Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I'm from a midlands town. Summer didn't stop anything. When I was young, you knew everyone and everyone knew you. The population of my hometown hasn't increased much although there are plenty of new faces now, but that sense of being observed is pretty much gone now.

I'll give an example. I lost my virginity in the woods behind my school, and someone saw us. When I arrived home that day, my parents were sitting at the kitchen table with a large box of condoms along with a speech on personal responsibility. Not the basic birds and bees story but an introduction into STDs and how my life would be ruined by an unplanned pregnancy. They didn't ask me not to have sex again.. they simply asked me to "man up". Take responsibility.

I grew up in the NW UK and whilst you'd see the bullies, they could be ignored a lot of the time. Did see one whilst swimming who thought it was funny to push me in, my dad saw her and threatened to drown her!

Your parents sound amazing btw - absolutely the right way to deal there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

iptba wrote: »
    Maybe not a clear-cut example of anything except it sounds like women may be chosen over men next year.

A lot less important than when full-time jobs are given out but the same forces may apply.

If that's one of the topics, I would expect more male than female experts though I am no expert on the topic.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/macgill-summer-school-director-apologises-for-gender-imbalance-1.3537147
    I saw this was trending today #InspireFest
    They make a big issue about being "diverse" and supporting females.

https://twitter.com/lizadonnelly/status/1009737809652015104
    https://twitter.com/raju/status/1009741654918684673
    https://twitter.com/WWCodeBelfast/status/1009814573195628545

So, is a "balanced panel" now going to be - woman, black woman, Aisan woman, gay woman, transwoman and token man (preferably F-M trans) ????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Middle Man wrote: »
    The issue of misandry among frontline feminists.

is this an issue?

an issue for whom?

lawred2 wrote: »
    is this an issue?

an issue for whom?

The rest of us women for one - we are thankful for the changes in attitudes, laws etc - we have the ability, possibilities and opportunities to achieve EVERYTHING men can.

Are some women willing to make sacrifices ? No.

Are some women happy to play the victim and blame the non-existent patriarchy ? Yes.

Are there women see men as the enemy and who do not want equality but want to have special treatment and advantages afforded only to them and not to men ? Damn straight.

There's the misandry right there.

• Advertisement

The rest of us women for one - we are thankful for the changes in attitudes, laws etc - we have the ability, possibilities and opportunities to achieve EVERYTHING men can.

Are some women willing to make sacrifices ? No.

Are some women happy to play the victim and blame the non-existent patriarchy ? Yes.

Are there women see men as the enemy and who do not want equality but want to have special treatment and advantages afforded only to them and not to men ? Damn straight.

There's the misandry right there.

but sure people the world over have their issues - just let them at it

I still don't see how it's a problem for me

but sure people the world over have their issues - just let them at it

I still don't see how it's a problem for me

Well, personally speaking I was told just last year that as a woman I shouldn't care about gay rights.

A friend was marrying someone from a country that does not yet have equal marriage. I said it was wrong that they are legally married here but not in the other country. Married is married.

In fact, being gay can be a criminal offence in a neighbouring country I believe.

"Who cares ? How is that helping our cause ?"

Told her it was helping equality. "Snort.. (well she snorted but you get my drift!).. and that stops sexual violence towards women how ?"

I need a new job. Bitches be cray cray.

Well, personally speaking I was told just last year that as a woman I shouldn't care about gay rights.

A friend was marrying someone from a country that does not yet have equal marriage. I said it was wrong that they are legally married here but not in the other country. Married is married.

In fact, being gay can be a criminal offence in a neighbouring country I believe.

"Who cares ? How is that helping our cause ?"

Told her it was helping equality. "Snort.. (well she snorted but you get my drift!).. and that stops sexual violence towards women how ?"

I need a new job. Bitches be cray cray.

Is she not concerned about her gay sisters?

either way she's clearly unhinged - so I wouldn't get too upset

Is she not concerned about her gay sisters?

either way she's clearly unhinged - so I wouldn't get too upset

Oh I can care about lesbians - but not gay men apparently!!!!

Cheers for that, she is unhinged!

Was just listening to the TED radio hour on Newstalk. They played excerpts of a TED talk by someone who called herself a “bad feminist” because she didn’t always stick to some things feminists espouse e.g. listens to rap, likes men to do certain types of work (e.g. mow the lawn, put out the trash).

Anyway her main job is as an English lecturer. She was making a point about identity and how everyone has an interesting story to tell and how she tells everyone to write about what they know, in the creative writing class, except white men. It was jarring the way she added that. An odd world where you can basically brag about being prejudiced. No tough questions from interviewer.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/WCDC2018/status/1011188792894656513
    This is the Mary Robinson who was previously our president.

"Man" is ambiguous here.
    But if the claim is that men cause environmental problems, it has occurred to me that women may be a bigger cause of clothes pollution which from what I hear is a significant environmental issue.

"Man" is ambiguous here.
    But if the claim is that men cause environmental problems, it has occurred to me that women may be a bigger cause of clothes pollution which from what I hear is a significant environmental issue.

It's more of the usual cop out like as if women had no control/influence or involvement in world affairs before gaining their rights, and even then, they'll find a reason to avoid responsibility.

And no, I wouldn't see "man" as being ambiguous. The media has made enough of a fuss about the distinction between man and woman for the last two decades, for anyone trained in media releases to be that generic. Nah. Don't buy it. She's playing to the gender crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

well if science was turned over to feminists the global economy would crash fairly quickly so it might be a plan

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the only reason websites / conferences /services are pandering to becoming a hub and a space for women is that they are pandering to advertisers who figured out women are more likely to click ads and also are responsible for most consumer spending.

when you find a company/website being 'female oriented' 'pro woman' or 'inclusive' you can bet your ass it's funded by advertising or trying to sell consumer goods that are form over function / promotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

"Man" is ambiguous here.

And no, I wouldn't see "man" as being ambiguous. The media has made enough of a fuss about the distinction between man and woman for the last two decades, for anyone trained in media releases to be that generic. Nah. Don't buy it. She's playing to the gender crowd.

That's a big media issue to the few people like yourselves who are mired in gender politics. Everyone else would know exactly what is meant by 'manmade' 'mankind' huMAN' 'HIStory'.

I always saw Mary Robinson as a fairly straight forward person. The idea that she's using a speech on climate change to simultaneously blame the whole problem on men is silly. But it does show how some people can get bogged down in all this gender stuff. You seem to see it everywhere.

I always saw Mary Robinson as a fairly straight forward person. The idea that she's using a speech on climate change to simultaneously blame the whole problem on men is silly. But it does show how some people can get bogged down in all this gender stuff. You seem to see it everywhere.
    Just a reminder to anyone who missed it that it was Mary Robinson in the quote who said “Climate-change ... needs a feminist solution”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just a reminder to anyone who missed it that it was Mary Robinson in the quote who said “Climate-change ... needs a feminist solution”

What , just sull at the iceberg till it asks what it did wrong by melting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Months ago, I posted in a different thread that the impact of this was more or less zero in the "real world", outside of the venomous confines of the Internet.

A couple recent episodes I recently witnessed, including a couple of ladies at work nonchalantly stating that "men shouldn't have been allowed to vote" in the abortion referendum, tell me this is unfortunately changing for the worse.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Months ago, I posted in a different thread that the impact of this was more or less zero in the "real world", outside of the venomous confines of the Internet.

A couple recent episodes I recently witnessed, including a couple of ladies at work nonchalantly stating that "men shouldn't have been allowed to vote" in the abortion referendum, tell me this is unfortunately changing for the worse.

Pretty much. With Social media, and the ease in which people use their phones to access the internet, there is no clear division between the internet and the RL. All of these discussions, messages, etc are spilling over into the RL and being commented on by people. It probably doesn't help that mainstream media is so interested in encouraging such ideas with their "opinion" pieces.

Oh, Ireland is still far behind, in terms, of "normal" people with these viewpoints, but it's really common to encounter these attitudes abroad both in Europe and beyond.

Pretty much. With Social media, and the ease in which people use their phones to access the internet, there is no clear division between the internet and the RL. All of these discussions, messages, etc are spilling over into the RL and being commented on by people. It probably doesn't help that mainstream media is so interested in encouraging such ideas with their "opinion" pieces.

Going a bit off topic, this is becoming a bigger and bigger issue in many situations as people unquestioningly accept what comes from established medium, think what they're told to think and believe what they're told to believe. This was already a problem when the "established mediums" were made of professional news outlets with obligations and a code of conduct to respect, now that any number of "village idiots" can shout their views to a vast audience...society is in a pile of poop.

I've made a mental note to myself to never, ever engage in "live" discussions about controversial public topics, as it's a complete dead end and a recipe for utter disaster - no matter how researched, documented and elaborate your argument is, you're against the "well, TV/Internet says it is that way, so you shut up!" attitude.
    Oh, Ireland is still far behind, in terms, of "normal" people with these viewpoints, but it's really common to encounter these attitudes abroad both in Europe and beyond.

Good point - I've posted this as well, about a year ago I stumbled on one of these "Day against domestic violence" threads on a friend's Facebook page. All well and good, until somebody replied to her that "domestic violence" is not exclusively perpetrated by men on women...to which she replied "Men who get beaten by women have no balls and deserve it, probaly they enjoy it!". The reply had quite a few likes to it too. Yay.

• Advertisement

Going a bit off topic, this is becoming a bigger and bigger issue in many situations as people unquestioningly accept what comes from established medium, think what they're told to think and believe what they're told to believe. This was already a problem when the "established mediums" were made of professional news outlets with obligations and a code of conduct to respect, now that any number of "village idiots" can shout their views to a vast audience...society is in a pile of poop.

I've made a mental note to myself to never, ever engage in "live" discussions about controversial public topics, as it's a complete dead end and a recipe for utter disaster - no matter how researched, documented and elaborate your argument is, you're against the "well, TV/Internet says it is that way, so you shut up!" attitude.

Good point - I've posted this as well, about a year ago I stumbled on one of these "Day against domestic violence" threads on a friend's Facebook page. All well and good, until somebody replied to her that "domestic violence" is not exclusively perpetrated by men on women...to which she replied "Men who get beaten by women have no balls and deserve it, probaly they enjoy it!". The reply had quite a few likes to it too. Yay.

Does anyone recall a Coronation Street storyline where a woman (the ageing brain tells me she was in the police ?) was beating up her male partner.

Apparently the actor playing the victim said most of his online responses were from women accusing the storyline of "deflecting from real abuse".

Horrific.

Ah, I heard this type of thing too. I also heard people say the gay marriage referendum was nothing to do with them so they didn’t intend to vote.

I’m going to assume you didn’t actually say the obvious thing that I said to my parents in law about both the 8th amendment and gay marriage referenda. It’s not about whether you personally intend to have an abortion or marry a gay, it’s about the laws and rights I want people in my country to have.

Funny, when my parents in law said gay marriage was none of their business I didn’t assume that the gays were part of a conspiracy to take over. I assumed it was ignorance of the issue. And I’d assume your colleagues were similarly ignorant of the point if the referendum.

Does anyone recall a Coronation Street storyline where a woman (the ageing brain tells me she was in the police ?) was beating up her male partner.

Apparently the actor playing the victim said most of his online responses were from women accusing the storyline of "deflecting from real abuse".

Horrific.

Likewise I pointed out a story on Corrie where s man was drugged and raped which I thought was good because it highlighted the experience of a male rape victim.

But the reaction wasn’t positive, instead it focused on the fact that the perpetrator was Male implying that men are always the perpetrators. No matter how much you try to do good, some people will always try to see the good point to see the bad. It’s just the way some people are.

Ah, I heard this type of thing too. I also heard people say the gay marriage referendum was nothing to do with them so they didn’t intend to vote.

I’m going to assume you didn’t actually say the obvious thing that I said to my parents in law about both the 8th amendment and gay marriage referenda. It’s not about whether you personally intend to have an abortion or marry a gay, it’s about the laws and rights I want people in my country to have.

I the specific case I investigated and the idea behind "men shouldn't be allowed to vote on abortion" was the belief that most would vote "NO", because they weren't "touched" by the subject matter, couldn't understand it, or maybe due to some dumb tribal hang-up about "spreading our genes". Because you know, you never heard of men who actually happen to have sisters, partners and female friends they care about, nor of ones who understand the difference between "rights" and "denying rights for my own sake".

Funny, when my parents in law said gay marriage was none of their business I didn’t assume that the gays were part of a conspiracy to take over. I assumed it was ignorance of the issue. And I’d assume your colleagues were similarly ignorant of the point if the referendum.

There is no connection to the two situations - your parents in law expressed disinterest towards something they thought didn't touch them. While it IS an ignorant position as it's got potential do deny people of rights and opportunities just because someone couldn't be bothered taking their asses away from the TV for an hour, it was their own decision, right or wrong.

If on the other hand, if you had a gay person saying that "straight people shouldn't get to vote on this!", due to a wacky belief that non-gay individuals wouldn't understand the importance of the subject or just vote against due to spite or prejudice, it'd mean something completely different. It would essentially imply a victim complex ("they're against us"), a moral superiority complex ("we know what's right, they don't") and an assumption of lack of intelligence and insight ("they can't understand") bases SOLELY on sexual orientation - or, in the case I mentioned, on being born with a willy.

This IS discrimination in its purest form but still it isn't the crux of the issue, nor is any fantasy about "conspiracies". The real issue is that society is now conditioned to selectively fail to recognize discrimination based on which people or group(s) the end targets are.

I the specific case I investigated and the idea behind "men shouldn't be allowed to vote on abortion" was the belief that most would vote "NO", because they weren't "touched" by the subject matter, couldn't understand it, or maybe due to some dumb tribal hang-up about "spreading our genes". Because you know, you never heard of men who actually happen to have sisters, partners and female friends they care about, nor of ones who understand the difference between "rights" and "denying rights for my own sake".

There is no connection to the two situations - your parents in law expressed disinterest towards something they thought didn't touch them. While it IS an ignorant position as it's got potential do deny people of rights and opportunities just because someone couldn't be bothered taking their asses away from the TV for an hour, it was their own decision, right or wrong.

If on the other hand, if you had a gay person saying that "straight people shouldn't get to vote on this!", due to a wacky belief that non-gay individuals wouldn't understand the importance of the subject or just vote against due to spite or prejudice, it'd mean something completely different. It would essentially imply a victim complex ("they're against us"), a moral superiority complex ("we know what's right, they don't") and an assumption of lack of intelligence and insight ("they can't understand") bases SOLELY on sexual orientation - or, in the case I mentioned, on being born with a willy.

This IS discrimination in its purest form but still it isn't the crux of the issue, nor is any fantasy about "conspiracies". The real issue is that society is now conditioned to selectively fail to recognize discrimination based on which people or group(s) the end targets are.

Both things are the same to the extent that the solution is the same for both. Whether they thing men shouldn’t vote because they can’t have an abortion, or people think they shouldn’t vote because they’re not gay, the answer is the same.

Everyone is entitled to vote because it’s a question if the rules you want your country to have. Whatever way someone misinterprets that fact, that’s the salient point.

I often joke but at old people shouldn’t be allowed to vote when they get too old because they vote for retrograde policies. I don’t think it should actually be enacted because I know everyone has a right to vote whether I agree with them or not.

https://twitter.com/purplecat24/status/1017416408706060288

In case it's not clear, the ratio is 3:1. And this wouldn't be some traditionally heavily male-dominated field: it's about fundraising for charities

This was an ad in my twitter feed today:
    https://twitter.com/theprogressives/status/798166646040985601?s=11

The Socialists and Democrats Group in the European Parliament works for social justice & equality for all EU citizens.

http://www.socialistsanddemocrats.eu/new-meps
    The S&Ds are proud to have 189 MEPs representing all 28 EU countries and (almost) equal numbers of men (55%) and women (45%).

We are still the second largest group in the European Parliament and our MEPs work in all parliamentary committees and international delegations. Find out more about your MEPs and which policy areas they're working on.
    Irish representative:
    CHILDERS Nessa

Wording like this by a mainstream group usually suggests feminism. I just thought it was a bit interesting that they would use this as their selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

https://twitter.com/purplecat24/status/1017416408706060288

In case it's not clear, the ratio is 3:1. And this wouldn't be some traditionally heavily male-dominated field: it's about fundraising for charities

I wonder would she be even more pleased if it was evenly balanced, i.e. 2:2. :rolleyes:

givyjoe wrote: »
    I wonder would she be even more pleased if it was evenly balanced, i.e. 2:2. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the backlash as the three women are white.

• Advertisement

The dramatic improvement in women’s representation at the Gate Theatre is particularly striking. In just two years the proportion of female directors increased from 8 per cent in 2006-15, to 80 per cent in 2017-18, and writers increased from 6 per cent to 33 per cent , under its new artistic director Selina Cartmell.
    Some adopted gender blind readings or casting, unconscious bias training for staff, gender equity on boards, 50 per cent of new play commissions for women writers, or a commitment to gender balance in programming within five years.

Yes we did: Irish theatre’s gender-equality revolution
    Irish theatre came out blazing this week, proving that gender equality is ‘not hard to do, if you want to’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/stage/yes-we-did-irish-theatre-s-gender-equality-revolution-1.3563784
    The aim seems to be in some cases more to help women than gender equality per se.

If one wants to use percentages, which are a blunt measure, the denominator matters. For example, if two women apply for a position and one gets it, while 10 men apply for a position and one gets it, the outcomes may suggest equal results, but a smaller percentage of men who applied got the position than the percentage of women who applied.

Advertisement