Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Danish art of 'hygge'

• 05-11-2015 4:21pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I read this article recently and it really stuck with me. I have been 'practicing' this since the weekend (yes 4 or 5 whole days, lol) but already I feel more relaxed and happy with myself. For me, I have been making time to just sit quietly and read a book with a scented candle and maybe a cup of tea. Nothing major but doing it every day even for 15 minutes before bed has been great and I will definitely continue to do it. I'm not sure if it's directly related to me feeling more relaxed and content this week but it's something worth reading about and giving a try :)
    Get cosy: why we should all embrace the Danish art of 'hygge'
    [...]
    The best explanation of hygge I’ve encountered during three years in the land of Nord is: “the absence of anything annoying or emotionally overwhelming; taking pleasure from the presence of gentle, soothing things”. Candlelight is hygge (Danes burn more candles per head than anywhere in Europe, according to the European Candle Association). Bakeries are hygge. Dinner with friends is hygge[...]

Full article here

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have decided that with being restricted to home so much at the moment, I will have to look to the Scandinavians to make the most of it. With long, dark winter days and very cold weather they are more used to spending time indoors during winter than maybe the rewt of us. Or maybe they just know how to make the most of it.

It's time to start shopping for a nice warm throw for the coach and the bed and get the nice scented candles out for every room too for starters :)

Have you done anything to make your living space more cosy recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't forgot there is also Lagom and friluftsliv!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've only recently heard of friluftsliv (it's the Norwegian equivalent of hygge, right?) but I don't know about lagom. Is it the same thing again in another country?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Koselig I think.

friluftsliv is all about making the most of the outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is basically how I live my everyday life - without the candles... I am old and housebound apart from a small occasional solitary airing to the gate... alone 24/7 so I decided to embrace and ENJOY it. And i do enjoy it hugely. It is a privilege and a blessing not to have to work or be anywhere.

Years ago I used to feel very lonely but i value myself more now and revel in my sweet luxurious solitude and peace .. my top bedding is hand made..

Candles no ., Need better light ....A soft lamp has the same effect.. Always on the small table at the foot of my bed flowers or twigs. ..and a few precious items so my eyes will meet them as soon as I wake,.

Oh and a tin of treats by my bed!

Being kind to yourself heals more than many folk realise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We're in the cosy time of the year again. It won't lift until at least the middle of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I have heard of this before, and frankly the Irish nation, and certain posters on this forum could do with it. The obsession with money, status, consumerism, etc has become utterly obscene, combined with, in some cases, a thoroughly nasty tendency to sit in judgement of those less fortunate.

Advertisement