Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Not to alarm people but that would tie in to a loose link to HIV.
    That was suggested early on by the Indian experts as a reason to suggest that it was a manufactured virus. They had to redact that. But it looks like the fact remains.
    Ebola was loosely linked to HIV too and it looks like drugs that treat HIV may have an effect on Covid 19.
    The side effects of this may be reduced fertility in people even though they might never show any effects or symptoms from contracting the virus.

It looks like HIV, Ebola and Covid 19 are all the one family.

Sorry but that’s pure bull.
    Carona is a spherical virus where as Ebola is a distinctive “shepherds crook”
    They are very different genus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It won't be solved here and I couldn't care less about winning a debate.
    But it clicked with someone to use drugs that were used for hiv/ebola and they worked. The Chinese are now currently testing them on Italian patients.

I know I'll anger some. But we're bigger than all that.
    As ye were with the stats and figures and advice on what to expect and what should be done in advance. But in all fairness the country looks it might be heading for total lockdown.
    So advice on wills or ai services/getting a bull might be too late. There could be a total lockdown for the next month announced any hour and we'd just have to roll with it. That's probably upsetting people too. And sure I'll be accused of "I told you so". :rolleyes: That's not how I roll Suckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What lockdown looks like is Spain. If you're out you can only be at work, or getting shopping or medicines. The guards, civil defence, army will tell you, go home.

I think I heard on the radio, that a point to point was held in Cork today, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Aravo

Am keeping to ourselves here. Maintain social distancing. Looking out for yourself is also looking out for others. Maintaining mental health is also very important. To cease contact with grandparent's is difficult especially for grand children. Today we built a small pen in garage and got 2 pet lambs. Feeding these will keep the little ones occupied. Clearing an area, getting materials, building pen setting up light, took a few hours. It was as good for me as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Water John wrote: »
    What lockdown looks like is Spain. If you're out you can only be at work, or getting shopping or medicines. The guards, civil defence, army will tell you, go home.

I think I heard on the radio, that a point to point was held in Cork today, FFS.

There were lads road bowling down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It's a weird sensation around the place. Looking down on the main road and its eerily quiet. I have to be very careful about my movements because of mother was sick a few years ago. Plenty of practice with self isolation because of lambing though :D

Someone in my local village (<300 people) has tested positive

Was in prague recently at a stag,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Potential human and animal drug shortage looming as production in China hasn't ramped back up as yet. Not free article in the link, I think?

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/potential-animal-drug-shortages-being-monitored-532730

Just on the point about potential drugs being used to fight Coronavirus
    https://twitter.com/davidasinclair/status/1238972083864027137?s=19

And risk of those with diabetes, hypertension, cancer etc versus the average person is 4 times higher of needing hospitalization, ICU and unfortunately death.
    https://twitter.com/nataliexdean/status/1234240216807989260?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

All you have to do yourself is look.
    I'm not making it up.

Maybe search for yourself before going on the attack.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-repurposed-treatments-drugs

I'd reread that article if I were you.
    It says SARS and MERS were the same family. It only said there were antiviral drugs for HIV and ebola which were worth looking at on the basis if they worked approval could be gotten quicker than a new drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A new born baby tested positive for corvid 19, minutes after being born in the UK.
    The mother had pneumonia symptoms when admitted days before the birth.
    It's the youngest case recorded.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/newborn-baby-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-london

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd reread that article if I were you.
    It says SARS and MERS were the same family. It only said there were antiviral drugs for HIV and ebola which were worth looking at on the basis if they worked approval could be gotten quicker than a new drug.

To err is human..... to post a link to the information you've come across is divine.

I noticed the chit-chat, but it's largely on-target so there's no point getting too upset over it.
    I'd just request self-restraint.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ireland is now ranked 21 out of 195 countries for cases per million population. By comparision China is at number 18. Italy is way out ahead at number 1.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aphextwit

Get lemonade, spare pyjamas, some simple food and a thermometer.

That was the advice from a coronavirus patient, speaking on RTÉ's This Week radio programme.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0315/1123371-patient/
    "I took to the bed, I knew before I got the result that it was Covid-19 because the window for seasonal flu had passed.

"I was desperate to go to the bed, I just had to go to bed, it was calling me. The only place you can be when you're sick is in bed.

"I got some lemonade, some paracetamol and a thermometer, and just went to bed for the next three days.

"I didn't want to eat. My husband, who came up with a scarf around his face to stop being infected from me, brought me some yogurt and honey, which was about all I could bear.

"On the third day I had some chicken soup, which was fabulous, but I didn't really want to eat because your mouth feels like sawdust.

"It is very similar to the flu, but it seemed to be longer and slightly more severe, which makes sense because none of us have any immunity. So it was on par with the flu but worse."

Dr Gerada did not suffer any breathing difficulties, which are common in people with an underlying medical condition, or among the elderly.

"I am not in a risk group because I have no underlying health problems, but if you do have underlying health problems, or if you're elderly then you have to be careful," she said.

"I also knew that even though my breathing was harder I wasn't having any lung problems. But people who do get lung problems, especially if they're getting breathless, they need to seek help."

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ireland is now ranked 21 out of 195 countries for cases per million population. By comparision China is at number 18. Italy is way out ahead at number 1.

That figure is going to explode come Wednesday. Today is the first proper day of widespread testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Will banks and post offices close?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will banks and post offices close?

The way things will work is places will adopt good pratices and and carry on but if a case occurs in proximity then individual businesses will be affected.in practice clonakilty branch might close but bandons still open or maybe the.mortage dept will close fror 2 weeks etc.its all about isolating cells.thats if we implement the current strategy properly. If we dont then ......

• Advertisement

The link below from the Journal will link to what's happening in different areas as regards Coronavirus. They seem to be non subscriber but I haven't checked them all.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/coronavirus-mart-and-farming-updates-as-they-happen-533953

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I came across a post on Facebook where a dairy farmer is using the leftover wipes that come with dry cow tubes as hand wipes. It could be worth a look around the dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

A man that used to work with me has been rushed into intensive care. Never smoked or drank. Mid twenties, self employed goat farmer.
    As hard a young man as I’ve ever seen.

Be careful folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

New York Governor Cuomo, very measured. 17% of positives require hospitalization. So if 60% get the virus, one in ten of the pop will end up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Macron is addressing the nation later on this evening. Everyone (commercial business etc) expecting a total lock down from tonight.

Waiting on diesel and supplies to be delivered and they’re talking about at least a 15day wait/backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

https://www.facebook.com/Vox/videos/208375013870074/?d=null&vh=e

Very good explanation on the origin of SARS and the coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.facebook.com/Vox/videos/208375013870074/?d=null&vh=e

Very good explanation on the origin of SARS and the coronavirus

It’s a good watch.
    Hopefully these markets are closed for good and aren’t let go underground either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I don't think I could watch that. I've only seen clips on twitter and couldn't finish them. They're absolutely vile. The gall to come here then inspecting our beef farms etc. Remember they're behind the poaching of endangered animals in Africa for the most part too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

People like us working in an outdoor environment. How much at risk are we and what precautions can be put in place
    Obviously minimise travelling and dont share cars
    Washing hands and being conscious of what you touch and who else has touched it.
    Im not up to speed on the viruses abolity to survive outside in our climate

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »
    People like us working in an outdoor environment. How much at risk are we and what precautions can be put in place
    Obviously minimise travelling and dont share cars
    Washing hands and being conscious of what you touch and who else has touched it.
    Im not up to speed on the viruses abolity to survive outside in our climate

I think it can survive 8 to 12 hours on a surface outside such as ATM machine,door handle etc,so ive been told by a nurse friend working in cork.

Hence the absolute mantra of wash hands repeated over and over

Its by all accounts,coated in fatty type tissue and soap and water will break it up....tbh im thinking of mixing.basin of soapy water for the folks when cleaning counters this evening

Advertisement