Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Days Gone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm excited for it.
    I'm in the mood for this type of game too as I've been playing what I class as the sleeper hit of the year in World War Z

Did you play left for dead? L4D 1 is my favourite multiplayer of all time. And WWZ looks very much like it. Gonna hold off till the summer before deciding on it anyway. Been watching Black Summer on Netflix to get me in the mood. Even though that got poor to average reviews, I'm loving it, scares, action, suspense all the way through. TWD could learn a few things from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did you play left for dead? L4D 1 is my favourite multiplayer of all time. And WWZ looks very much like it. Gonna hold off till the summer before deciding on it anyway. Been watching Black Summer on Netflix to get me in the mood. Even though that got poor to average reviews, I'm loving it, scares, action, suspense all the way through. TWD could learn a few things from it.

Absolutely, I've played L4D 1&2 for years.

WWZ does some of its own stuff. Shooting hundreds of zombies with a RPG during a wall pill up never gets old!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Media embargo ends at 1pm Irish time today so should be lots of videos if you're looking for some proper clips.

Whuh?? I thought the reviews weren't until the day before release. Its not out until Friday

ERG89 wrote: »
    Whuh?? I thought the reviews weren't until the day before release. Its not out until Friday

I think it means YouTubers and the like can stream it but reviews have to wait til Thursday.

Early players had the 1.02 day one patch but reported some bugs and glitches. A new update released yesterday 1.03 and is a hefty 17gb to fix 'bugs and localisation issues'

• Advertisement

I said I wouldn't watch any more videos but this is fairly impressive. I thought the snowy parts in trailers were from regions up north but this video shows it starts snowing and overtime, the landscape becomes covered in snow. I read thunderstorms can also change the landscape making roads muddy but this is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I assume the weather changing will affect how your bike handles etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can you pre load yet? how big is it? still unsure if I'll wait or get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can you pre load yet? how big is it? still unsure if I'll wait or get this.

Pre-load will start Wednesday (always 48 hours before release). Think I read the install is about 67GB, but I think there's a pretty substantial Day One patch too as per Zero-Cool's post above.

• Advertisement

Why the need to preload a digital game I will never understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

so you're good to go at 00.01 on launch day. It's insanity but I do it myself.
    nothing better than launching and being met by a 5 gig patch which on PS can take anything from a few minutes to an hour to sort out depending on what mood it's in.

this one really interests me but I'm obsessed with the division and just got the original borderlands last week (a fall back as I was horrified when my internet went down and couldn't log on) so it's on the backburner for now, pending reviews.

It's more so having a wee bit of patience and waiting for an accumulation of reviews which might give you better idea if you are on the fence over it :)

yeah you'd think after being burned so many times I'd have learned my lesson but TLOU2 and Borderlands 3 will be getting pre-ordered whether they like it or not.

Pre-order bonuses are getting really annoying. There's three versions on PS for BL3 and I'll need to get the most expensive one for the season pass, the middle one just has a load of cosmetic gunk. My least favourite things are xp boosts and early access though.

I'll be getting the physical release once I make that decision. One of the biggest exclusives of the year so Argos should have it.

The hype train has definitely taken off tho, led by Zero Cool who's already caught a few stragglers :D

I guess I could get it and then blame Zero if it turns out to be a disaster.

I'll be getting the physical release once I make that decision. One of the biggest exclusives of the year so Argos should have it.

The hype train has definitely taken off tho, led by Zero Cool who's already caught a few stragglers :D
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    I guess I could get it and then blame Zero if it turns out to be a disaster.

2b9qva.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's more so having a wee bit of patience and waiting for an accumulation of reviews which might give you better idea if you are on the fence over it :)

There are just always games I know I'm going to get, especially sequels to games I loved where I know they can't f*ck it up so badly that I'm not going to want to play it the day it comes out anyway. Take MK11 for example. I love the MK games, especially what they do with the single-player story modes. Even then it's always fun to just pickup and play, take on a few towers whenever I'm bored with nothing else to play. This game, it seems there's a lot of outcry over them making getting customisation options a much bigger grind than ever before (and having way more customisation items to make it even worse), and making some of the towers damn near impossible to make you use/lose consumables.

But, story mode and the pick up and play things are why I'm getting it. The grind for customisation options doesn't interest me (bar some fatalities/brutalities, but you can still find/use the inputs without unlocking them), and because of the backlash they were receiving in reviews and online, they announced yesterday they'll be fixing/adjusting from day one. So I'm still glad I pre-ordered, pre-loaded, and will be ready to rock with it when I get home from work.

Same with Days Gone. I knew it was going to be a pretty solid 8/10 at least and is the type of game that really appeals to me. I'd no hesitation with taking a punt on pre-ordering as I knew it was extremely unlikely it'd end up getting slaughtered in reviews, even if it's not being hailed as a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

:confused: So you can play it on release day and not have to wait for a download?

:confused: So you can play it on release day and not have to wait for a download?

I think Fred means preorder a digital game? As in, they are not gonna run out of stock so why preorder? That's what I took from it anyway and like Gimli said, of you know you're gonna give it a go day one, nicer to have the 70gb download done and out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The older I get the sillier it all seems. My Friday lunch break when I was in college or on a summer job was a trip into Dublin to head to smyths to pick up the latest release I wanted. Now I'm happy to wait as it could be years before I even get around to playing the game!

There hasn't been an issue with sold out games in years and there's no such thing as rare game releases anymore as those small releases are now released digitally. I don't see much point in pre-ordering. I've down the whole digital pre-order/load thing but find by the time the game comes out I'm too tired to play it :)

In a similar way Retro, I find I have more time to talk about games than actually play them :) I love some release day hype though.

If people want to wait for reviews, then that's grand but I ain't waiting for a review for Endgame and won't be waiting for this. If either disappoint me (I doubt either will), I'll get over it..... Except Spiderman 3, I'll never get over that disappointment :(

Also, for trophy hunters, this will have a counter for trophies like 'collected X of X things', confirmed on this Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/PS4_Trophies/status/1120456397299310593?s=19

I hate that tbh if it's ever present, won't be so bad if it's pop up

It turns the game into a checkbox exercise

I hate that tbh if it's ever present, won't be so bad if it's pop up

It turns the game into a checkbox exercise

I think it's a menu you can look at in the options, completely ignore it if not for you but handy for people going for the platinum. Looks like an easy enough platinum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Pre-order completed (€20 GS trade-in offer). Bring on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Pre-order completed (€20 GS trade-in offer). Bring on Friday!

I bought Hitman 2 on Amazon 2nd hand for €21 so just traded that in....if I don't like this its going towards Judgement in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

My pre-order is purely based on that cheap GS deal. I'll be picking it up on the way home from work on Friday - it'll be the first time I think I've ever gotten a game on release day. The backlog in the PS4 isn't overly huge so I don't feel bad picking this up and adding to that backlog.

I suppose my concern is this being really hard when you get swarmed by a horde. What are the impressions from the YouTubers and there like who've played it so far?

Yes....YES...Everyone preorder!!!

From what I read, there are 40 hordes on the map which range from 50-500 freakers. The story has you take on a small number, the rest can be encountered at different parts of the map. The endgame has been described as you becoming a 'horde killer' as you will have the skills unlocked required to help take them on. They are meant to be almost impossible early on as early play testers were wiping then out so devs upped their AI and difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd give a few weeks, maybe months for the devs to fix the game and make positive changes.

Judging by new game releases that launch in poor condition it will only be a few weeks until the game is slashed in price and in the bargain bins.

Best to play the waiting game and save some €.

Advertisement