Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Danger of Conspiracy Theories

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

I think I know someone caught up in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

King Mob wrote: »
    This is kinda just false equivalence though.

It isn't equally as likely that there's a big giant secret satanist pedophile ring controlling the world as it is that that's just not true.

Claims about unfounded vaccine dangers aren't as supported as the mountains of evidence for their safety.

It isn't a 50/50 toss up about whether or not the Earth is flat.

For most popular conspiracy theories, to even sit on the fence about them, you have to assume things like it's possible that there's a giant global conspiracy and that the vast majority of experts in a field are involved in that conspiracy.
    This is already a massive leap in logic to take just to consider the possibility.

By the same token, what do you have to assume is possible for the conspiracy theory to be wrong?
    That some anonymous person on the internet is talking out of their arse.
    That's not exactly a stretch of the imagination.

And in my experience, if you scratch under the surface of any of the popular conspiracy theories here, even a little bit, they tend to fall apart.

A lot of conspiracy theory will either be false, exaggerated or false. That's is a given.

At the same time, you'd be a fool to believe that every mainstream media is absolutely correct every time.

A healthy dose of skepticism either or both ways might be the safest approach

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A lot of conspiracy theory will either be false, exaggerated or false. That's is a given.

At the same time, you'd be a fool to believe that every mainstream media is absolutely correct every time.

True, but I wouldn't even be comparing the two

You'll struggle to find an original conspiracy theory presented here that has a single grain of truth to it

There's no comparison between that and responsible journalism, science, academia

Modern populist conspiracy theory-mongering is the art of casting doubt on facts in order to insert lies. Simple as. And they prey on uninformed people with low critical thinking to evangelise those lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But again, this is a false equivalence.

Media organisations are held to standards, conspiracy theory outlets are not.

I'm not arguing that all real media outlets are perfectly correct 100% of the time.
    But again, it's not a 50-50 toss up between these outlets and conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Conspiracy theorists often latch onto facts changing in reporting. However, they fail to grasp that a breaking news story will often have updates, and corrections as more is learned about the situation. It is one of the reasons they claim media outlets can’t be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gorgonzaga

hawley wrote: »

My partner’s defence usually came in three forms: freedom of speech for when he was rattling off racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic and other prejudiced theories; libertarian “whataboutery” based on circumstantial evidence to the point where nothing said could be true or untrue; and projection, when I was deemed the intolerant one.

That pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

OK we've offically passed batsh1t. The 5G crew are buying this up.

https://emfclothing.com/en/7-electromagnetic-protective-clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not a proper tinfoil hat in sight. very disappointed. I shall have to continue making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I would say there is a danger that a certain very serious conspiracy theorists could start to lose touch with reality and assume everything is staged or part of some grand plan. That could be pretty damaging to their state of mind, and might lead to outright paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i think that time has already passed for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

With that drivel she could be a poster from here.

The thing I notice is about conspiracy theories is the government sponsered ones - like the Trump Russian conspiracy theory - tend to be accepted.

the US is pushing the Wuhan lab leak theory as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gross simplification though. The "US" isn't some homogenuous entity. Some politicians there have supported conspiracies that are fake or have been exposed as baseless, yet have had relatively large support among the public. For the lab leak, it's a hypothesis, we don't 100% know where Covid originated from. For the Russia investigation, there were 34 indictments or guilty plea's, and confirmed extensive Russian meddling in the 2016 US election.

Advertisement