Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Drumcondra Station will be on the Kildare-GCD DART
    A new station at the wasteground on Sackville Avenue would be served by the Maynooth/M3 - Docklands DART.

I'd imagine DART expansion only caters for new stations at Heuston West, Cabra and Glasnevin
    Adding 2 more stations may be a post 2030 job, or a shelbyville idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Only reason I'd think a Ballybough/North Strand station is even possible is that the line will effectively be closed once Metrolink construction starts. The line will just be sitting there while Glasnevin station is being built, so I'd assume (or at least hope) that they'd do the electrification of the line at the same time. It'd be possible to build a station in that time, but as you say cgcsb, I'd assume that it's a long shot at this stage if they haven't already started planning it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Colm McCarthy with a refreshing original article in the Farmers Journal this week about the notion of spending €3bn on a "partly underground tram" that services Dublin Airport and one suburb, both of which have express busses through the parallel Port Tunnel.

However, he does make up for it by giving full backing to BusConnects, especially in light of the fact that one of the gardens to be CPO'd is his own (the front garden of an apartment block).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

cgcsb wrote:
    Drumcondra Station will be on the Kildare-GCD DART A new station at the wasteground on Sackville Avenue would be served by the Maynooth/M3 - Docklands DART.

Are you sure?

Looking at the recent NTA map on the DART expansion, it looks like maynooth line going via Drumcondra, with the tunnel services via the Midland line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Happened as part of the North Dublin/GDA transport study which decided that "optimised" Metro North was a better solution.
    There are a few docs on line if you search for them - here is one
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fingal_North_Dublin_Transport_Study_Final_June_20151.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

cgcsb wrote: »
    Drumcondra Station will be on the Kildare-GCD DART
    A new station at the wasteground on Sackville Avenue would be served by the Maynooth/M3 - Docklands DART.

I was at a recent meeting in Croke Park for the local residents. The GAA said that a station cannot be built on Sackville Ave as it is too small a space and too close to the stadium. They said that you could only build a station at least 500 meters from the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was at a recent meeting in Croke Park for the local residents. The GAA said that a station cannot be built on Sackville Ave as it is too small a space and too close to the stadium. They said that you could only build a station at least 500 meters from the stadium.

have they never been to Lansdowne Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And as we've learned from the Na Bhfianna debacle, what the GAA says is law.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »

have they never been to Lansdowne Road?

They did not build the station near the stadium at Landowne Road, they built the stadium next to the station.

I think Na Fianna missed a trick - they should have said - 'Please build the station on our ground, but the station must be called Na Fianna' . For evermore, everyone would know where Na Fianna's ground was, even tourists on their first visit to Ireland. It would be a huge boost for the club.

I think station naming should be looked at - for example, the Glasnevin station should be called Whitworth. Glasnevin is the graveyard, and the Botanic Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

I think station naming should be looked at - for example, the Glasnevin station should be called Whitworth. Glasnevin is the graveyard, and the Botanic Garden.

I think Cross Guns would be a better name tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Qrt wrote: »
    I think Cross Guns would be a better name tbh.

Actually, I'd agree it does sound good. Glasnevin is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Cross Guns sounds good alright. Glasnevin junction was the original name given to this proposed interchange in 2005 when MN was undergoing route selection. A proposal that came during a meeting with MN consultants and interested parties. My favourite part of ML is this particular part because the value of Glasnevin junction was finally realised. I hope IE play ball if the TBM gets in the ground.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Cross Guns sounds good alright. Glasnevin junction was the original name given to this proposed interchange in 2005 when MN was undergoing route selection. A proposal that came during a meeting with MN consultants and interested parties. My favourite part of ML is this particular part because the value of Glasnevin junction was finally realised. I hope IE play ball if the TBM gets in the ground.
    It has a reasonably good chance of happening now that it's all NTA driven. Much more likely than with competing organisations trying to agree on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Actually, I'd agree it does sound good. Glasnevin is just wrong.

It's not actually - go and look at the old OSI map from 1888-1913 at http://map.geohive.ie/ and you'll see that the area where Glasnevin Junction is located is actually shown as part of Glasnevin. Hence the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It's not actually - go and look at the old OSI map from 1888-1913 at http://map.geohive.ie/ and you'll see that the area where Glasnevin Junction is located is actually shown as part of Glasnevin. Hence the name.

And it's across the road from where Glasnevin train station used to be.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20G/Glasnevin/IrishRailwayStations.html

Place names move. 1913 is over a century ago. Glasnevin Avenue used be called Ballymun Avenue. The locals wanted it changed for some reason.

Place names move. 1913 is over a century ago. Glasnevin Avenue used be called Ballymun Avenue. The locals wanted it changed for some reason.

Really?

Road name changes may change, but are a different kettle of fish to townlands.

Townlands don't change.

I'm not saying your suggestion doesn't have merit, but to say that that area is not part of Glasnevin is wrong and that map proves it.

Really?

Townlands don't change.

I'm not saying your suggestion doesn't have merit, but to say that that area is not part of Glasnevin is wrong and that map proves it.

It'll always be Glasnevin Junction to me.:D

Really?

Townlands don't change.

OK, Shannon Airport was in the townland of Rineanna, and the airport was originally called after the townland. Dublin Airport was called Collinsown after the townland but renamed later.

So names do change over time. You can check the OS maps to see what the airports were called in 1913.

OK, Shannon Airport was in the townland of Rihanna, and the airport was originally called after the townland. Dublin Airport was called Collinsown after the townland but renamed later.

So names do change over time. You can check the OS maps to see what the airports were called in 1913.
    *Rineanna. I sincerely hope that was a phone autocorrect. :D

Indeed, but there is only one airport in both and it's easier for those unfamiliar with the area to call it by its served area. People from Kerry call Kerry Airport Farranfore, people from Cork call Cork Airport Ballygarvan and people from Donegal call their airport Carrickfin, Galway Carnmore etc.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    *Rineanna. I sincerely hope that was a phone autocorrect. :D

Indeed, but there is only one airport in both and it's easier for those unfamiliar with the area to call it by its served area. People from Kerry call Kerry Airport Farranfore, people from Cork call Cork Airport Ballygarvan and people from Donegal call their airport Carrickfin, Galway Carnmore etc.

Well, Glasnevin is known for the Met Eireann office, the Botanic Gardens, and the cemetry. The Metrolink station is over a km away. It needs a different name.

Well, Glasnevin is known for the Met Eireann office, the Botanic Gardens, and the cemetry. The Metrolink station is over a km away. It needs a different name.
    Dalcassian Downs, part of which was to be CPO'd for this station, is Glasnevin: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/court-hears-man-with-38-previous-burglary-convictions-used-the-dart-and-luas-to-case-homes-846005.html

The Brian Boru Pub, which is where the station will be, have their address as 5 Prospect Road, Glasnevin, Dublin 9: http://www.thebrianboru.ie/contact/

It seems Glasnevin to me anyway.

It needs to get built first. We'll worry about the name when they are putting the boards up.:D We could even throw a curve ball and name it after the people who came up with routing a Metro through it.:eek:

It needs to get built first. We'll worry about the name when they are putting the boards up.:D We could even throw a curve ball and name it after the people who came up with routing a Metro through it.:eek:
    Would you like to do us the honour of putting in a FoI for the names of the people on the Metrolink design team so we can get to work on that speculation here? ;)

Ah Sam stop digging - you may not know that location as part of Glasnevin but I'm afraid it is part of it, whether you view it or not.

As I said before - the station can be called whatever the NTA wish, but telling me that it is not located in the area that it legally is, is daft.

marno21 wrote: »
    Would you like to do us the honour of putting in a FoI for the names of the people on the Metrolink design team so we can get to work on that speculation here? ;)

Ah Marno, the FOI request would only throw up names for the sake of it!;) They are officially on the ML design team I suppose, yet not really.:D

But in these modern times Cross Guns and its difficult Irish translation would be acceptable. The location is perfect under the current Metro proposal. That's in no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Clontarf Road station is a similar one. Obviously in its meant to refer to "the road to clontarf" but gets shortened reguarly to "Clontarf" which every estate agent selling in Fariview/Marino uses to blur the lines. Always wondered why it wasn't called Fairview dart station.

Limerick Junction was one that always confused me as a child. Always thought the locals of Tipperary Town were short changed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

Ah Marno, the FOI request would only throw up names for the sake of it!;) They are officially on the ML design team I suppose, yet not really.:D

But in these modern times Cross Guns and its difficult Irish translation would be acceptable. The location is perfect under the current Metro proposal. That's in no doubt.

Na Gunnaí Chrosáilte or Crois na Gunnaí (insert applicable tuiseal guinideach here)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The Clontarf Road station is a similar one. Obviously in its meant to refer to "the road to clontarf" but gets shortened reguarly to "Clontarf" which every estate agent selling in Fariview/Marino uses to blur the lines. Always wondered why it wasn't called Fairview dart station.

Limerick Junction was one that always confused me as a child. Always thought the locals of Tipperary Town were short changed on that one.
    Well in fairness Tipperary Town does have its own station. Limerick Junction is useful in telling people to change here for Limerick on non direct services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

It's not!!

The proposed station about 300m from the walls of the cemetery and around 200m more would have you in the entrance at the gravediggers.

Advertisement