Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any quotes for wrap. Got quoted 85/tool for silawrap. Bought it last year for 77 I think

Bought the year's supply at 78 . About 6 weeks ago.

Acorn Gold. Used it before with no issues.

Think we gave 71 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭moneyheer

Bought at €80 a roll bout 2weeks ago. Tomdnext iot of plastic ws going to be €95 a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tips of grass is Black in places this is the N at the tip of the leaf burning it. That is not a problem but it just indicates that grass is still not using up N in ground.

I see plenty of ground around here with very little n and the grass is still black, place looked better in February

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's more to do with the weather and poor nutrient take up, advisor reckons it's more phosphorus not being used than an N issue. If it was N in the actual plant there would be other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Plan is to Mow 1st silage here tomorrow after lunchtime.

The "Dini" is booked in for reseeding in 10 days time

Crop is heavy enough in places , but average enough in other places (hence the reseeding) Got 92units of N back 8 weeks ago and 2500G of pig slurry in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Crop is heavy enough in places , but average enough in other places (hence the reseeding) Got 92units of N back 8 weeks ago and 2500G of pig slurry in Feb.

Have you not seen the forecast for tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Have you tested it for N. IMO for the last 55 days it hard to see average N used of 1.5/day. There could have been residual N from pig slurry as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-SnooZzzz-Sleep-Mask-Light-Free/dp/B0722N8HH6/ref=asc_df_B0722N8HH6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309981954457&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6857281347592185199&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20485&hvtargid=pla-561415358296&psc=1

These are a must when you have a "dini" working on the farm. They are currently unavailable so there must be a few "dini's" around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Is there any point in spreading fertiliser in this weather with the temperatures, wanted to spread some pasture sward, and cut sward on silage ground that got slurry 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Spread away

Mooooo wrote: »
    Spread away

Only provisio is that you are not forecast more than 12-15 mm of rain in the 24 hours after spreading. This message especially applicable to hilly land as rain can wash the fertlizer into hollows below the sloped ground

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

moneyheer wrote: »
    Bought at €80 a roll bout 2weeks ago. Tomdnext iot of plastic ws going to be €95 a roll.

Are silage covers VAT reclaimable, same as more normal 'fixed' items?

Can land reclamation work, charged at 13.5%, be claimed back for on the VAT58 form, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

MfMan wrote: »
    Are silage covers VAT reclaimable, same as more normal 'fixed' items?

Can land reclamation work, charged at 13.5%, be claimed back for on the VAT58 form, anyone know?

Land reclaimation - yes

Section 3d is land improvement, and has a reclamation box (as well as draining and fencing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I see plenty of ground around here with very little n and the grass is still black, place looked better in February

Black is excess oil in the plant because of the cold temperatures.has nothing to do with n content.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have you tested it for N. IMO for the last 55 days it hard to see average N used of 1.5/day. There could have been residual N from pig slurry as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-SnooZzzz-Sleep-Mask-Light-Free/dp/B0722N8HH6/ref=asc_df_B0722N8HH6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309981954457&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6857281347592185199&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20485&hvtargid=pla-561415358296&psc=1

These are a must when you have a "dini" working on the farm. They are currently unavailable so there must be a few "dini's" around

Where the **** are the mods......
    oiii you lot...wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Can use the link but I presume that it's a toe chain. ......

valtra2 wrote: »
    Can use the link but I presume that it's a toe chain. ......

No it protective clothing in case you have to watch a ",dini"

Slava Ukrainii

No it protective clothing in case you have to watch a ",dini"

Steward's inquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Did you get the silage done after?

Did you get the silage done after?

Dont go there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »
    Dont go there

Did he spend all weekend trying to figure out his spool valves :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Every wrapper in the country must be broke down

Did he spend all weekend trying to figure out his spool valves :D

I'll let him come along and explain himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ah lads the suspense is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd be interested in hearing Lakill's verdict on the fastrac for baling. I'd imagine the view of the pick up wouldn't be hectic but we'll see what he thinks himself.
    Will she be going on the wrapper and the McCormick back on the baler??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

View of the balers pickup is excellent based on watching George Saunders pov baling videos on youtube. Extra distance between the cab and hitch allows a better angle to see into it and there no obstruction from the tractor. Ideal baling tractor in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

It's Baling time again & am determined not to pay that huge 90 euro per roll...
    Can anyone point me in a direction for a competitive price, please ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Track9 wrote: »
    It's Baling time again & am determined not to pay that huge 90 euro per roll...
    Can anyone point me in a direction for a competitive price, please ???

Derrylin or Derrynoose maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

How much does the recycle levy put on a roll?
    Wonder is there biodegradable manufactured? I know there is for the maize but it's about 50% dearer.
    No baling this week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Water John wrote: »
    How much does the recycle levy put on a roll?
    Wonder is there biodegradable manufactured? I know there is for the maize but it's about 50% dearer.
    No baling this week anyway.

So we pay a recycling levy when we buy the roll and again when the plastic is collected in spring?

Baler man buys wrap here, always has done so i leave him at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Advertisement