Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French books

Options
  • 02-01-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

I've recently been trying to teach myself french. Previously did it at school, but the little toerag I was paid little attention back then, much to my regret.

Anyways, I recently read through a book in French on my Kindle and now I'm seeking others. I know the classics i.e. Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo's books can be had on Amazon for free, but the few pages of each I read I found very heavy going compared to the first book a read.

I'm trialling Kindle Unlimited for a month so have the full Harry Potter series. I know the story but hopefully the French would be easier to follow as they're children's books.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Le Petit Prince

See if you can find comics books like Spirou, Gaston etc
    And of course a fav on mine - Valérian et Laureline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

biko wrote: »
    Le Petit Prince

See if you can find comics books like Spirou, Gaston etc
    And of course a fav on mine - Valérian et Laureline

I found Le Petit Prince pretty heavy going.

I agree with comic books absolutely. They're great for learning, the pictures take care of descriptions so you're only dealing with dialogue and again the pictures help with comprehension.

Tintin is a fav, also Blake Et Mortimer. Moebius too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You can also search for "Parallel Text" books, where the french is on one page and the (word for word) English translation is on the facing page. I have a couple of penguin short story collections this way and its very helpful and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Bandes desinees - comics.

The text tends to be brief and simple. And they're fun.

You can download them from amazon. large selection good prices.

Advertisement