Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Defibrillator

Options
  • 23-03-2021 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Anyone know how to operate public defibrillator. There is one outside a Tesco store near me. Do you need a key to get it out of its holder? DO you ring a number to get them to talk you through It?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dermot224 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to operate public defibrillator. There is one outside a Tesco store near me. Do you need a key to get it out of its holder? DO you ring a number to get them to talk you through It?.

Ideally you'd have someone familiar with them to operate it. But AFAIK all defibs have a recorded voice that talks you through working it. Certainly any ones I've done training on have.

I presume access differs depending on the location, but they should be easily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Many are community operated, with multiple trained users in the locality. Some will have telephone numbers for these individuals on the box.

They are really meant to be used by persons who have had specific training.

Access to the enclosure is typically by way of a code, known to the aforementioned group - but many of the cabinets are also designed to give way if forced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our school fundraised so we have two and our staff do regular training . GAA club a few hundred yards away also have one and so training . They have saved 2 in recent years .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

They all have instructions so they can be really be used by anybody. They talk to you and beep so you can get a good rhythm for compressions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its locked, there will be instructions on how to get the code - generally call 112 and give the eircode that is printed on it - on the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Many are community operated, with multiple trained users in the locality. Some will have telephone numbers for these individuals on the box.

They are really meant to be used by persons who have had specific training.

Access to the enclosure is typically by way of a code, known to the aforementioned group - but many of the cabinets are also designed to give way if forced.

Sorry need to correct you on this, AED's are to be used by Anyone, trained or not.
    Its the immediate use of an AED that can make the difference and most PAD AED's around the country are either unlocked or code protected (Either written on the box or available from 112 call takers)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

I wouldnt think the number would be available to the 999/112 operator, highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

mr cowen wrote: »
    I wouldnt think the number would be available to the 999/112 operator, highly unlikely

Some are if they are linked to a cfr scheme in the area, but, not all are.

Also to the other poster, slap the pads on and give it a go, better then nothing until help arrives. There are voice prompts and pictures to assist you. They are clinically dead so you can't make them worse. An AED will not shock someone who does not need to be shocked.

mr cowen wrote: »

Why would the national call center for emergency medical conditions not have access to the code? Do we have to ring the lad down the road who knows the sister of the lad who owns the shop where the AED is located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Sorry need to correct you on this, AED's are to be used by Anyone, trained or not.
    Its the immediate use of an AED that can make the difference and most PAD AED's around the country are either unlocked or code protected (Either written on the box or available from 112 call takers)

Good to know, and indeed it makes sense.

Some of the enclosures still have large signs on them saying for use by trained persons only, so perhaps there has been a policy update in more recent years.

Out of interest is it not the case that you can deliver shocks when ‘not advised’? Many years ago when I attended a first aid training course, I thought it was mentioned that this was possible by pressing certain buttons? If one did manage to do so inappropriately, or for arguments sake if the machine was faulty, can much injury occur? Or just distress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

foreign wrote: »
    Why would the national call center for emergency medical conditions not have access to the code? Do we have to ring the lad down the road who knows the sister of the lad who owns the shop where the AED is located?

I suppose the data base isnt there, I know dfb dont have that info, also probably so many defibs that are in private ownership, offices, sports centres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Some of the enclosures still have large signs on them saying for use by trained persons only, so perhaps there has been a policy update in more recent years.

Out of interest is it not the case that you can deliver shocks when ‘not advised’? Many years ago when I attended a first aid training course, I thought it was mentioned that this was possible by pressing certain buttons? If one did manage to do so inappropriately, or for arguments sake if the machine was faulty, can much injury occur? Or just distress?

No not possible, it will say stand clear and analyse. It will say restart compressions or shock advised. The button to deliver the shock doesn't work unless the device wants it to by detecting an abnormal heart beat. It stops the heart so yes could cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

All public access defibs are designed to be used by anyone. Simple pictures for pad placement and clear voice prompts tell any untrained person what to do.

They are basically designed for any cabbage to turn on and deliver a shock (if the machine deems it viable)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

There are defibrillators designed for doctors and paramedics who can decide to deliver a shock if they, the practitioner, identify specific heart activity.

However, public-use AEDs do not, they will only allow a shock if the onboard computer detects that specific heart activity. In this case the button becomes active and the machine depends on the user to press the button to deliver the shock once they are sure nobody is touching the patient, and that the patient isn't conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Just to add to this, there have been studies done with trained and non trained people when using a defib. From memory it was about a minute difference, as in the non trained person was able to get the defib on and working, using the pictures and voice prompt a minute after the trained person. Not bad especially when that could be life or death. You can't do any harm when using them. Same with CPR, any CPR is better than no CPR so never be afraid to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There is one in rathmines with a phone number on the box to be called to get the code

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There badly needs to be a public information campaign telling people how easy these devices are to use.

Advertisement