Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

• 18-01-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen two main options put forward on this forum, (1) that he'll remain a political force until the 2024 primaries start up and the Republicans have to take him seriously or (2) that he'll be so mired in litigation that he'll have no time for politics.

There are of course other options for the next 4 years - prison, exile, death or ill-health (he isn't young and he's been under stress), no politics but a business success, emperor. But it'd be an interesting exercise for people to lay their cards on the table now and make their predictions.

Personally I think his political influence will die quickly after the Capitol fiasco but someone else will emerge in 2 years, once the memories have waned, to be the standard-bearer for the QAnon wing.

Threadbanned:
    Real Donald Trump
    12gauge dave
    Sweetemotion
    Timberrrrrrrr
    Cognitive Dissident
    arthursway
    Wojtek the Bear
    BornTobyWilde
    Tonesjones
    BruteStock
    tooka
    brenbrady
    naughtyboy
    DubInMeath
    extra gravy
    Briabnwilldoit
    Yurt2
    Notnattynate
    SnakePliskin
    lizzyjane
    erlichbachman
    Tony EH
    RobbieV
    Kermit.de.frog
    Enter Name here
    Piskin
    Applehunter

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP 849 votes

Stay a political force
    64% 544 votes
    Lose all his political influence
    16% 141 votes
    Other
    19% 164 votes
    Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Another Eastern European model missus after Melania gets the boot/runs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think he'll go round the world being a right wing pain in the swiss roll for every government stirring sh*t while living off the proceeds. A bit like Nidge Ferrage. I imagine its what Putin has told him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If he is not banned from running through being impeached he'll end up the front runner in the Republican party for 2024.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If he is not banned from running through being impeached he'll end up the front runner in the Republican party for 2024.

It's an interesting one that, because he has indicated that it's something he's interested in. However running a presidential election campaign is ruinously expensive, and I foresee Donald not turning out to be as rich as he boasted he was in the near future. Rumour is the Trump Organisation owes $ 1.1bn, and their main Banker, Deutsche Bank wants nothing more to do with the Trump name. On top of that you have the New York tax investigations, which even if he wins are going to result in huge legal and accountant bills, not to mention all his time that it will take up. Now obviously candidates don't fund campaigns themselves, but given the way political donors have closed their wallets since the insurrection, digging deep into his own pockets may be the only way he has of funding a campaign. I suppose the other way he could raise funds are from the millions of deluded individuals who still support him, but there's a limit as to how much each can donate I believe, so he'd need an awful lot of them to stump up the cash for him to run. Ultimately I think it will be financial, rather than political considerations that stop him from running again.

However, let's say he does somehow manage to raise enough money, can the Republican Party stop him running for them? Presumably you just have to be a member of the party to declare as a candidate, but was Bernie Sanders a registered Democrat when he stood in their primaries? If you do have to be a party member, the simplest and most expedient way for the GOP to deal with the issue would be to rescind his membership, but booting out a former president risks further divisions within the party. I'd guess that privately they're all hoping that he has some sort of health issue that will stop him running and save them having to make a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

He will just fade away
    He will probably move to Russia as Putin is a good friend of his
    The democrats said they will not go after him for fraud or other laws he broke but some states might but russia would not send him back to face charges. The ones that stormed the capital will not be so lucky many will face 20 years to life
    For trying to stop the counting of the vote

Trump has asked his advisors should he pardon himself for crimes he committed
    But first he has to admit the crimes in america once you lose the election your party will not invite you again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep doing business I suppose, maybe have another go at Biden in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Im not sure they would want him.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

All the posters in the current thread Trump v Biden thread, who say why do you keep bringing up Obama will be saying. But, but, Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Im not sure they would want him.

They didn’t really want or think he’d get the nomination in 2016 but he did. What the GOP want and get may be two completely different things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

I think the truth will eventually emerge that the elections were rigged and he was duped out of the office. I have a feeling it won't emerge untill sleepy Joe is out of office due to his age and at that point it will be too late to reinstate Donald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I wonder will Biden pardon him. It’s happened before where incoming president has pardoned his predecessor to help smooth the transition and move life on in America.
    Big difference here I suppose is Trump made it personal against the oncoming team so they may well stick it to him.

If he’s not pardoned I’d expect he will face a long series of law cases that will break him. The party will rally a bit initially but get sick of him and his trouble and move away from him. The trumps will shrink away from public life as a result of their name being synonymous with shame and corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Jail

If Trump ends up in jail after all the times he threatened Hillary with the same fate, the irony will be sweeter than caramelised sugar, powdered with monk fruit extract, eaten from a chocolate bowl with candy cane cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Jail

Cant see it.
    Cant see the us having a former president in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He was a dead cert to run again in 24 if he had kept his bib alittle cleaner. All he had to do was keep the election fraud stuff front and centre to keep his supporters tuned up, he could then have mounted a serious challenge in 2024.
    He went many steps too far with the run on the capitol so i believe he has finished his own and his family chances of another presidency.

I think the truth will eventually emerge that the elections were rigged and he was duped out of the office. I have a feeling it won't emerge untill sleepy Joe is out of office due to his age and at that point it will be too late to reinstate Donald.

And then you woke up. Repeating the lie doesn't make it valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think that the SDNY, the New York state AG and the Georgia State AG and DC prosecutor are going to have the Trump clan tied up in criminal courts for quite a while.
    Then there is the slew of civil suits currently awaiting his exit from office, 28 or so at last count.

NY in particular have already had his CFO in and have a huge amount of financial and other issues in play at State level.

Georgia may well take a very strong line in an effort to protect both the integrity and veracity of their elections process and the protection of State officials from undue and criminal influence.

DC prosecutor could well be looking at incitement. The New Yorker video makes it clear that many involved in storming the Congress felt they were directed to do so by Trump.

At a Federal level, Trump should face charges for sedition and insurrection.
    He may try an self pardon to avoid those charges.
    I don't see such a pardon standing the scrutiny of the Supreme Court TBH.
    Given America was borne out of a move away from and rejection of Monarchy.
    The court can not IMO allow a President the ability to self pardon and free reign, it immediately provokes the possibility of a return to the "Tyranny" that the framers sought to escape.

Personally, I think Trump is fúcked legally.
    Even if he doesn't see the inside of a cell, he will spend the remainder of his life in civil and criminal litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All the "I really won and it was fraud" was just a money making racket

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If the US doesn't convict and imprison him and a number of his staff/family then there'll be a queue of Trump-like presidential candidates for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

I hate to say it but I can see him playing some part in the 2024 election. I don't think he will be punished in any meaningful way for anything he did. He'll not be stopped from running again in 2024 and he won't be prosecuted for any of his business shenanigans. Despite his age, weight and hamburger diet, the man is surprisingly robust for someone of his age and I don't see being 4 years older stopping him from running again. While I'm sure there are many within the Republican party who'd love to see him gone, that huge vote for him in the last election was significant. If he hadn't fcked up with Covid, he'd be on the cusp of being sworn again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Setup a 24 hr News channel

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Like Elvis with a cheese burger in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd have agreed with him running again before the Capitol Riots, but not now. He's too toxic and it would split the party. He could run as an independent, but I don't think he'll have the money by that chance.

My money would be shady business deals as long as he doesn;t get convicted of anything and moving abroad if he does.

Trump Junior to run in 2024 is a much safer and bet from a Republican point of view, I would have thought.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd have agreed with him running again before the Capitol Riots, but not now. He's too toxic and it would split the party. He could run as an independent, but I don't think he'll have the money by that chance.

My money would be shady business deals as long as he doesn;t get convicted of anything and moving abroad if he does.

Trump Junior to run in 2024 is a much safer and bet from a Republican point of view, I would have thought.

If he ran as an independent it would also split the Republican vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

If the US doesn't convict and imprison him and a number of his staff/family then there'll be a queue of Trump-like presidential candidates for the foreseeable future.

That's interesting. Convict him of what? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

briany wrote: »
    If Trump ends up in jail after all the times he threatened Hillary with the same fate, the irony will be sweeter than caramelised sugar, powdered with monk fruit extract, eaten from a chocolate bowl with candy cane cutlery.

Amen, brother!! That would make up for Covid, Brexit and every sh!tty thing that has happened in the past year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He will run again and become president

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mickdw wrote: »
    He was a dead cert to run again in 24 if he had kept his bib alittle cleaner. All he had to do was keep the election fraud stuff front and centre to keep his supporters tuned up, he could then have mounted a serious challenge in 2024.
    He went many steps too far with the run on the capitol so i believe he has finished his own and his family chances of another presidency.

Yep exactly. He brought it all on himself. I think he knew what he was doing. He wanted to ruin Joe Biden's inauguration by him having to have the Capital locked down with all the security but he did not think long term about the damage the raid on the Capital would have on himself and looking at it now I would say he regrets it but will never admit that.
    He wants to be able to brag that his inauguration still had more people than Obama's which is false by the way Obama's had more and Biden' but Biden' was going to be limited by Covid anyway so in hindsight what he done was utterly stupid and short sighted but I fir one am delighted for him. I hope he just fades away and we do not hear anything from him again ever

Oh I really hope not. I hope they all fade away they are all as bad as each other.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OS_Head wrote:
    That's interesting. Convict him of what? Asking for a friend.

Take you pick. He has broken dozens of laws. He & several members of his family are under investigation for fraud. If he & his family are guilty of no crime, why do you suppose that he has enquired about pardoning himself and his family? Why would he need a pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

First of all Biden will become increasingly senile over the next two years and perhaps will die in office before finishing his term? Whatever I sincerely doubt he will be running for a second term in 2024. That means Harris will have taken over or else will be running in 2024. She is hardly Miss Popular is she? I can't see them winning over 50% of the electorate who either voted for Trump in 2020 or do not recognise them as legitimate. Losing the midterms is very likely so Trump as long as he's still healthy could dust himself down and take them on.
    I doubt there will be enough votes for at least a two thirds majority to convict to Trump so there won't be anything to stop him if he wants to.
    In red states folklore Trump is a hero and as American as Mount Rushmore the Colt .45 and silicon tits.

Advertisement