Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British to Renege of NI Protocol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

indioblack wrote: »
    Hardly surprising with the vague, elliptical responses I've received. Follow the sequence of posts. No reference to the eradication of populations or famines in the sub continent by me. My initial post was a response to an accusation of ignorance of an entire population.

The majority who voted for Brexit were completely ignorant of what it meant. That is why almost 5 years down the line the British are breaking international law again.

What is your problem with that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

The majority who voted for Brexit were completely ignorant of what it meant. That is why almost 5 years down the line the British are breaking international law again.

That wasn't the statement. Read it again.

Tinytemper wrote: »
    You're out of your depth, poor thing. :)
    Good thing your here to enlighten me then isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tinytemper

Good thing your here to enlighten me then isn't it.

Sure is. You're welcome. :)

That wasn't the statement. Read it again.

I did and i agree with it. The people who voted for Brexit (The majority) were ignorant on many levels. Leaving the biggest single market is a matter of opinion, but not realising the implications of their vote was certainly ignorance. They quickly found out and are almost 5 yrs trying to get what they want. They are now proposing to break international law again making them a rogue nation.

• Advertisement

Tinytemper wrote: »
    Sure is. You're welcome. :)

Thanks.

Thanks.

:)

I did and i agree with it. The people who voted for Brexit (The majority) were ignorant on many levels. Leaving the biggest single market is a matter of opinion, but not realising the implications of their vote was certainly ignorance. They quickly found out and are almost 5 yrs trying to get what they want. They are now proposing to break international law again making them a rogue nation.
    I would hope that the principle of adherence to the rule of law is something most people would agree on.
    I voted to remain and believe, as you have said, that many who voted leave didn't appreciate the full implications of exiting the EU. I would like to be proven wrong about this, but most indicators so far are not positive.
    The poster claimed that the entire population was ignorant. That was what I objected to. I understood the thrust of the post, but this is a forum - and words have meanings.

I would hope that the principle of adherence to the rule of law is something most people would agree on.
    I voted to remain and believe, as you have said, that many who voted leave didn't appreciate the full implications of exiting the EU. I would like to be proven wrong about this, but most indicators so far are not positive.
    The poster claimed that the entire population was ignorant. That was what I objected to. I understood the thrust of the post, but this is a forum - and words have meanings.

He/she clearly indicated they were talking about 'those who voted to leave.' as you advised yourself...read it again.
    Unfortunately we are next to a landmass who consists of people so ignorant that they're voting to leave the biggest single

He/she clearly indicated they were talking about 'those who voted to leave.' as you advised yourself...read it again.

:pac: The young lad is having a bad day, leave him alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Big treaties have been torn up before. Leaving that aside. Boris is great.

"consists of people so ignorant" That's the entirety of the population. Words have meanings. Don't begin to make your point with words so obviously incorrect.

"consists of people so ignorant" That's the entirety of the population. Words have meanings. Don't begin to make your point with words so obviously incorrect.

Sentences have meaning...read the whole sentence. You are doing a Brexiteer thing here...separating out what you want to hear and ignoring everything else. Again....
    Unfortunately we are next to a landmass who consists of people so ignorant that they're voting to leave the biggest single..

I'm sure I don't really need to do this, but I will anyway...I can take the first bt of this sentence and claim that it is a vindication of the Nazi's.

The Nazi's were great
    // at exterminating people.

Sentences have meaning...read the whole sentence. You are doing a Brexiteer thing here...separating out what you want to hear and ignoring everything else. Again....

I'm sure I don't really need to do this, but I will anyway...I can take the first bt of this sentence and claim that it is a vindication of the Nazi's.

The Nazi's were great
    // at exterminating people.
    I'm not a Brexiteer.
    Your example doesn't read right however it's approached. The history of the Nazis would see to that.
    "The people are ignorant". That's the premise. All of them. Not the majority. Not the majority of those who voted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

So why did that same "ignorant" majority give the Conservatives a whopping mandate a few months ago?

Could it be they aren't as you put it "ignorant" but just want to leave the EU come what may.

So why did that same "ignorant" majority give the Conservatives a whopping mandate a few months ago?

Could it be they aren't as you put it "ignorant" but just want to leave the EU come what may.

Because Boris sold them a pup. A WA agreement that was 'oven ready' and a vctory. They bought that one too...now look.

Emerging in the UK papers tonight that Boris and the Tories knew that the WA tied them in, but they sold it to the masses anyway. It is time the majority supporting this charade and these rogues, informed themselves. I.E. become less 'ignorant' to what is actually going on.
    They are more than entitled to leave, but don't leave on the basis of lies and manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Semantics Indio. Consists of does not necessarily describe the whole but the constituent parts.

I refer to leave voters.

The clue is in your first sentence D. Because they're the ignorant majority.

I'm not a Brexiteer.
    Your example doesn't read right however it's approached. The history of the Nazis would see to that.
    "The people are ignorant". That's the premise. All of them. Not the majority. Not the majority of those who voted.

I have no idea what you are, but you are behaving like a Brexiteer parsing the poster post the way you are. You just ignore the second part of the sentence and you spectacularly missed the point of the Nazi example.
    Here is another sentence which if you subtract the second part changes the meaning....

The Irish nation consist of people who are wonderful // at begrudgery.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Semantics Indio. Consists of does not necessarily describe the whole but the constituent parts.

I refer to leave voters.
    Good.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you are, but you are behaving like a Brexiteer parsing the poster post the way you are. You just ignore the second part of the sentence and you spectacularly missed the point of the Nazi example.
    Here is another sentence which if you subtract the second part changes the meaning....

The Irish nation consist of people who are wonderful // at begrudgery.

Do you need to know what I am? I've not made any of this personal.
    Your second example works.

Do you need to know what I am? I've not made any of this personal.
    Your second example works.

Poster has clarified.
    Nothing personal, but you jumped to a conclusion by parsing what he said...disingenuous debating at the end of the day.

Poster has clarified.
    Nothing personal, but you jumped to a conclusion by parsing what he said...disingenuous debating at the end of the day.
    As you say, it has been clarified. Clarity is key.
    No intention of being disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Interestingly there was a story in today's online Guardian (no friend of Johnson's government) that suggested that the EU have moved somewhat this week to backtrack a little on their demands over the UK's fish and over the sequencing of talks. So maybe the UK's shock tactics have actually worked a bit from their perspective. (By the way for the avoidance of any doubt I don't agree with their Trump-style negotiating antics).
    The EU has already moved on fish and moved no further as a consequence of UK's actions. The UK's antics have only made trust in the UK evaporate "trust us, you don't need to keep an eye on us - there is no need for rules for us- you can trust us" isn't going to work anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

The outstanding Tony Connelly Rte Europe editor, has another brilliant piece on the rte website this morning. Can't post link as I'm on my iPad but nevertheless very revealing stuff. He has great contacts in Brussels and is one of the best journalists in Europe full stop.

New Era wrote: »
    The outstanding Tony Connelly Rte Europe editor, has another brilliant piece on the rte website this morning. Can't post link as I'm on my iPad but nevertheless very revealing stuff. He has great contacts in Brussels and is one of the best journalists in Europe full stop.

He's mentioned in the British media a lot too and is held in extremely high regard there.

I see a lot of reference to the GFA mentioned in all this but how does it effect our economy, GFA aside? That's all that should really matter to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

New Era wrote: »

Hi Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tiger20

All this reminds me of a sketch in Monty Pythons life of Brian......what have the Roman's ever done for us? Great film. Which is exactly what I was thinking about this situation and the consequences of Britain on our island. As I sit here in my Man Utd top, watching Eastenders, eating my Tesco sourced provisions, I was wishing that if only those f"#cking Brits would just f"#k off, cease to exist, mind their own business or whatever, then all our problems would disappear overnight!

But then I thought about it. Throughout our history with them, the reality of the situation is that we were always the tail, and they were always the dog. But now, for the first time ever, being in the EU means we are on the side of the dog! I think that the physiological slow penny dropping realisation of this and their denial of it is what we are witnessing. The Brits cannot accept they are the tail, the EU is the dog, and they dont know how to cope with it

I

• Advertisement

I see a lot of reference to the GFA mentioned in all this but how does it effect our economy, GFA aside? That's all that should really matter to us.

Contrary to what Brexiters think we trade more with Belgium than the UK. Ireland's not dependent on trade with the uk.

Advertisement