Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning a trip abroad.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Found an advert on donedeal for paracord bracelets so got one made with rings for 2 keys for the motorbike

A36C9FC7-3942-4AF1-99E9-A6FBD183FD3C.jpg

Had it on for the last few hours as comfortable

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/6342719

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

The Don wrote: »
    This is a great video to watch to get some ideas of what/how to pack. It's amazing how much you can actually bring if you're determined and organised enough.
    Rick Peterson BMW GS1200 Kit Layout

Amazing video. Gave me a few tips for my trip

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Today is a day I'm glad I brought 100% waterproof overcoat and over trousers.
    Its hammering down in Milan and from the weather forecast its not gona stop. I'm going to have to suck it up and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

Always been a dream but would love to go to the states and cruise with my Harley I just love the sportsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

groovy123 wrote: »
    Always been a dream but would love to go to the states and cruise with my Harley I just love the sportsters

Expensive trip.
    I looked into it before. Shipping a bike to the USA and back costs about 2.5k if I remember correctly.

Renting a bike there works out about the same and you don't need to worry about all the shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StephenHa

Ive ridden for years across most of northern Europe. France demands that you carry up-to- date breathalysers and an emergency (folding obviously) triangle and reflective vest. I would advise wearing a reflective vest on every trip - day or night. If you don't have the gear and they stop you - you'll be fined. If you are caught speeding or indeed any offence they will drive you to the local cash dispenser to take the fine off you! If you claim not to have the cash. Speeding fines were around €200 when I last passed-through France.

Germany has similar attitudes but at least there you can ride to excess on certain (very few these days) autobahns.

It always rains in Belgium. Like always.

A GPS is essential but beware: it is an offence across most of Europe to have a GPS that shows the location of speed cameras. More fines!! If you can, turn this option off - especially while in France.

In most countries you can - slowly - filter through the middle of traffic if in a traffic-jam: avoid Antwerp and Brussels if possible. Local A and B roads through the countryside are wonderful anyway. But 'filtering' will be tolerated if you have your hazards flashing and go slowly. But you're always going to get that one cop!

I once had a race with two Holland motorcycle cops - at their invitation - down the A15 from Rotterdam.

Check out the IronButt website: ironbutt.com and learn from the experienced.

Ride safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

StephenHa wrote: »
    Ive ridden for years across most of northern Europe. France demands that you carry up-to- date breathalysers and an emergency (folding obviously) triangle and reflective vest. I would advise wearing a reflective vest on every trip - day or night. If you don't have the gear and they stop you - you'll be fined. If you are caught speeding or indeed any offence they will drive you to the local cash dispenser to take the fine off you! If you claim not to have the cash. Speeding fines were around €200 when I last passed-through France.

Germany has similar attitudes but at least there you can ride to excess on certain (very few these days) autobahns.

It always rains in Belgium. Like always.

A GPS is essential but beware: it is an offence across most of Europe to have a GPS that shows the location of speed cameras. More fines!! If you can, turn this option off - especially while in France.

In most countries you can - slowly - filter through the middle of traffic if in a traffic-jam: avoid Antwerp and Brussels if possible. Local A and B roads through the countryside are wonderful anyway. But 'filtering' will be tolerated if you have your hazards flashing and go slowly. But you're always going to get that one cop!

I once had a race with two Holland motorcycle cops - at their invitation - down the A15 from Rotterdam.

Check out the IronButt website: ironbutt.com and learn from the experienced.

Ride safe!

5 years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Don't rely on your phone and Google maps. I've data roaming and all the rest but it just wouldn't work. If the guy I bought the bike off hadn't given me a SatNav it would have been a fair hassle to get home (I had printed off Google maps but still, one wrong turn and that'd have been useless).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Just download offline maps from the play store, no data connection needed. There are a few different ones like map.me, offline maps, here, even Google offline maps, but I find Sygic the best. Install the app, download the maps you want and away you go, very straightforward.

• Advertisement

Planning my first road trip to Spain:

The ferry direct to Bilbao seem to be booked for my dates. Can anyone suggest a route either via U.K., or France?

Also, what can I expect to spend in terms of fuel and tolls?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Itineoman

I’m in northern Spain at the moment having ridden here from Cherbourg at the start of the month. Fuel is around 1.80 per litre last time I looked. Been walking the Camino del Norte for the past few weeks but due to pick up the bike in Bilbao this day next week. If you use Autoroutes it is an easy two day ride to Spain. I took the slow way avoiding tolls for the first day and then did Autoroute for day 2. Tolls are fairly expensive. I think I paid around @30/40 to get from Bordeaux to Bilbao.

However, I saw the Brittany ferries Pont Aven leaving Santander earlier this evening. I think it only came online recently and may be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

A good tip for travelling is to email yourself all important documents including bookings, passport, bike paperwork, absolutely anything you may need. it is always easy to access your emails from your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I need to get away this summer for a bit of solo time... Considering one of two routes: Ferry to Cherbourg and leaving again from Bilbao, doing Nantes, Bordeaux, Biarritz on the way; or in and out of Bilbao doing the north coast of Spain, over to Porto & back...

The idea is to do 10 to 14 days, small daily mileage, avoiding motorways, and stopping at interesting places... Taking in some culture and happy to spend a couple of days vegetating... Accommodation is likely to be Airbnb or similar, bike is an unfaired V7. It's not about accumulating km's, just about the adventure and finding interesting stuff...

Any recommendations?

Picos de Europa is highly recommended if travelling the north coast of spain. I almost did it last spring but headed east from Bilbao instead and regretted missing it - neighbour was there a few weeks later and confirmed that it is definitely the business.

I did travel the N260 along the southern Pyrenees as far as Perpignan which is just perfect - sweeping bends, mountain passes, rock tunnels, twisties and hairpins. Perfect surface. Stunning scenery. And practically empty.

Regarding France, the coastal route is a bit bland IMHO - lots of small towns and roundabouts, with a few big places like Nantes in between. Weather is Atlantic which means variable but mostly nice once south of the Loire.

There are some lovely biking roads as you travel farther south and a bit inland - Gorge of Tarn, Lots of scenic routes around Provence, Dordogne, the Lot and more. Southeast there are the balcony road mountain passes such as the Col d’Allos. Amazing scenery and lakes in the Verdon valley. Plenty of interesting and historic places to see as well, especially off the beaten track. Depends what you’re interested in.

Post edited by Itineoman on

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Any recommendations for the easiest way to ride to northern Sweden? I don't mind boat or train or riding, it just needs to be around 3 days or less of trip.

I've a few routes looked at and they are all ok. But maybe there is some unknown ferry service there that might be easier.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

If I remember correctly from when I spent some time in Hull, there was a ferry from Immingham to Sweden. Not sure if its freight only or not, but worth looking into!

Ferry is booked for mid July to Bilbao!

Can anyone recommend some good sites for cheap accommodation? The bookings for campsites don't seem to be open for July yet.

Im looking for cabins/rooms/whatever, just not pitching a tent as I'm on a basic bike with little luggage accomodation.

Which direction are you travelling in? Los Picos or Pyrenees?

Los Picos, I'm gonna stay mostly near the coast.

• Advertisement

I was that way on foot and with the bike this time last year and I used booking.com and airbnb to get places to stay. There wasn't a lot on offer in May but it probably picks up. Two things come to mind: If you stay along the coast you could pick up cheap hostel/albergue type places from the Camino del Norte which runs along the north coast for all of your way before you'd probably head south after Unquera. Second thing is you would want somewhere with reasonably secure parking for peace of mind. But I didn't find it great value as a solo traveller and a lot of the cheaper places weren't great tbh.

Here's a site that carries accommodation for the camino routes - https://www.mundicamino.com/servicios/hospedaje-recomendado/ You can set it to translate to English, choose the northern route and it should offer some possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Camping Laredo has pitches and rooms. Great location near to sports bar and a 7km long beach. About 30km west of Bilbao on the coastline

Thanks, but €120 a night is on the far upper end of my budget for accommodation... I usually set myself a low limit for places to stay, forces me to be creative and find unusual or interesting spots and gets you closer to locals...

I generally book a nice place for the first night and the last... So I booked a couple of places today. It allows me to get my bearings and begin to get a plan of action in place.

If I get desperate I'll buy a tent in decathlon when I get there.

I've extended my stay by a few days, so I hope there's places to stay when I get there 😬

Can anyone recommend what (if any) additional travel insurance I should take out?

My bike is insured with CN, so I have their breakdown cover. I also have the European Union Health Insurance Card & VHI... Do I need anything additional to that? Are there bike touring specific policies, and where do I find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Health insurance / travel policies often exclude anything except small scooters so make sure to check that. I used to get AA 5 Star back in the day but you already have the breakdown aspect covered (check how long for though).

You should be able to pay extra on a travel policy to get health cover for motorcycling included. You would be covered for treatment with an EHIC but not for getting home.

Life ain't always empty.

TBH, the health and recovery elements seem to be covered... I'm more concerned about unknown elements like loss of luggage, ferry's not going etc... I'm kinda shocked its so difficult to find...

Sorry for dragging this out, but it was actually quite difficult to find... Most travel insurance available on the Irish market will be invalidated if you are travelling on a bike greater than 125cc... I had lengthy conversations with both VHI & AA and was advised against taking one of their packages as they wouldn't honor a claim if it was discovered the bike was more than 125... That includes claims that don't even include the bike, like missed ferries or stolen cards...

I was put in touch with www.trailfinders.ie and while they don't specifically provide motorcycle touring cover, they do mention motorcycles in their terms and all seems to be above board...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Last year I used multitrip.com and if you choose grade 3 under sports and activities, you're coverered for bikes bigger than 150 cc or something.

I did have to make a claim for a return flight which I received about 6 months after flying home. As with all of these companies, if you're stuck over there, you're probably going to need the means to return home yourself (unless its a medical thing) but i did get the cash back in full tbf

• Advertisement

You have CN breakdown and you have EHIC. VHI won’t do much for you unless something unthinkable happens. I remember getting a fairly expensive one trip policy in 2018 that covered everything- can’t remember offhand but will try to find it and edit post later

As I found out with a Motorhome on an autoroute last summer it can be pay now and claim later. ( but without any hassle in doing so )

Hopefully nothing goes wrong and biking in most of Europe is such a stress free and safe thing hopefully you’ll not need to use any of it. One thing I noticed is the claim lines answer instantly any time of day or night. They know you’re in trouble if you call.

Advertisement