Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

All I'm asking is Can anyone point me in the direction of a Competitive Farm Agri Store, Co-Op, etc.
    I don't mind where it is even if it's in the UK.
    With the falling price of oil ( the usual excuse for increasing the price )
    I just don't want to be reminded of being ripped off every time we put out a bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Track9 wrote: »
    All I'm asking is Can anyone point me in the direction of a Competitive Farm Agri Store, Co-Op, etc.
    I just don't want to be reminded of being ripped off every time we put out a bale.

Due to less demand for the likes of jet fuel, refineries have to specifically make plastic raw materials instead of producing them as a byproduct which all adds cost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭roosterman71

With the falling price of oil

Falling price of oil? Is that happening? Compared to 12 months ago how do the prices compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How much did derrylin and derrynoose quote you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Suppose some of them get what they pay for in terms of staff.often hear it claimed "he can't get staff" i never see these jobs advertised anyway. So i,l'll assume the young fellas that might be engaging in tik tok are queuing in their yards for a job at silage time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has anyone ever used Silograss 5 Plus bale wrap before? Is it cheap quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I'd be interested in hearing Lakill's verdict on the fastrac for baling. I'd imagine the view of the pick up wouldn't be hectic but we'll see what he thinks himself.
    Will she be going on the wrapper and the McCormick back on the baler??

Fastrac went great and pick up view is great. A lot happier than i expected and was lead to believe. (Happy I hadn't the camera installed )

Wrapping was a ****e show :). Blew a relay on mccormick the evening before, then had a wrapper issue but look little things happen and we got there :)

waiting on Elec Mechcanic to come look at the mccormcik a few weeks and to wire in the camera on fastrac but he had a broken leg so was out of action but got there . A few foreign words may have been used .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Did he spend all weekend trying to figure out his spool valves :D

Susssh you

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Jb1989 wrote: »
    How much did derrylin and derrynoose quote you?

====================================

Derrnoose quoted ( see below .) In Euros ..............

]Our best price would be €80.50 per roll plus €40 for delivery.[/I]

The above is for 15 - 20 rolls plastic.
    Aewaitging price from Mc Rorys, a pain because one has to call them & then they call back.
    Local Co-Op 88 e collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Aewaitging price from Mc Rorys, a pain because one has to call them & then they call back.

Dandys is the same per roll as is other places across the border I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

What brands are you pricing in both places? There is a big variation in quality on different brands.

Would you not just be better off getting it in the local co-op? You could just pick it up as you need it then instead of paying for it all now and looking at it in the shed then. At 20 rolls it’s not a big amount really and when you add the carriage cost you’ll only save about €5 a roll, that would be 17 or 18 cent a bale. With quality silage costing well above €20 a bale to make it’s not much of a saving for all the ringing around and organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Dunedin

DBK1 wrote: »
    What brands are you pricing in both places? There is a big variation in quality on different brands.

Would you not just be better off getting it in the local co-op? You could just pick it up as you need it then instead of paying for it all now and looking at it in the shed then. At 20 rolls it’s not a big amount really and when you add the carriage cost you’ll only save about €5 a roll, that would be 17 or 18 cent a bale. With quality silage costing well above €20 a bale to make it’s not much of a saving for all the ringing around and organising.

Rang two local places yesterday. €90 in both places for black silowrap

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Are 1st cuts going to run late this year? Weather is very mixed for those who cut early meaning everything might get delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mengele wrote: »
    Are 1st cuts going to run late this year? Weather is very mixed for those who cut early meaning everything might get delayed.

3 weeks behind around here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Reggie. wrote: »
    3 weeks behind around here
    Same here.

I walked some of my own this eve. It’s a lot heavier than I thought, starting to lodge now and worse starting to head out. Because it’s heavy it’ll need at least 2 good days after mowing to be dry enough for baling. Doesn’t look like there’s two full dry days coming at any stage in the next week so it could turn out to be poor silage by the time it’s cut.

Whenever a bit of dry weather does come now I’d say we’ll be busy, there’s a good bit around here nearly ready for cutting now.

My own crop is fairly light, though has bulked up in the last week. Aim to cut around June bank holiday. Not sure how it will work this year. Maybe run it a week later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

My neighbour has grass fever, he drives through his silage fields in the berlingo nearly every evening now.
    The pubs need to open soon or he needs to stop watching evenflow videos possibly also.

Someone nearby is doing pit silage today. Tractors and trailers going up past the window here for the last couple of hours. I think it's a long draw. 7 different tractors gone up the road so far. Haven't seen any a second time yet. They don't come back by me when empty so they have a loop around somewhere

Someone nearby is doing pit silage today. Tractors and trailers going up past the window here for the last couple of hours. I think it's a long draw. 7 different tractors gone up the road so far. Haven't seen any a second time yet. They don't come back by me when empty so they have a loop around somewhere

John deeres

John deeres

Just one Deere. Massey, Valtra, 2 Case, 2 Fendts. Claas harvester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

At it here today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Some rain falling the last hour, hope anyone that chanced it gets it done before it hits

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

At it here today

Has it rained up there? Ground looks wet and mucky?

Just one Deere. Massey, Valtra, 2 Case, 2 Fendts. Claas harvester

Conroy?

Conroy?

Dunno. I'd imagine there's a few lads involved going by the number of trailers on the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

At it here today

Not being mean but that loader has a tough life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A lad wouldn't want to let the clutch slip

Not being mean but that loader has a tough life.

Can you hear the squeaks from across the pond :D
    Tbf, small yards and sheds around here, would need to keep that loader if bought a bigger loader

mengele wrote: »
    Has it rained up there? Ground looks wet and mucky?

We got a shower, was pure luck tbh but got not real heavy rain that was everywhere else

Thats bad oul stone from our own quarry, cows walk in and out there, doesn't dry up very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

How do ye make enough of that nice 14th may green silage grass for cows though grasstomilk?

Advertisement