Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai should be removed from all 'traffic' work..

• 31-12-2020 4:23am

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but here goes...

I'd be of the opinion that the Gardai should be removed from all vehicular traffic work (in other words, shouldn't be involved in the role of issuing tickets for speeding, phone use, parking, etc.).

Instead, GoSafe should be given a contract and their employees 'sworn in' in such a way that allows them to legally deal with the motorists of the country who fall foul of our traffic rules.

I know many people who have had a negative experience with Gardai at the roadside, and it puts them off going near the Gardai in general, going forward.

Although one individual Garda may be a prick at the side of the road, and the lad at the desk in the station could be lovely, the majority of people see the uniform as a catch-all, and after having a bad experience, will often take a natural dislike to the lad behind the desk, if they meet the roadside Garda, first.

I know people who have had bad experiences at the roadside, and as a result won't bother to ring the local station about an issue that has nothing to do with what their bad experience related to.

I reckon if a different organisation were dealing with the motor-aspect of policing, the general public might view the Gardai a tad more positively in general.

I realise my description here is ham-fisted at best, as I'm using a crappy phone keypad to write, but figured it worth throwing out to see what kind of other opinions there are on the subject. Apologies for any spelling errors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ratracer

Rather than paying a private company a huge contract to park on the side of the road, I would prefer to see a much better funded and enhanced Roads Policing Unit to deal with errant motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ANPR needs to be ramped up to capture untaxed and uninsured cars on the road, taking these off the road will reduce traffic and claims on the uninsured driver fund we all pay in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why pay for a private company when its easy enough to install speed cameras at junctions to catch red light breakers, on "popular" speeding roads and so on

Other countries do it - move beyond the white line at traffic lights then say hello to a fine in the post

As for phone use, parking etc - there are very few "convictions" for that as its more a case of a garda been bothered/deciding to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why pay for a private company when its easy enough to install speed cameras at junctions to catch red light breakers, on "popular" speeding roads and so on

Other countries do it - move beyond the white line at traffic lights then say hello to a fine in the post

As for phone use, parking etc - there are very few "convictions" for that as its more a case of a garda been bothered/deciding to do something about it.

Yup, happens where I live. The cameras are easy to see from a distance and you can't blame anyone else but yourself if caught. I've had 3 speeding fines and my wife in 12 months. €25 roughly per fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Privatising policing in any manner is a bad idea in my mind. Firstly, police have and use the power of discretion which employees working for a private company won't have the benefit of, that leads to a zero tolerance application of the legislation.

Having been a member of AGS I can attest to the negative guard 9 times out of 10 being a result of the driver being aggressive and defensive from the start of an interaction, which the guard then has to deal with. People don't like being told that they're wrong, and would much rather be the victim of an injustice than hold their hands up and accept responsibility for their action.

In my mind this is where the vast majority of these stories come from, now I'm not for one minute saying that there aren't members out there who are bad at their jobs, or who are arseholes. Those people exist, 100%. But I've also never met a person who said they deserved the fine they got for doing 80k in a 50k, holding their phone while driving, not wearing a seat belt, tax out etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yup, happens where I live. The cameras are easy to see from a distance and you can't blame anyone else but yourself if caught. I've had 3 speeding fines and my wife in 12 months. €25 roughly per fine.

At least the fines aren't too hefty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How much resourcing is put into this anyway? I assume a lot of it has been done with covid checkpoints in the last nine months anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

source wrote: »
    Privatising policing in any manner is a bad idea in my mind. Firstly, police have and use the power of discretion which employees working for a private company won't have the benefit of, that leads to a zero tolerance application of the legislation.

And that's a bad thing how?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

This is exactly where the private sector comes into its own. Getting things done.

WE should have privatized the vaccine roll out as well. Would have 24/7 vaccinations going on since 26th instead of relying on public sector sloths to come back from their hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

And that's a bad thing how?

Zero tolerance is a disaster.

You’d end up like the U.K. and look how that Hate, is Turning out .

Look at the hate and frustration in U.K. dash cams , everybody angry as hell.

People getting fined by camera for letting an ambulance pass by slightly moving into a bus lane FFS. Having to appeal for weeks to get off.

Or the video I saw of 7 uniformed police Turning up to a man’s private residence to enforce parking regulations during the severest lockdown, all because everybody was working form home and he couldn’t park in the designated area as it was overflowing ?

Off you go to the U.K. if you want rules enforced by the book.

Over policing the rules , leads to cultural breakdown ,ask the East German rulers how that worked out, and the scars it left on their subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but here goes...

I'd be of the opinion that the Gardai should be removed from all vehicular traffic work (in other words, shouldn't be involved in the role of issuing tickets for speeding, phone use, parking, etc.).

Instead, GoSafe should be given a contract and their employees 'sworn in' in such a way that allows them to legally deal with the motorists of the country who fall foul of our traffic rules.

I know many people who have had a negative experience with Gardai at the roadside, and it puts them off going near the Gardai in general, going forward.

Although one individual Garda may be a prick at the side of the road, and the lad at the desk in the station could be lovely, the majority of people see the uniform as a catch-all, and after having a bad experience, will often take a natural dislike to the lad behind the desk, if they meet the roadside Garda, first.

I know people who have had bad experiences at the roadside, and as a result won't bother to ring the local station about an issue that has nothing to do with what their bad experience related to.

I reckon if a different organisation were dealing with the motor-aspect of policing, the general public might view the Gardai a tad more positively in general.

I realise my description here is ham-fisted at best, as I'm using a crappy phone keypad to write, but figured it worth throwing out to see what kind of other opinions there are on the subject. Apologies for any spelling errors.

Can't let a bad experience put you off.

The lad at a desk could be horrible too.

My first major experience with a Garda was being told I needed to present evidence that I was hit by a car after a hit and run. Personally I thought my limp was enough evidence.

This didn't stop me talking to the Gardai after someone tried to stab me. I was glad to talk to them. Spoke to a lovely first responder to my 999 call and a horrible little scrote behind a desk the next day who told me it was a pity I wasn't stabbed so they could get a heavier sentence rather than lumping attempted stabbing with a 100 other crimes for the district court.

Anyway my point is that there are Gardai behind a desk that have no business being there too and people can't just allow one bad experience to taint their impression with the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So people breaking the law and being correctly pulled over by AGS RPU are causing people not to interact with them in wider society.

I've heard it all now.

Don't break the law and AGS won't have to pull you over and do the job they're paid to do. They apply the rules of the road. Don't speed, don't break red lights, don't have your phone in your hand, don't tailgate other cars etc and most importantly don't be a p***k when you're pulled over for breaking the law. There's a reason you've been pulled over in the first place. You've acted unlawfully and have been correctly pulled over for it. These people are doing their jobs and keeping the roads safe for us all.

I've been pulled for these myself and accept my personal responsibility for it. Wasn't a p***k and complied with AGS each time. Accepted my points and paid the fines. It was my own fault.

If you're going to act unlawfully don't blame the people paid to enforce it when they do so.

This is exactly where the private sector comes into its own. Getting things done.

WE should have privatized the vaccine roll out as well. Would have 24/7 vaccinations going on since 26th instead of relying on public sector sloths to come back from their hols.

Because private sector are completely faultless and have their employees best interests at heart. Plus they can also magic covid vaccines out of thin air.

The frontline public sector workers involved in covid work have been brilliant all year. They are human and can only deal with what they have, not what we and they wished they had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bigus wrote: »
    Zero tolerance is a disaster.
    Well, we currently have the opposite. Red light breaking is comical at this point, parking on the footpath is seen as a human right...

If you want to see why Gardaí shouldn't be removed from traffic duties just look at the twitter feeds and see how many serious offences are detected from something as minor as speeding or some other minor rta offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gosafe has and continues to be an unmitigated shambles, honestly how many can admit not have been flashed by other motorists before coming near these vans. To add to this, most I've seen are parked up in the most bizzare locations. I don't have figures to hand but this is costing in the tens of millions annually.

It can not figure out why with new technologies fixed speed camera systems not being installed. The RSA are great at throwing out statistics (most complete nonsense), but they surely have info on hotspots for speeding around the country. There's certainly no excuse not to have motorways monitored 24 hours.

Personally I think the Roads Policing Unit concept, whilst on paper seemed like a good idea, its really just turned into a revenue generating unit. Their Twitter feed is a disgrace, gleefully posting incidents of offences which at the time of posting remain Alleged, it's astonishing the sarcasm and the fact this is being tolerated. I get traffic accidents, delays, diversions but lately, not a day goes by about cars being siezed with a note of sarcasm attached for good measure.

The recent checkpoints on M50 were a joke. It was abundantly clear people were being waived on, not so much a a nice day or check on reasons for Journey, however they had their mobile app pointing and only pulled in cars when a warning showed for tax, insurance, NCT. Basically a stunt to delay 1000"s going to work whilst generating as many fines as possible.

On a final point, it's not common knowledge but this mobile app does not flag licensing issues, that requires additional checks, it also can not look up provisional or novice licenses if for example driver doesn't have it to hand. Fair enough it's still an offence not to have license on you but seems like a serious oversight by whomever designed this app or the RSA who can't figure out how to share the data.

Technology the answer but only if its proven to work.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

ANPR all the way with roadside enforcement. No messing with 10 days to produce documents etc. Right of appeal to the courts if you want, but deal with it then and there

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The current thinking appears to be that automated policing via the likes of red light cameras, bus lane, cameras, etc. is generally better than doing these offences via manned patrols, precisely because it removes discretion. If people want discretion, they can appeal the ticket or leave it go to court.

Otherwise, discretion can mean not prosecuting local personalities and doubling down on people that the individual garda just happens to not like.

As to who operates the camera an does the paperwork, I'm not convinced on arguments about who should do the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bigus wrote: »

Over policing the rules , leads to cultural breakdown ,ask the East German rulers how that worked out, and the scars it left on their subjects.

That's a police state not zero tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Roads Policing is vital as a means to monitor the movement of known "travelling" criminals. You'd be amazed what a routine checkpoint can bring.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

Otherwise, discretion can mean not prosecuting local personalities and doubling down on people that the individual garda just happens to not like.

Or the person on the way to hospital, having a bad day, has been made redundant and has family, or has made a genuine mistake.

There are many reasons to use discretion and it is a Garda Power that should never be removed.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Roads Policing is vital as a means to monitor the movement of known "travelling" criminals. You'd be amazed what a routine checkpoint can bring.
    this is one of the reasons i cannot fathom people who flash at you to warn you of an upcoming checkpoint. do they not have a clue that the checkpoint may have an ulterior motive?
    i guess it's just an 'honour among thieves' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Or the person on the way to hospital, having a bad day, has been made redundant and has family, or has made a genuine mistake.

There are many reasons to use discretion and it is a Garda Power that should never be removed.

I disagree. Discretion leads to unfairness and, ironically, the discretionary application of said discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

beauf wrote: »
    That's a police state not zero tolerance.

Who decides ?

KaneToad wrote: »
    I disagree. Discretion leads to unfairness and, ironically, the discretionary application of said discretion.

Disagree all you want. The opposite is every offence ticketed or summoned to court. Every car a day overdue tax seized. Treat every no licence on driver as being unlicensed and seize the car. Every public order incident prosecuted.

If that were to happen you'll be longing for the days of discretion.

There is the point though that based on current levels of compliance, a zero tolerance system would snarl up the justice system, but that a zero tolerance system is precisely the cure for that. Because people would stop taking the piss.
    e.g
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-banned-motorists-driving-licences-surrendered-2020-5298982-Dec2020/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No I don't agree with privatising the police force however corrupt and inept they may be. Aren't there some places in the UK where they have the police tendered out to g4s?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

foreign wrote: »
    Common, made-up reasons used by narcissists and psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Victor wrote: »
    Common, made-up reasons used by narcissists and psychopaths.

Read this beauty, vomit enducing, particularly the bit we're she's a front line worker. More holes in this story than Swiss cheese

Journalist who put this sh*** together should consider a new career.

https://extra-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/extra.ie/2020/12/27/news/real-life/frontline-worker-gardai-car-in-tears/amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16094184615556&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fextra.ie%2F2020%2F12%2F27%2Fnews%2Freal-life%2Ffrontline-worker-gardai-car-in-tears

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

In Germany you have the Polizei and the Ordnungsamt.
    Ordnungsamt will be the ones giving you fines for small stuff normally but Polizei can do that also. It leaves the Polizei free for the important task of proper Policing.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/ordnungsamt/

Advertisement