf11.html

That looks brilliant.

That looks brilliant.

Am after falling into the rabbit hole myself and thinking of picking up one of these (for the camper / dad's boat): https://www.svb24.com/en/mobicool-mcf32-compressor-cooler.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DaSchmo

I have the 60qt version of this (igloo maxcold marine cooler with wheels), it's a brilliant cooler. Keeps ice for days - typically on boat trips on the shannon we fill it with a few bags of frozen ice initially and then top up with fresh ice whenever we stop near a shop that stocks it.

Main use is transporting all the cold food and drinks to the boat and then keeping mostly drinks cold on the trip in conjunction with a fridge on the boat.

It's also great for caravan trips, festivals etc etc. Can't recommend highly enough.

If you don't open the lid too much it'll keep ice for a long time

The best bit is the wheels, take out of the car and roll it down the marina to the boat. You'd put your back out trying to carry a big cooler full.

https://www.omearacamping.com/110-qtz-cooler-box---igloo-maxcold-pro-glide---6-day-cooler-3345-p.asp

Am after falling into the rabbit hole myself and thinking of picking up one of these (for the camper / dad's boat): https://www.svb24.com/en/mobicool-mcf32-compressor-cooler.html

Yeah, I really like the idea of being able to re-freeze my ice blocks every night if on a marina with shore power, or if I have to spend a few hours motoring...

Taking 2 weeks off in August, with no plans to travel anywhere so if teh weather plays ball, I'd fancy a nice little week long trip up/down the coast...

You can use the entire thing as a fridge or freezer.

If you have space, you can pick up a compressor fridge from about 350e

Four amps is not a lot but overnight for a house battery (usually +/- 110Ah) it mounts up very quickly. To put that figure in context it would be like running a bilge pump or an autopilot constantly. I had a quick look at the .pdf of your freezer recommendation (which I’d guess would be more than 4amps operating as a freezer) to see what it draws but the specs. are bare. However, it does say this:-
    4Using the battery monitor…………….If the cooling device is operated when the vehicle ignition is switched off, the cooling device switches off automatically as soon as the supply voltage falls below a set level……………NOTICE! Danger of damage! When switched off by the battery monitor, the vehicle battery will no longer be fully charged. Avoid starting repeatedly or operating current consumers without longer charging phases. Ensure that the vehicle battery is recharged. (my bold)

Regular LA batteries hate that level of discharge and unless the boat has AGM or better you’ll be replacing them regularly.I use the frozen bottles with an addition of lime slices, provides a double function.

Four amps is not a lot but overnight for a house battery (usually +/- 110Ah) it mounts up very quickly. To put that figure in context it would be like running a bilge pump or an autopilot constantly. I had a quick look at the .pdf of your freezer recommendation (which I’d guess would be more than 4amps operating as a freezer) to see what it draws but the specs. are bare. However, it does say this:-
    4Using the battery monitor…………….If the cooling device is operated when the vehicle ignition is switched off, the cooling device switches off automatically as soon as the supply voltage falls below a set level……………NOTICE! Danger of damage! When switched off by the battery monitor, the vehicle battery will no longer be fully charged. Avoid starting repeatedly or operating current consumers without longer charging phases. Ensure that the vehicle battery is recharged. (my bold)

Regular LA batteries hate that level of discharge and unless the boat has AGM or better you’ll be replacing them regularly.I use the frozen bottles with an addition of lime slices, provides a double function.

4amps is the max draw. The compressor will cycle on and off to maintain the temperature set. If you chill things before putting them in, it certainly won't be chugging along at 4amps continuous overnight. Even still you have the option of only powering it on when the engine is running or shore power connected and the cooling is strong enough to become a freezer if needed, while using it as a coolbox for the remaining time
    Also, the voltage switch of is a setting that can be changed to suit your battery setup, it should be viewed as a failsafe, not something you'd be relying on under normal operation

4amps is the max draw. The compressor will cycle on and off to maintain the temperature set. If you chill things before putting them in, it certainly won't be chugging along at 4amps continuous overnight. Even still you have the option of only powering it on when the engine is running or shore power connected and the cooling is strong enough to become a freezer if needed, while using it as a coolbox for the remaining time
    Also, the voltage switch of is a setting that can be changed to suit your battery setup, it should be viewed as a failsafe, not something you'd be relying on under normal operation

The draw of 4 amps is the accepted draw for a fridge in an hour. The figure for an autopilot is 3.5 and, for comparison, a depth sounder is 0.25. Most people have either experienced or are aware of an auto bilge pump draining a battery. I’m not getting into a debate on this when the draw of the cooler unit, or the boat’s battery type, or its Ah all are unknowns. Personally, I’d prefer to be sure that my engine would start when I need it. Even if that means the crew has to forgo cold drinks.
    My point has been made. Things are different if you’re in a camper van and can call the AA.

The draw of 4 amps is the accepted draw for a fridge in an hour. The figure for an autopilot is 3.5 and, for comparison, a depth sounder is 0.25. Most people have either experienced or are aware of an auto bilge pump draining a battery. I’m not getting into a debate on this when the draw of the cooler unit, or the boat’s battery type, or its Ah all are unknowns. Personally, I’d prefer to be sure that my engine would start when I need it. Even if that means the crew has to forgo cold drinks.
    My point has been made. Things are different if you’re in a camper van and can call the AA.

Fair enough, I'm not arguing either but it is a discussion board!

You shouldn't be running this (or moreso a fridge) from the engine battery, so that's irrelevant!

Not all fridges are the same, compressor fridges are much more efficient than absorbtion but they are more expensive.

A bilge pump running continuously points to bigger issues than lack of cold drinks. It depends on the size of the vessel, but in 2021, having the capacity to keep things cool shouldn't be a big ask on any 25 foot + boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Alkers,
    I've been looking at that same coolbox on SVB24 https://www.svb24.com/en/mobicool-mcf32-compressor-cooler.html
    Looks like a decent bit of kit but I'm not sure if it would take up too much space. I am regularly on shorepower at night and I also have two big AGM batteries so I think it would work fine. Would be handy for days out or if we have a gang onboard.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Alkers,
    I've been looking at that same coolbox on SVB24 https://www.svb24.com/en/mobicool-mcf32-compressor-cooler.html
    Looks like a decent bit of kit but I'm not sure if it would take up too much space. I am regularly on shorepower at night and I also have two big AGM batteries so I think it would work fine. Would be handy for days out or if we have a gang onboard.

I had to pinch myself from buying it yesterday, it is very large - pretty much 400*400*600 so it takes up too much space for me for what I'd use it for. It's a pity they don't make a smaller version, the smaller dometic ones are a nice size, you'd fit one in the footwell of a car, behind a front seat.

Do you have two AGM leisure batteries or is one a starter?

I used one of hte smaller Dometic units for a week sailing on the south coast, only powering it on when we were under engine or hooked up to shore power and it was perfect. Teh more stuff you have in it, the longer it will stay cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I have 2 x 170ah Victron Super Cycle AGM's in my domestic bank. Great spec batteries but big money.
    My engine starter batteries are separate.

Donie75 wrote: »
    I have 2 x 170ah Victron Super Cycle AGM's in my domestic bank. Great spec batteries but big money.
    My engine starter batteries are separate.

You'll have no issues at all so

• Advertisement
Advertisement