Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC Radio Megathread

Options
  • 09-04-2017 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭

I've starting listening to BBC radio 2 due to IMO Irish radio having gotten worse.

The BBC radio app that is now available in Ireland helps a lot.

My question is what BBC radio station do other members of the radio forum listen ?

I've really liked Sara cox covering for Chris evans this week on breakfast. She has a very cheerful demenor at 6am in the morning.

And I listened to Chris moyles when he was of that parish. Grimmy not so much.

Scott mills is very good also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've starting listening to BBC radio 2 due to IMO Irish radio having gotten worse.

The BBC radio app that is now available in Ireland helps a lot.

My question is what BBC radio station do other members of the radio forum listen ?

I've really liked Sara cox covering for Chris evans this week on breakfast. She has a very cheerful demenor at 6am in the morning.

And I listened to Chris moyles when he was of that parish. Grimmy not so much.

Scott mills is very good also.

When I'm in the car if I've no podcast to listen to and I have exhausted my Spotify playlists then I usually turn on BBC R1 via TuneIn. They just have better presenters in general I think than Irish radio. No ads either which is good. Better mix of songs too most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

5 Live is great for news and sport. Radio 4 if you like documentaries. These days I've started listening to the World Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Radio 4, excellent current affairs and comedy. R6 for excellent new and older alternative music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Itssoeasy wrote: »

R4 for news and documentaries 5live for sport and R2 for Johnny Walker's Sound of the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I listen to Radio 4 in the mornings and Radio 6 for music. Both are excellent.
    Radio 6 in particular. I've heard music both new and old that I'd never hear on Irish radio.
    No advertising is great too. You don't realise how much you are being bombarded with advertising until you switch to BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

BBC radio ulster is quite good i like listen The Nolan Show, Good Morning Ulster, Talkback, Kerry McLean, Evening Extra,Across the Line,The Mickey Bradley Record Show, and Gerry Kelly.

BBC radio Manchester Allan Beswick's Late Night Phone-In.

BBC radio 2 Huey Morgan, Ken Bruce, Paul Jones, Jamie Cullum, Tony Blackburn, and Pick of the Pop sounds of 70

BBC radio 4 Today and Six O'Clock News.

BBC radio 5 5 live Investigates, 5 live sport, 606, and 5 live Drive

in no orderi like a bit of mix

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What I like about the BBC, besides the whole thing being as slick and polished as you'd like is that none of the channels step on each others toes in what they put out. I mean if you tune into BBC Radio 1 you know what you are getting. You're not going to be taken by surprise by something.

Just in case it sounds like I've only just started listening to the BBC I haven't. It's just the bbc radio player app has made it much easier to listen to.

Also I've had a chance to listen to up all night on 5live and Rhod Sharp is such a pro. I love the thing he does on the hour when he gives the time in different time zones and has a bit of a spiff about a certain place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Radio 4 Extra has some gems from the extensive BBC Radio Comedy and Drama archives. If you have any interest in that, it's the place to go (and they can be replayed on the Radio IPlayer is available in Ireland, thankfully).

Outside of that, a bit of Radio 2, 6Music, Radio 4, 5Live and Radio 1 in that order.

Sorry I meant to say I'm in love with BBC radio Wales and Eleri Siôn is a goddess and her accent is like silk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I do a lot of work/driving in the north and pretty much always end up listening to BBC Radio 4. Great current affairs, drama and comedy. BBC's programming is genuinely diverse and engaging. I cannot listen to RTE as I find it so painfully insular and introspective in terms of Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I listen to the Today show on Radio 4 every morning. I like Eddie Mair's PM show from 5pm - 6pm, no waffle like on the Irish equivalents. At the weekends I enjoy Radio 6 to educate me on a lot of music I wasn't aware of. I need to be armed with my Shazam app! Lastly, I listen to footy on 5Live in my car via my VPN. Great service. I don't listen to Irish radio at all any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Love it, ever since some Dublin Pirate relayed BBCR1 back in the late 90s from morning to afternoon - Zoe Ball/Sara Cox/Moyles, Marc & Lard such quality radio back then.

I got an internet radio over 10 years ago (Logik IR100, still going strong), and discovered R4, comedy and current affairs without peer.

Used to always listen to the commentary on 5Live via MW/AM too, and still to this day will choose that over Today/Newstalk via VPN.

I'm more of a 6Music and R2 man nowadays though, but still listen back to the odd Essential Mix if the dj is interesting.

World Service is also great for quirky stories from anywhere, especially when comforting a sick child in the small hours or something.

Yeah, the good ol' Beeb knows how to do radio, make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

BBCR2 pretty much all the time. Have an internet Radio at home, and when in house during day have it on, also if out in car, often travel towards Enniskillen or Derry and will return once I can pick it up. Occasionally listen to R4, and sometimes R5Live. R5 sometimes also broadcast on the red button with the TV cameras, and will watch listen to that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've been a fiend for BBC 5 Live since last September. (You can make your own judgement as to what event in Irish radio led me to make that switch)

Sarah Brett and Nihal are quality in the afternoons, Breakfast is what I want from a current affairs breakfast show - a mix of decent coverage and a not overly serious tone (except when required) and 5 Live Daily is brilliant. I'm not a massive fan of Adrian Childs, but he's listenable, and Emma Barnett is fantastic. As mentioned earlier, Up All Night is great too if I'm having trouble sleeping (that's not a dig, I literally mean if I can't sleep, I'll turn it on to keep me entertained).

I listen to R1 at the weekends if I'm looking for some background music, and occasional snippets from R4, mostly the comedy stuff.

What I love about the BBC stations is the production values are so high. It always feels like everyone knows what they're doing. It helps that they've no advert breaks, I didn't fully realise how restrictive they were until I started listening to NewsTalk and 5 Live back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

wnolan1992 wrote: »

What I love about the BBC stations is the production values are so high. It always feels like everyone knows what they're doing. It helps that they've no advert breaks, I didn't fully realise how restrictive they were until I started listening to NewsTalk and 5 Live back to back.

Everyone except Zoe Ball when she tries to do Popmaster on Radio 2 (filling in for Ken Bruce). I happened to hear her first time years ago, when it went to a tiebreak. She hadn't a clue what was happening and it was quite obvious that production values were non existent. Ever since then when there is a tie break, she has a mini nervous breakdown.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2062679/zoe-ball-popmaster-disaster/p2

And predictably, while BBC presenters are in the main being lauded here, UK forums are full of diatribes railing against them being juvenile/irritating/obnoxious/boring/biased or whatever you are having yourself. And of course questioning their value for money. Just the way of the world I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Best thing about the BBC Radio App is that virtually every programme is available as a podcast - Brain of Britain is right up there with University Challenge and Mastermind in the quizzing stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Best thing about the BBC Radio App is that virtually every programme is available as a podcast - Brain of Britain is right up there with University Challenge and Mastermind in the quizzing stakes.

And Round Britain Quiz running since 1947. One for the cryptic crossword types like myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Radio 4, for the most part. I wake up to Today. Commuting is podcasts as I don't want to listen to hacks and TDs on Morning Ireland. I wind down to Radio 4 as well, World Tonight, etc. Used to listen to Gardeners' Question Time on Sundays. Apart from that, Moral Maze, Broadcasting House and documentaries, I sometimes listen to the World Service. Don't really listen to it during the middle of the day or early evening. Fairly addicted to 4. :)

I really miss Tony Livesey in the evenings.

Dotun though, the man is brilliant for the night shift at the weekend, and the callers in to the Football show he does are all kinds of bizarre wonderful people.

• Advertisement

And Round Britain Quiz running since 1947. One for the cryptic crossword types like myself.

BoB, RBQ and Counterpoint are great quizzes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm listening to very little radio these days but Radio 4 Extra is always worth keeping an eye on (ear on?) for some comedy and offbeat stuff like Neil Innes

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2142007/radio-1-studio-tour

Some of the lads here who are radio anoraks might like this, there is a link above to a tour of radio 1 and 1 extra of the BBC using google maps. It looks like someone had a blank cheque and asked what the DJs wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I tune in to a few BBC podcasts:

BBC World Service/Global News Podcast (listen to most days)
    5 live's Football Daily (can be painful at times but normally nod off to this)
    Front Row (haven't listened to an ep in a while but it's a well produced show)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

BoB, RBQ and Counterpoint are great quizzes.

Having a look for Brain of Britain on Pocket Casts but not finding it :confused:

looie wrote: »
    Having a look for Brain of Britain on Pocket Casts but not finding it :confused:

look for Radio 4 General Knowledge Quizzes, that updates with whatever of the three is currently running.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Quite like Today on R4. Then R6 onwards, especially Radcliffe and Maconie in the afternoons. Just love the broad spread of music and have discovered many new artists to listen to

An interesting video done by chris moyles talking about the radio 1 breakfast show from 1981 onwards. And he talked to them all bar chris evans who refused to talk about his time on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Thanks for starting this thread itsoeasy. I downloaded the radio iPlayer app and have been listening to a lot of BBC radio since then. Lots of Radio 1 and Radio 4 mostly, although I have listened to a small bit of 6Music too. Far ahead of anything we have here due to the sheer diversity of content and production​ values.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've listened to BBC radio since working in the UK in the early 2000s. I bought an internet radio that's now pretty much glued to BBC 6 Music and listen on the daily commute to Radio 4 (after finding Irish shows lacking in appeal and with long sports news and/or adverts). I have become bizarrely addicted to 'Yesterday in Parliament" on Radio 4 LW at 08.30. I love it.

Eddie Mair is also a great presenter on PM, always ready with a quip that brings a bit of humanity and life to the show. The recent interview series with the late Steve Hewlett about his journey dealing with throat cancer was both inspiring and heart-breaking. Again, plenty of humour amongst the pain. You really couldn't imagine auld Mary Wilson dealing with that subject on a one to one level with anywhere near the level of humanity.

Advertisement