Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrote a song for a girl, before i send it to her can I protect it somehow?

• 24-05-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

As the title says I wrote a song for a girl. I have sent her many covers of songs before that I like and she loves them but this is my own song and I want to send it to her.

Should I protect my copyright or something before I send it in case the relationship goes tits up. If I upload it to youtube is it copyrighted? I don't want anyone making money off it. not that they will but you never know!

Oh and if I upload it to Youtube, can I edit it later on and add a video does anyone know or will I have to re-upload a new video?

Comments

• If i were you I’d get legal advice before sending it to her

Maybe get your solicitor to send the song to her solicitor

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Try this link:

https://www.imro.ie/music-creators/music-creator-faqs/

It explains the copyright process. Hopefully it’ll answer your question.

EDIT: ...and there’s more info in the sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

You can record it and mail it to yourself via registered post and keep the receipt. Unless it's the new Wonderwall, I wouldn't worry too much about people stealing it to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it will be the new Wonderwall:) But it would break my heart if I heard it on an advert for insurance or something. From what I read online, posting it to yourself doesn't offer any more protection than the time stamps on the files themselves. I will probably upload it to Youtube and see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

breadbin wrote: »
    ...posting it to yourself doesn't offer any more protection than the time stamps on the files themselves. I will probably upload it to Youtube and see what happens.

From what I've read (IIRC), the self-addressed envelope proves in writing that you owned the copyright on that song from the period it was posted.

I always think it's better to have it in writing to be on the safe side ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

KevW24601 wrote: »
    From what I've read (IIRC), the self-addressed envelope proves in writing that you owned the copyright on that song from the period it was posted.

I always think it's better to have it in writing to be on the safe side ;)

as long as you never open it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

How trustworthy is this girl? haha. The age old question. You could upload to spotify or iTunes and send her the link. then theres a record that the song existed there before she runs off to make her millions and a record that you sent it to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

FionMc wrote: »
    How trustworthy is this girl? haha. The age old question. You could upload to spotify or iTunes and send her the link. then theres a record that the song existed there before she runs off to make her millions and a record that you sent it to her

It is 3 years later. He has probably sent it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

It is 3 years later. He has probably sent it by now.

I believe she has only got the first verse as an engagement present.
    The whole song will be presented to her after the wedding but in strict accordance with the pre-nup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement