Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That Brendan O’Connor sketch was good.

VOGUE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"That was Marie Louise O'Donnell talking about eating her first Wagon Wheel"
    haha... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And here's Michael Ring, Minister for Culchies, after his 3rd funeral of the day....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 purple_432

Oliver Callan just isn't funny, imo.

Tonight's show was good, especially the 'Late Late Show Country Music' sketch.

Which reminds me...to RTE One, post haste! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

purple_432 wrote: »
    Oliver Callan just isn't funny, imo.

Same old slapstick bull**** for donkeys years. Roaring and bawling like idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I don't mind the show. I don't find all the acts funny but it makes a break from the vanilla radio on offer. He's not as good as Rosenstock but he's still good in his own right. At least you can make out who he's trying to impersonate. Definitely not the worst show on RTE Radio One.

VonZan wrote: »
    I don't mind the show. I don't find all the acts funny but it makes a break from the vanilla radio on offer. He's not as good as Rosenstock but he's still good in his own right. At least you can make out who he's trying to impersonate. Definitely not the worst show on RTE Radio One.

Not much of a recommendation to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I listen to it. Sick of the Simon segment. Thought Lowry sketch was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Same old slapstick bull**** for donkeys years. Roaring and bawling like idiots.

I'm not a fan of that easy joke, where you just portray all the politicians as schoolkids and all roaring. It's lazy when you see that sort of thing.

But given they have a huge scope of different voices to tackle, I think they are doing a good job. The Mary Lou is particularly poor. Simon Coveney's speaking manner is so non-descript that it's very difficult to emulate and be convincing. But aside from that most of the impressions are very good. For what it is, I think they are doing a very good job.

Tubridy hosting a Country Special on the Late Late, Ray D'Arcy's Talk Show, Marian Finucane's lack of preparation
    The RTE jokes write themselves really!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I can only listen to the show for around 15 minutes. Even if I find it amusing I will still tune out after 15 minutes. A 30 minute show is just too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

statesaver wrote: »
    I can only listen to the show for around 15 minutes. Even if I find it amusing I will still tune out after 15 minutes. A 30 minute show is just too long.
    That's fourteen and a half minutes longer than me.  I've seen and heard better school productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The 'Dobbo' news bit is too long and tedious,he gets Finucane down to a tee though .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Good sketches on the RTE Orchestras and Feile '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Oliver Callan is great.
    He's the best comedian on politics we've ever had.
    We could use some of the US late night hosts here taking the piss outta our diabolical Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Also, people should read his news pieces scathing about politics and our elites in society is operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

zell12 wrote: »
    Also, people should read his news pieces scathing about politics and our elites in society is operating.

It's great how these commentators have all the answers, isn't it?

Be sure to let us know if he ever says anything constructive - or anything funny.

First Up wrote: »
    Be sure to let us know if he ever says anything constructive - or anything funny.

Don't hold your breath ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The most negative biased loads of crap I have come across in many a day, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oops69 wrote: »
    The 'Dobbo' news bit is too long and tedious,he gets Finucane down to a tee though .

I think he's toned back on the Marion skits especially the references to wine and gin

The most negative biased loads of crap I have come across in many a day, I find.

Even if that were true (which I don't think it is), it's still not enough of a counterbalance to offset the almost universal fawning adulation that we're served up with daily re. our political masters from the "impartial" media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I enjoy his show. He aims his fire unrelentingly at FG and FF and SF, Labour and the independents. Everyone gets a going over.

His Michael D is hilarious and has more than a hint of truth about the portrayal.

He also gives RTÉ a good kicking and most of it is Deserved.

Even if that were true (which I don't think it is), it's still not enough of a counterbalance to offset the almost universal fawning adulation that we're served up with daily re. our political masters from the "impartial" media.

‘Fawning adulation’ ‘served daily’!!!!

Butthers what radio outlet do you listen to?

‘Rock with young Fine Gael 24 hours coast to coast with DJ Alan ‘The Rock’ Shatther?

Check out Callans tweets, Uber negative my friend.

‘Fawning adulation’ ‘served daily’!!!!

Butthers what radio outlet do you listen to?

‘Rock with young Fine Gael 24 hours coast to coast with DJ Alan ‘The Rock’ Shatther?

Check out Callans tweets, Uber negative my friend.

I listen to the Nationals mainly, and read most of the broadsheets daily. The mainstream media's agenda in Ireland right now seems to be a complete dumbing down of the audience. The quality of journalistic endeavour makes me weep. Barry Egan was once a caricature; now his type of "journalism" seems to be the accepted norm. TV is appalling, to the extent that I pretty much only watch movies or Netflix etc. Recently my radio listening has decreased and I'm listening to more and more podcasts. RTE/TV3 and the Indo/Sindo seem not just content but intent on making celebrities out of talentless and stupid people - a sort of "Kardashian effect" if you will for Ireland.

I'm not saying Callan is the greatest political satirist of our time; but he seems to be the only comedian/commentator consistently having a go at the establishment at the moment.

I've said this previously on here (I think); I had high hopes for Leo when he first appeared on the scene. He's disappointed more than I could ever have imagined, and tries to smirk his way out of everything. I honestly wonder if he was straight, would be subjected to deeper scrutiny - but that's likely considered a homophobic question in these parts, when in fact it has nothing to do with it.

I honestly haven't seen the tweets as I'm rarely if ever on twitter.

I listen to the Nationals mainly, and read most of the broadsheets daily. The mainstream media's agenda in Ireland right now seems to be a complete dumbing down of the audience. The quality of journalistic endeavour makes me weep. Barry Egan was once a caricature; now his type of "journalism" seems to be the accepted norm. TV is appalling, to the extent that I pretty much only watch movies or Netflix etc. Recently my radio listening has decreased and I'm listening to more and more podcasts. RTE/TV3 and the Indo/Sindo seem not just content but intent on making celebrities out of talentless and stupid people - a sort of "Kardashian effect" if you will for Ireland.

I'm not saying Callan is the greatest political satirist of our time; but he seems to be the only comedian/commentator consistently having a go at the establishment at the moment.

I've said this previously on here (I think); I had high hopes for Leo when he first appeared on the scene. He's disappointed more than I could ever have imagined, and tries to smirk his way out of everything. I honestly wonder if he was straight, would be subjected to deeper scrutiny - but that's likely considered a homophobic question in these parts, when in fact it has nothing to do with it.

If you need Oliver Callan to articulate your political gripes, you are indeed in a desperate place.

If you need Oliver Callan to articulate your political gripes, you are indeed in a desperate place.

Except I didn't say I needed him to do so, did I?

My comments were more on the lack of political satire in this country as opposed to the UK or the US. God knows we need something to laugh at.

Except I didn't say I needed him to do so, did I?

My comments were more on the lack of political satire in this country as opposed to the UK or the US. God knows we need something to laugh at.
    Better keep looking then.

Well you should check them out.....pure negativity.

I have no problem calling people out if they don’t cut the mustard, but Callan seems to think that flinging mud at everything cuts the mustard.

Nothing to do with his Callans Kicks-different story, that’s satire and no problem with that.

But tweeting horseschidt totally anti establishment does nothing to convince this poster that he only thinks he is getting away with it.

He’s not.....complete clown who should stick to impersonations.

• Advertisement

New series begins Friday night at 6.30pm.

The return is badly timed - can’t see anything happening in Irish Politics in the next few weeks.

:pac:

Advertisement