Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do I need to get playing a VR game with my kids.

Options
  • 23-12-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I got directed to this forum by one of the moderators so here is my question.
    Been trying to make sense of whats out there in the area of simple family friendly VR games. I am starting from scratch. I have looked at options that are available and the Oculus Quest 2 looks to be the most suited ( I think ) to what I want.
    Firslty. I want to be able play a VR game with my kids. What do I need. Clearly more than one headset. Can you get multiple headsets that can connect to each other with one master one? Does the console part of the game sit in a box, plugged into the wall and the headset is just wirelessly connected to it? Do I need a PC? Seems not with Quest 2?
    In short, starting with nothing, wanting to play a VR game with 3 of my kids. What do I need to buy and what is a rough guide price for everything?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The quick answer is that 3 Quest 2s are probably what you need . Currently you cant add multiple VR headsets to one PC (and about 99% certain that the PS4 or PS5 wont either) , so usually to do what you want is 3 quests or quest 2as they will work as standalone games vr-machines.T hey'll connect to your wifi and see each other that way, , the downside is that you need a separate Facebook account for each headset , and if your kids are under 13 it gets tricky , (officially they cant create a Facebook account , and the workaround of letting them login to the quest with yours wont work if you're using it as well .
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ivw8cr/facebook_account_required_what_about_children/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah the Quest 2 is "easiest" to get into VR (no PC required and cheapest overall for a top-notch experience), but the Facebook requirement really is the killer if your kids are young.

You can always create an account using an adult's Facebook account though? Just bear in mind that if the kids do anything online that might be considered anti-social then the account can be banned!

Pain in the nuts tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Thanks for replies folks. Tell us. Is the headset then locked to a given facebook account or can you do factory reset and set it against a different facebook account?
    About to make the jump here and get two of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks for replies folks. Tell us. Is the headset then locked to a given facebook account or can you do factory reset and set it against a different facebook account?
    About to make the jump here and get two of them :)

They'll be allowing you to use multiple Facebook accounts on one headset soon.

There's actually something in the experimental features menu with the current update that lets you enable this option but I'm not sure how to actually add the additional account. Perhaps I need to use the oculus app on a family members phone for example and add the headset to their app.

Advertisement