Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite QT Shower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

Had a Triton 90SR pumped shower fitted at the weekend. So far it has been excellent. Very silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Had a Triton 90SR pumped shower fitted at the weekend. So far it has been excellent. Very silent.

Was your previous shower portrait or landscape? Ours is portrait, so I don't know what difficulties a fitter would have replacing a portrant shower with a landscape one!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

cyndale wrote:
    Was your previous shower portrait or landscape? Ours is portrait, so I don't know what difficulties a fitter would have replacing a portrant shower with a landscape one!

Your shower should be fully tiled behind. If this is the case it's usually not a big deal to change from mira to triton. We find that we can swap 2 out 5 mira elite for triton t90sr. Concrete walls can be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Glad i found this thread! My old Mira Elite 2 shower died last week and ive been looking for a replacement. I was going for the Mira Elite QT but wont be doing that now.

If my reading of the thread is right im looking for a Triton T900pi or in the UK the same shower is called T80si pumped and this would be a direct swapout for the Mira elite 2 for plumbing and electrics.

My wall is tiled up to the shower and just a hole in the wall behind it. But the triton seems big enough to cover this up.

goodlad wrote:
    If my reading of the thread is right im looking for a Triton T900pi or in the UK the same shower is called T80si pumped and this would be a direct swapout for the Mira elite 2 for plumbing and electrics.

Yes. The only reason triton have this model is to make it easy to change from mira.
    I have yet to find a t80si pumped cheaper in the UK than a t900pi over here, even with the sterling difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So got my T80 si pumped installed last month and all was fine but just today the shower head keeps dripping. Reading up seems like might be the solenoid valve. Anything else I could rule out before buying the part?.

Joshua J wrote:
    So got my T80 si pumped installed last month and all was fine but just today the shower head keeps dripping. Reading up seems like might be the solenoid valve. Anything else I could rule out before buying the part?.

It is the solenoid. If it's the si pumped rather than the t900pi I'm guessing that you have no warranty. It could be a small bit of dirt stopping the solenoid from closing. Leave it for a few more showers and the dirt may wash away. Failing this you can remove the solenoid valve and rinse it under the tap.
    Did you get a good deal on the triton t80i pumped? Where did you order it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It is the solenoid. If it's the si pumped rather than the t900pi I'm guessing that you have no warranty. It could be a small bit of dirt stopping the solenoid from closing. Leave it for a few more showers and the dirt may wash away. Failing this you can remove the solenoid valve and rinse it under the tap.
    Did you get a good deal on the triton t80i pumped? Where did you order it from?
    Ordered off Amazon about €200. Yeah no warranty, knew the dangers took the risk. Local shower fella wanted near €400 for Elite QT installed, too much and the QT ain't great. I'll try what you say, is this the right part if that fails?.

Joshua J wrote:
    Ordered off Amazon about €200. Yeah no warranty, knew the dangers took the risk. Local shower fella wanted near €400 for Elite QT installed, too much and the QT ain't great. I'll try what you say, is
    400 Euro. You need to move to Dublin. :)
    Joshua J wrote:
    if that fails?.

It's the right part. If you need parts for your shower in the future look for t900pi parts. Exact same shower.

This thread has been running almost a year now (10 months). I know what my experience is of the Mira Elite QT. Not all our clients have complained about it. I'm wondering are there any positive stories about this shower? A lot of my clients are moving away from Mira based on this thread.. Is it a balanced thread? Is anyone out there happy with it? To be fair to Mira some positive stories would be nice???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LadyFighter

New member and my first post

We had a Mira Elite qt installed last May. We were never impressed with it. Sometimes it would make terrible noises. A week ago, the plastic at the back cracked and broke, leaving the shower hanging by the pipe going into the wall. I can't post photos but our shower looks worse than the photos in post 13. We contacted the chap who installed it but he was boarding a plane and wouldn't be in Dublin for the week. He texted me the number of Mira customer care, otherwise known as the shower doctors.

It seemed strange from the get go when we rang. They didn't want to come out to look but wanted photos emailed to them. We’ve been back and forward for 9 days now. The best they would offer was to provide the plastic bit for free and then charge us €90 callout fee to fit it. This didn't seem right to me as the shower has a 2 years’ parts and labour warranty but my husband just wanted it fixed by tonight as we have had no shower in the house for 9 days and guests visiting tonight.

The shower doctors were due to call to repair the faulty shower this morning. We got a call from Barry who installed the shower in May to make sure we were happy with Mira’s repair. He lost it when he heard that 1. we were without a shower for nine days and 2. that they tried to charge us. He contacted the shower doctors but got nowhere with them. He said the girl on the phone had a chip on her shoulder from the start. She refused to give him any contact name or number in Mira UK so he could report the problem. She hung up on him leaving him with no details at all.

When he rang us back he said he wasn't happy with Mira’s response to this and to cancel the shower doctors. He's coming himself this morning with a brand-new Mira free of charge!!!

Here's my opinion of the Mira Elite QT, it's rubbish and their aftersales isn't much better.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHOWER

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

This Mira Elite QT was installed only 3 months ago. Notice all the cracks in the casing in each photo. My advice is stay away from this shower.

In answer to your question, it's a direct replacement for your Mira Elite 2

i looks like the screws have been over tightened. also the shower should not be sealed at the back where it meets the wall. this may cause the shower to overheat and therefore weaken the plastic. see the installation instructions

8. The shower must be fitted to a waterproof, flat and even wall surface. The 3 screws
    (No. 8 x 1¼”) and wall plugs supplied are suitable for most solid wall installations. Alternative
    fixing screws for panel structures are not supplied. Use all 3 fixing points to secure the
    shower unit, be sure to use fixings appropriate for the chosen wall structure.
    DO NOT fit the shower to the wall and tile up to the case or seal the gap between the
    shower and the wall surface with sealant.

http://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/mira/pdf/1265606-w2-a-mira-elite-qt-installation-and-user-guide.pdf

monkeycork wrote: »
    i looks like the screws have been over tightened. also the shower should not be sealed at the back where it meets the wall. this may cause the shower to overheat and therefore weaken the plastic. see the installation instructions

8. The shower must be fitted to a waterproof, flat and even wall surface. The 3 screws
    (No. 8 x 1¼”) and wall plugs supplied are suitable for most solid wall installations. Alternative
    fixing screws for panel structures are not supplied. Use all 3 fixing points to secure the
    shower unit, be sure to use fixings appropriate for the chosen wall structure.
    DO NOT fit the shower to the wall and tile up to the case or seal the gap between the
    shower and the wall surface with sealant.

http://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/mira/pdf/1265606-w2-a-mira-elite-qt-installation-and-user-guide.pdf

Whilst I agree with what the user manual says, in the real world it's not practical & the shower should show some flexibility to reflect this. This is the only brand that cracks & breaks!
    Sometimes Tiles aren't flat on the wall, shower tiled around, huge holes behind the shower, in some cases nothing behind the shower to screw into. These instructions are great when refitting & tiling a bathroom And we follow them to a tee in this case. However when you are employed just to replace the broken shower all of these things are beyond your control. All you can do is the best with what you are facing. Good shower brands give you the flexibility to work around these problems rather than becoming the problem. I have offered to fly to the UK at my own expense to help Mira improve this shower but they aren't interested. The screws included aren't any use for a magnetic screwdriver so most people bin them & use their own screws. Again if Mira talked to the trade they would learn these things.

Anyone fitting one of these open the box. Take out the shower & remove it from the plastic. Now move your finger around the edge of the shower where the back casing meets the lid, particularly around the top. You'll now realize that the cover doesn't match the back casing. This is before you even put it on the wall. This lid will never sit right even on the flattest of walls let alone real bathroom walls.

As for the screws being too tight? we fit over 1000 per year. The breakdown is roughly 50 Aqualisa, 250/300 Mira, 700 Triton & maybe another 50 of other brands. The only showers ever to crack & break on us were Mira Elite 2, Mira Elite ST & now the Mira Elite QT. Even Supajet the most troublesome shower in Ireland & the UK has never cracked. We are not being heavy handed with Mira showers & going lighter with other showers. this doesn't make sense. Also the cracks are showing up not at the time of installation but 9 months later. At the moment it's up in the air as to weather Mira will cover these under their warranty or not. If it was just the odd guy over tightening the screws I'd expect Mira to cover it as there would be so few cases. The fact that they refuse to cover this under warranty suggests that there are 1000s of showers like these.

The YouTube video below was recorded for sound & not for picture quality. In my humble opinion it's vibrations from motors like this is causing the damage to the sub standard plastic used:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Sounds like the bearings are shot!

Was that just out of the box?

wing52 wrote:
    Was that just out of the box?

Brand new out of the box. We've had dozens like this since the QT launched about 18 months ago. They are supposed to be tested in the factory.
    We've told the shower doctors, the mira rep here in Dublin and mira UK. Mira UK never respond. The shower doctors say they've had no complaints, that I'm the only one. Mira rep hasn't responded to me in almost a year. This shower is the biggest lemon I've ever had and they just don't seem to care.
    I emailed a complaint through one of my suppliers. A week ago my suppliers told me that mira said they are on it and will sort me out. A week later I still have had no contact from Mira.
    20%/25% of the showers we install are mira and yet 90% of the complaints we get are for Mira showers. It just doesn't make sense to me. Mira consume too much of my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

We purchased one of those showers last December and it has never worked properly since. Now I put it down to the plumbing as the tank that feeds it is not very high above the shower unit and I thought the issue was headage. What happens is the shower comes on and after a minute or so the pump gets very loud, the water temp increase/decrease and eventually the water stops coming out. At that stage I usually put the head on the ground as I think that helps clear any air and it works away again before I re-insert the shower in the holder. I have to do this every single time so after 3 months Im fed up as this is not very enjoyable.

I was thinking of getting a new shower that is mains fed but after reading this I am now thinking that it may not 100% be the plumbing and the location of the tank and the shower itself may be the issue.

I was going to contact Mira Support in the UK as I am not based in Dublin but in the South.

steps_3314 wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a new shower that is mains fed but after reading this I am now thinking that it may not 100% be the plumbing and the location of the tank and the shower itself may be the issue.

All you need is 80mm from the bottom of the tank to the top of the shower. Once you have this the shower should work fine.
    Did you not get the installer out to look at it?
    A mains fed shower usually is a bad idea for most parts of Ireland depending on the pressure.
    The issue you are having sounds like the shower is getting starved for water or it's another one of the many dodgy pumps
    If you need to get it repaired under warranty you must contact the Dublin number.

All you need is 80mm from the bottom of the tank to the top of the shower. Once you have this the shower should work fine.
    Did you not get the installer out to look at it?
    A mains fed shower usually is a bad idea for most parts of Ireland depending on the pressure.
    The issue you are having sounds like the shower is getting starved for water or it's another one of the many dodgy pumps
    If you need to get it repaired under warranty you must contact the Dublin number.

Looks like it's more than 80mm.i attached an image.the plumbing is awful but we are planning to tear all that out

steps_3314 wrote:
    Looks like it's more than 80mm.i attached an image.the plumbing is awful but we are planning to tear all that out

This one might not be miras fault. You lose head height for each elbow and the run of pipe. I don't think you are left with 80mm head height. But I'm just going on the photo without proper measurement

This one might not be miras fault. You lose head height for each elbow and the run of pipe. I don't think you are left with 80mm head height. But I'm just going on the photo without proper measurement

So plan was to remove the tank and buy a mains fed shower.what would some of the issues with these be

• Advertisement

steps_3314 wrote:
    So plan was to remove the tank and buy a mains fed shower.what would some of the issues with these be

Just make sure that you have good mains pressure. The mains pressure to the shower drops at peak times and if anyone else uses water in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hawthorn500

Wanting the easiest installation I replaced my old Mira elite 2 with the Mira qt model that seems to have a bad rep. Installation was pretty straight forward, basically a straight swap for elirte2. Shower pump noise is very quiet, so happy so far. Only have it a month though! You do have to be careful with screws for front panel as you can see plastic warping a bit if you over-tighten. Will see how it holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Topgun gune

Hi would it be possible that some of you showers are connected to the incoming mains cold water supply and others connected to the main storage cold water tank??

Hi would it be possible that some of you showers are connected to the incoming mains cold water supply and others connected to the main storage cold water tank??

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    Some electric showers are designed for mains supply only and some electric showers are designed for tank fed only.
    If you have a mains fed shower then you usually need to replace it with a mains fed shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    Some electric showers are designed for mains supply only and some electric showers are designed for tank fed only.
    If you have a mains fed shower then you usually need to replace it with a mains fed shower.

I think that's what they mean, are some of the showers hooked up to the wrong supply for what they are designed for.

pippip wrote: »
    I think that's what they mean, are some of the showers hooked up to the wrong supply for what they are designed for.
    In this thread they all seem to be connected to the correct water supply. A mains fed shower wont work if connected to the tank. Pressure switch wont activate & there'll be no hot water. Mains feed to a pumped electric shower usually springs a leak the first few times its used, though I have seen them last a year or two.Then the poor shower repair guy explains that they need a new shower. Homeowner doesn't know to trust this advice cos in their mind shower worked perfectly before.

Since June I've fitted over 500 Triton T90sr showers. We've had one blown element under warranty. Thats it, only one failure. My hardest job with the Triton T90SR has been the last few months Triton has been fazing out the soap dish on the shower pole. Some people don't care about the soap dish & some are giving me a hard time about it but that's the extent of my stress with this shower. Last week I was dealing with Mira about 3 separate showers under warranty. A fourth one popped up last weekend. The Mira Elite QT started leaking at the filter. First time I heard of this happening & I'm guessing it's a one off & not another reoccurring issue. Possibly a dodgy seal or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

First of 3 x QT's I fitted in 2016 had new pump fitted under warranty last week...

CGI_3 wrote:
    First of 3 x QT's I fitted in 2016 had new pump fitted under warranty last week...

Can I ask how many you have fitted so far? Just wondering is 3 a lot for the amount that you have fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Can I ask how many you have fitted so far? Just wondering is 3 a lot for the amount that you have fitted?

Just 3 fitted so far, another to fit next week. Triton's tend to be more popular choice in my experience.

But, yeah, 1 failing out of 3 in a not so high usage scenario in less than 6 months isn't great.

• Advertisement

CGI_3 wrote:
    But, yeah, 1 failing out of 3 in a not so high usage scenario in less than 6 months isn't great.

That makes more sense to me. I thought I read that 3 pumps needed replacing

Advertisement