Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’m afraid to ask but where is this project now.

Are we with ABP yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes, as is DART+ West, DART+ Southwest, and 9 of the 12 Core Bus Corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They talk nonstop about sustainability, yet the m50 is an ocean of traffic .... yet this probably won't get built... nothing hut stall and delay tactics. Tunbridge fee euro headlime newshound, government decisions to cost the Irish raxpayer billions of euro in delaying infrastructure projects? Not a word about it..

how many public consultation will there be on the colour of the metro carriages?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ivan Yates said on radio during the week he heard from TII that they’re anticipating the oral hearing in Spring 2024.

The positive is that TII seem to be full steam ahead with procurement in the background so shouldn’t be any delays once it’s approved

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Once it gets built, it will be an instant success.

There will be calls for Metrolinks for every parish in the country, and every city will demand one right away.

It’s a pity they didn’t see this backlog coming and resource ABP appropriately to reduce the backlog or god forbid actually speed up the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah it's very shortsighted to finish it in Charlemont.

We should think about what the city and transport and human work and behavior will be like in 50 years.

Most of the development land in the city center is about to be used up.

We need to just get on with it now and get the damn thing built.

Repeatedly redesigning it means more time lost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In fairness, Seamus Brennan wanted a Swords to Shanganagh metro. Along the Harcourt line from Charlemont to where it met the current Rosslare line.

The current Minister for Transport was against the natural southside routing in favour of some pie in the sky crayon drawings so we have to do with what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah I know.

I actually think it'll be great for the city and will definitely be built this time.

I don't foresee a huge crash coming in next few years and we've plenty of money for it.

I think it'll do wonders for Ballymun and to the area just north of it.

I can see loads of apartments going up and lots of young professionals moving in to Ballymun and other amenities will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I have actively engaged with relevant authorities, politicians, and stakeholders over the past decade regarding the Metrolink infrastructure project in Dublin. I hold reservations about its prospects for realization. It appears that Minister Ryan, the leader of the Green Party and a member of the government, is actively attempting to impede the project's progress. His public statements, including those on social media platforms such as Twitter, indicate a potential inclination towards delay.

Considering the Green Party's positioning as advocates for public and sustainable transport, their lack of support raises concerns about the project's future. In light of the high projected costs, which are expected to make it the most expensive infrastructure undertaking in Irish history, the question arises as to whether other political parties, such as Fianna Fáil (FF) or Fine Gael (FG), will prioritize its advancement. The track record of these parties, particularly in the context of the controversial handling of the children's hospital project, adds to the skepticism surrounding their commitment to executing large-scale initiatives successfully.

While I hold strong reservations about Sinn Féin (SF), encompassing their policies and leadership, they appear(still unlikely but less so than the others) to be the only viable alternative for advancing the Metrolink project. It is important to acknowledge that this conclusion stems from a practical assessment rather than an endorsement of SF's political ideology or approach. Unfortunately, given the socio-economic demographics of North County Dublin, characterized as a working-class area, it is unlikely that we will receive the backing of mainstream media outlets such as the Irish Times.

In summary, despite my personal biases and concerns regarding various political entities, the realization of the Metrolink project hinges on navigating political landscapes, garnering support from key stakeholders, and ensuring adequate funding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Where has he been angling for a delay?

He was acting the massive bollix before he was in govt about the metro, but I think he's been fine since.

SF are overwhelmingly more likely to can the project than the current govt - my fervent hope is that construction has started before the next election. I have no idea what you are basing this on - SF would stop the entire project as a stupid sop to the tenants of the Markievicz apartments in a heartbeat. I'd be worried no matter what the makeup is tbh, I really hope this gets a greenlight before we have to worry about political change.

It is apparent from the tweets mentioned that the individual in question is strongly emphasizing and advocating for extensive modifications that cater to the southern section. Such a focus raises concerns about potential delays and a probable halt to the project. As a prominent figure in the Green Party and a member of the government, it would have been expected that they had proactively addressed these matters earlier, prior to the current stage of development. Reading between the lines, it appears that the Green Party's commitment to infrastructure and the greater good has shifted, now primarily favoring their own district or parish

Trust in parties such as FF and FG is minimal, given their history of deception over many years. However, when a party claims to prioritize the welfare of the citizens and yet fails to actively work towards achieving positive outcomes, it becomes a significant concern. And the SF shitshow doesn't bode well either.

As a quick reminder -The Metro North project in Dublin was first proposed and officially announced by the Irish government in 2005. At that time, it was identified as a key transportation infrastructure project to address the increasing demand for public transportation in the city and improve connectivity to Dublin Airport and the northern suburbs. The initial plans included a new metro line extending from the city center to Swords, with multiple stops along the route. Since then Luas Green, red and cross city have been built and are working and still this so called green party leader still wants his cheese for his southside constituents. Hopefully when the Green TD for north county Dublin, the Fingal hide and seek champion 2020 to 2023 get removed they might take the northside more seriously.

Yes, he was acting the bollocks before he was in government with his stupid crayon drawings.

He's done nothing much but quietly (if frustratingly slowly at times) progress the project since. Share something since he was in government, and ideally in the last year or two, if you want to be taken seriously.

I hope your right. Personally I am less convinced -The Green Party's participation in the government from 2007 to 2011 and 2020 to 2023 provided them with opportunities to influence policies and advocate for their priorities, including the Metro North(metrolink) project which is exactly what they were voted in for, both times they got into bed with dogs and in order to swallow this bitter pill the hope was they would do some good. And yet here we are, two randomers talking dreams. No Metro in any form for the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

What are you on about? Metrolink has been submitted to ABP for approval. The plans pass almost exclusively through the Northside.

Seamus brennan was possibly the only politician in recent decades that I had any respect for...

• Advertisement

Metro North obtained planning permission from AN BORD PLEANÁLA in 2011, but after 12 years, no Journeys have been accomplished on the intended route. If we consider the adage "history repeats itself," and as I am feeling particularly insightful today I predict that ABP will announce planning approval around the time the next election is announced, and unfortunately, MetroLink will face a similar fate as Metro North, due to a sequence of unfortunate events.

145,000 cars a day on the m50... all the greens are interested in is doing stuff that annoys people, not giving people a chance to get off the m50 etc with a viable alternative. The emissions the m50 facilitates must be staggering...

But the next iteration of it will be the perfect one.. zero objections, zero compromises etc... they must just be choosing to ignore ilthat option now... LOL!

Yes, unfortunately, I agree with you. There seems to be a significant lack of proper planning to accommodate car drivers. I personally experience this issue as well. I reside in Swords and commute to Citywest. The journey takes me only 30 minutes by car at 6 am, whereas using public transport would extend the travel time to a whopping 2 hours. This is a common story among many commuters, and it highlights why any delay in enhancing public transport before restricting car usage can be counterproductive. From a personal standpoint, I initially believed that the green party, once in power, would vigorously push for these upgrades. However, it appears that their effectiveness has been compromised due to weak leadership and ineffective communication, resulting in a decline in public support for sustainability efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Small country logic. Ah shure we’ll be grand with busses, or maybe everyone could just hop on a bike - everyone will be driving in the future anyway. By the time the scheme is complete, the population of Dublin will be up near 2M and the annual ridership through Dublin airport will be past 40M. These are big city numbers and we need a public transportation system that can facility growth, not impede it.

Says it all. Himself there putting obstacles in MetroLink’s progression to appease local NIMBYs in his constituency and blaming it on Fine Gael road spending.

If he spent half the time he spends on his obsession with roads and obstructing him on actually working on public transport development we might be in a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Ryan was following the advice of the independent review on Metro North. The original plan to replace Luas Green with Metro was found to be a waste of money, with no significant increase in service provision compared to simply running more trams on the existing Luas, but knock-on costs due to collapse of ridership on the section of Luas Green line between Stephen's Green and Charlemont. It was a bad use of scarce public money.

This pointless replacement of an existing service was a long-standing criticism of the original Metro routing. Ryan's failure was not that he cancelled it, but that he has failed to start any planning for a better alignment to extend Metro once it gets going, because as soon as it's in service, those NIMBYs will shut up and the public will demand an extension and a second line.

What "independent review"?

The Green line upgrade was an exceptionally cheap means of quadrupling capacity. It will also almost inevitably happen at some point as the green line will remain deeply oversubscribed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't know of any review that came to this conclusion, and every scrap of info related to Metrolink has been picked over in great detail on this thread.

While I disagreed with Ryan's crayon drawing of potential routes, once he's been minister, he has done everything needed to advance the project, even shooting down talk of other routes. It's not his fault that our legal and planning system is set up to delay everything.

• Advertisement

This - I would agree with you.

Since he’s been Minister almost every single project has progressed to ABP.

The vast majority of the delays have been down to unrealistic timelines by the NTA and indeed in Metrolink’s case the discovery of the sewer at the Grand Canal that meant a redesign.

Advertisement